What is the best plan of action?

P304X4

Reaction score
This is a discussion from SOCNET:

http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=131800

I know there are teachers/former teachers here as well as parents/grandparents raising children and would like to know your thoughts as well. My response would be based on military training that many are not privileged to and would not be able to pass such training on to their children. Is anything being discussed by school boards to upgrade classrooms that would secure them and deny entry to the perpetrator?

Last edited:

Common Sense

Reaction score
I don't have answers, wish I did. We had a bomb threat at my school once --- and all the students lined up in rows all clumped together in the middle of the playground. I was hoping that someone wasn't planning a school shooting.

We stayed out in the open for the better part of an hour. The fire dept got all excited when they saw a PVC pipe with capped ends on my desk (storage for art prints).

OPAH

Reaction score
My granddaughters elementary school had a shooting while she was at school, the blind terror one goes thru waiting the hear the son, daughter , grand kids are safe is beyond belief.
But just as this one, protocols were not followed and bad people that should not have been allowed on the school or the police immediately called when they were seen was not followed.
we can not bullet proof every classroom but we can keep most of them off of the school property. Vigilance of the school administration faculty and students is a Must, in both cases the faculty were aware of these people and the danger they presented, they walked in the front doors with rifles and handguns mind you they walked in with RIFLES.
Lock down procedures need to be followed before these loons can get into the school.

Last edited:

Marty

Reaction score
You would need to check with each school district to see if they are planning facility upgrades to address the issue at hand. In general, nothing happens overnight and budget expenditures for the next school year are not approved until staffing negotiations are completed. In general, most elementary schools are gated to keep the students inside. Middle and High schools are wide open; or are not thorough in securing their perimeter. We have both cases. There were also cases where unknown persons entered a school campus by walking straight through the front office. And even when you have a locked gate around the school, there always seems to be another employee who leaves a gate wide open.

Around here, the armed response is provided by an appointed school resource officer (Deputy Sheriff) who may be responsible for four or five schools. Schools may have from one to five unarmed staff members (typically one full-time and the rest part-time) to monitor the campus activities; depending on the size of the student population.

The threat protocol calls for active review based on the threat level: evade, shelter or evacuate. Apparently this is a secret policy because the schools do not publish or disseminate the information to the students or substitute teachers. It's kind of a "do what you are told" situation.

Can you teach the students? Yes, depending on their level of comprehension. And yet, you will still have the random child who cries "wolf" when they see the gardener with a leaf blower and scream out that it is a "man with a gun." (no joke, it really happened)

By second grade, the students know that a gun or knife does not belong at school. Over the years, I have heard of only two instances where a pistol was brought onto a high school campus. The first was a guy bragging to others, and the second was a guy contemplating harm to himself.

Top Bottom