What is a good bolt action 22 for kids first gun?

Modocer

Reaction score
I would like to buy my kids each a bolt action 22. It is going to be their first guns so I am looking at intro level price. What is a good gun for the money? What should I be looking for, what should I avoid? Thanks

solus

Reaction score
Cricket are the go to for little kids and they even come in pink for girls. I personally like marlin better. Savage makes one too.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Solus Is correct. The Crickets with a wood stock look almost exactly like my Grandad's old Model 67 Winchester, except about half the size. Since that was what my son started shooting rabbits with, I bought Crickets for his kids when they turned two. (Got the pink one for my granddaughter.) I wanted to be sure that I got them their first gun, and since guns are something my family doesn't sell --- I figure fifty or sixty years from now they will have something to remember them of their grandfather.

They each shot them a few times at the cabin and their backyard, but they really aren't that accurate.

For what I wanted, the Crickets were cheap and cute; but they are really not high quality firearms.

AllDayBD

Reaction score
The Savage Rascal 22LR is a good cheap first gun which comes in multiple colored stocks. Good size, Savage Accutrigger, light, and a single shot bolt action. View attachment 85881

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I guess that depends on the size of the child. My son was large for his age so I purchased a full size Ruger. He loved it and still does he is now 35. He was 9 and he got it as a gift for passing his hunter safety course. The problem with the really small guns is they will outgrow them but then if it gets them interested in shooting then it would be money well spent. I highly recommend the bolt action over a semi auto. I think it made my son a better shot. He never developed the attitude that he could just shoot again if he missed.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Wino

Reaction score
I got my son the Savage Rascal. He likes it a lot. Pretty accurate. I like that it has a rear aperture sight. Easier for him to shoot. Single shot, so he slows down and tries to make the shot count. Also hard to blow through a lot of ammo. Which is good as 22lr are still hard to come buy. He's got his first rabbit the other week with it and now he's hooked and wants to go every day.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Reaction score
I got the CZ 452 Scout. (.22LR) It's a bolt-action repeater. It first comes with a fake magazine that turns it into a single shot rifle to slow them down where they have to slide in each catridge themselves when the bolt is open. Real quick he got better at the shots and that got annoying so then I bought an extra 10-rd Mag to go with the 10-Rd Mag they included in the original purchase. Daddy works at constantly loding up the other mag. And...initially... the operation of the bolt is a bit stiff in the last throw down part of the bolt handle to rotate the bolt into the closed position. The 2nd time we took him out I had clean and re-oiled everything, especially places like that which do a bit of rubbing together. Such as where the bolt handle slides down into the cutout notch for it to rest in. Like night and day difference in the smoothness of the feel of the action.

We were shooting CCI Subsonic easily without hearing protection in place, and at 40Yds I had my boy popping the necks off ShockTop Aluminum Beer Bottles. Looked like his misses occurred when he got overzealous and overconfident and punched the trigger instead of the gradual squeeze necessary. Shoots well shouldered to an adult as well.

OPAH

Reaction score
Are you fixed on a Bolt action. I got my son and daughter Rosse pump actions 22LR they loved them have been trouble free and now their Kids are using them.

Rick

Reaction score
I second the CZ Scout. You can also use the 5-shot mags later as well as buy a full-size stock so the rifle grows with the child and can be used for life. My son loves my Rossi pump, though, and shoots it very well. He likes "traditional" styled firearms. He got another jack rabbit right after this picture was taken and hit it in the head, too.

Last edited:

eoats

Reaction score
+1 for the CZ Scout 22LR.

My first rifle was a .22 Winchester single shot bolt, then I bought a Marlin 795 for my own fun, a Browning BL & now a few months ago a CZ 455.

Only the Browning compares in quality of build. Accuracy out of the box is way better and for something to grow with; as mentioned its got a lot of potential.

Top Bottom