What have accomplished with your carmera?

SCbowhunter

Reaction score
1) Using scents?

2) Mock scrapes?

3) Scarpe activity?

4) Rub activity?

5) Buck discover that you never knew that existed?

6) Feeding times at certain places (acorns or bait)

7) Nocturnal only areas?

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
I found out the deer in my area do not like peanut butter, I had always heard that they liked it so I put some out . Two weeks later I got a few pics of a couple stray dogs.
They will check out mock scrapes, I've got several pics of nice bucks visiting these sites.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Nocturnal
I've found out that deer are way more nocturnal than I thought they were,  90-95% of my deer pix's are in the dark.  

Also, the Conservation Department bought the adjoining land to one of the places I set out cam's and the deer are even MORE nocturnal.  Now I bet 99.9% of the pix's on that land are after dark compared to ~90-95% before they bought it.   Altho there don't seem to be that much pressure on the state land, what little pressure there is is all it took to make the deer more nocturnal and the Deer seemed to stay nocturnal all year too (thru the summer)    I about quit bowhunting over there because of this, felt like what's the use......

Ground Scrapes
I have a limited amount of experience on Ground Scrapes because where I find them is a little too exposed to hang a cam over but most of the bucks I get pix's of are 6pts are less.  I especially got a lot of 4 ptrs (and does).  I guess they visit them more often than the big guys or maybe they are just a lot more of them.  I usually can't tell if it's the same buck or not.

Fences
One last thing, but I'm not real sure about this.   It seems most of my bigger buck pix's are taken near fences.  Could it be that the bucks are more used to smelling humans around fences and are less skittish about it?  Are they smelling my scent on cams not near fences and avoiding the area?   or am I just recognizing better sign near fence crossings.  I'm going to be paying more attention to this this year

Movement
There are times when nothing is moving and I won't get a pix of anything for a week or 2, even when I got out several cams.  Then all of a sudden, all the cam's start getting pix's of animals.  It's like something in the weather or ? triggers movement and it's not just deer, I'll go from no pix's of anything to pix's of all kinds of animals?

Tinhorn

kmitch

Reaction score
We found out that hunting after Dec 1 in our area is pointless. The hunting pressure has driven the deer 100% nocturnal. Also the rut starts the last week in October.

I have not bow hunted in the past. Next season I'll start the first weekend in October bow hunting, hunt the last week of Oct muzzleloader and hunt the month of November modern rifle. Then shutdown until spring turkey season.

Pgumby68

Inactive
Reaction score
I'll go along with everybody else on the deer becoming nocturnal. Also, all of that "big buck" sign is not always from big bucks.

woodsman

Reaction score
My last roll of film I had more day pictures than night That was about a month ago.

vman

Reaction score
I seem to get more day pics then I thought I would.    I set a cam up over a scrape from last fall and I have yet to get a deer pic from it.  

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Interesting observations Tinhorn! You're "movement" observations gets me thinking:

Has anyone compared when deer pics were taken to the moon phases OR those "peak activity" charts to see if there's any correlation? During times of a full moon it is said that deer travel more during the mid-day. I have NEVER found this to be true in my area but have heard and read it MANY times. Seems like if this was true we would get more pics during the mid-day then.?.? Of course the peak activity charts claim to be able to tell you a time frame when the most activity will occur for each day. It would be interesting to compare to either add credibility or debunk these charts and moon phase theories!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
CFB,

I'm a hobby programmer and have been working on a Moon Program that tracks moon phases and Moon Position (See Lunatics Forum)  Some features work on it and some things are "Under Construction" but there does seem to be a correlation in movement based on the Moon.  I entered about 10yrs of my Bowhunting Diary and the program compared "when I seen deer" and when I "didn't" to the Moon Times (both Phase and Position, separatly)  Unfortunately, I only hunted ~144 times in 10 yrs (an AM hunt and PM hunt is 2 hunt times in my calculations, even if the hunt occured on the same day) and that's not a lot of data.....

I started modifications that will compare "Pix Times" to the Moon Times but it's a long way from being done, there is no output on this feature at this time.

Some of the Data this program generated for this year is on the Lunatic Forum if you havent' seen it.

Tinhorn

Arrowhead

Reaction score
The thing my camera gives me is confidence that there are some good bucks in the area.

Beginning of the season I got nice buck pic's during the daylight hours. Some of the same bucks in the area at night. Later in the season the larger racked bucks are only photogenic at night.

I go pic's of two decent bucks, and 8 pt. and a 7 pt. that were harvested 2 months after the first pic was taken. I got pic's of them in Sept. and Oct. They were still around but unseen until November when they were shot.

I move my cameras a after each roll to new locations so when I get pic's of the same bucks I get an idea of thier core area, directions they head.

So my big thing is confidence.

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I didn't know there was such a forum Tinhorn! Come to think of it, I haven't checked out ANY of the other forums! Guess I should do that sometime...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom