What is it??

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
This pic was in one of my last rolls of film. It was time stamped at 00:15 (15 past midnight)
What do you all think?
By the way, the tree limb is about 18" from the ground and 25' from the camera

shufigo

Reaction score
Sure looks like the south end of a northbound squirrel. Don't know what he'd be doing up so late tho.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I thought so too..... but where is the tail?
this thing has no real noticeabe tail.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Looks like something coming down the tree to me.  I can see a smile on the right above the leg on the right.  You can see the shadow of the head on the tree.  Looks kind of mean, whatever it is.  What kind of little critters you got up there in NY.  

LW

Reaction score
Come on guys, it's obvious. It's a swat tailed flannigan, got alot of 'em here in Arkansas, generally they don't show till 12:25 - 12:30a.m. so you might say it's an "early swat tail flannigan"  (we call 'em swatties) you cook them in lard with the hair on. Mmmmm good!  Then we all gather 'round and have a contest to see who can cough up the biggest hair ball. My uncle Elmer is the state swattie ball champion. (not bragging, just a fact we are all proud of)  You'll never get a close up of a swattie, as you can see by shrtcirkt's pic they are camera shy. Way to go shrtcirkt!

Stever

Reaction score
Swampfox I am with you flyin squirel. However I have little knowldege of a Swattie so... it might be possible. Let me know when that competition is sorry I think I am busy that day LOL

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
I have seen lots of groundhogs climb trees just never at night, its a little thin to be a groundhog too... I give up?

woodsman

Reaction score
Looks like a rabbit ,not sure, to bad the pic wasnt clearer:surprised-purple:

deerdad

Reaction score
I would say flying squirrel too. We have a lot of
them around our house at night time. The things are
curious and will follow you around gliding from tree
to tree. It's a little unsettling when you're in your
treestand before light and the things are landing just
above your head. When you here a scratchy tick on a
tree, turn your light on it and you will see it quickly
climbing up the tree.

Greg

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I don't know. Hard to tell from that pic. It is nocturnal, no doubt being out at that time of night.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Well, looks like this one is really tough. It looks to me that the animal is going "up" the tree. It looks like it's hind legs are stretched behind it in this pic. Odd thing is I can see any tail or head.
I am going to place a camera out in the same area tonight when I go back upstate, maybe I'll get another pic or two....

MBullism

Reaction score
That one is really tough.  I think it's headed up the tree, but the more times I look the more it looks like a flannigan...

BuckSnort

Reaction score
Come on guys, It's obviously a spotted head burowing yak!!  Seriously I have no clue.

whitetailfan

Reaction score
I had my brother-in-law, who is a Veterinary student to take a look at it and without telling him what I thought it was, and he said exactly what I said. It is an animal not native to the US, however, given the appropriate surroundings and vegetation it can survive. It has probably escaped from someone (as a pet) or a zoo. The animal is a Phascolarctos cinereus or more commonly called the Australian, Koala Bear. If there is any mistletoe or eucalyptus trees around, it's probably what she's eating. I say she because the females are almost completely nocturnal while the males eat all day long. Sounds a little far fetched I know but that's just what I think. The only other thing I think it could be is the infamous, Chuppacabra. Yeah right!!!

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna have to go with a Gremlin.  Looks kinda hungry too.  Be careful when you reset the cam.

Gumboyaya

Reaction score
its some kinda hawk, looks like its taking off from the limb.
gumbo

Latest Posts

Top Bottom