What is it about August?

Tominator

Reaction score
August always gets me pumped up for deer hunting. Yeah, it's hot as all get out, but I know that it will soon be gone and I can start climbing trees again. I absolutely love those first crisp cool days of fall. I realize spring makes a lot of people feel great, but fall does it for me. Deer killing then bring on the ducks!!! Maybe I'm not old enough yet, but spring to me isn't the time of rebirth that it is to most. Instead, it signifies the end of all things I can hunt (turkey season is actually a very sad time if you think about it) and the death rays of summer aren't far away.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I'm with you there, Tominator... at least when living back east.

Now I'm in CA, I have year-round pig hunting to take my mind off the deer for a while. Varmints are open all the time as well, and rabbits and deer open in July.

Hmmm... no wonder I like it out here.

Lan-Lord

Reaction score
man, I dont know what it is, but I start getting all my hunting stuff out, cleaned and ready to go in August.. then I just have to wait.. and by the time the first cold snap comes around in sept/oct I'm ready to go! In the fall, I think my neck starts to swell up, I'll paw at the ground, sniff the air, and chase my wife around the house too.

Masterhunter

Reaction score
Went scouting this morning before it go too awaful ot. Saw 3 deer and discovered a fawn skeleton.
I only wore a bugsuit over my shorts and I must have lost 5 lbs of water, my bugsuit and shots were soaked.

Funny thing about the skeleton was the ribs were still attached although all the meat was picked clean. I guess buzards, crows & small predators must have cleaned it to the bone.

I feel like Tominator does but we also have some wild hogs to hunt as well so there is always a reason to hunt & scout.

cavey

Reaction score
August, you can smell fall in the air, just a hint, but you know its there --- just a little out of reach but, its coming -- especially as it cools down in the evening, and the cool breezes blows across your shoulders, that feeling always teleports me to my treestand.... its coming

HingeTree1992

Reaction score
I think we all understand the way you feel. I get antsy around this time of year also. When August hits, the fishing starts to slow down and I begin to go less. I just sit around the house and dwell on the idea of sitting in a treestand. We still have a while here in Ohio. Bowseason doesn't open up until September 30.

Top Bottom