What is this?

Possum

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this or know what it is.  They are falling in a Hellhole Swamp here in SC.  This is my first year hunting down there and I am wondering if the deer are eating these.  There are tracks around.  It is like an olive almost.  It is fleshy inside with a seed that is thin but long.  When you break it some of them have wine red juice in them.  They were raining down yesterday.   The trees they are coming from are in a swamp that normally is waste deep in water.  This is the first year I have seen it dry in 5 years.  I turkey hunt the property but this is my first fall hunting deer there.

Sorry about the pic, they are dark brown or wine colored kind of like an eggplant color.

(Edited by Possum at 9:50 pm on Oct. 13, 2001)

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Possum. what about conacting the DFG and let them know so maybe they can do reserch on it. Hopefully its not something that is harmfull, if its ok for the deer to eat, you might have a great spot if the deer come around to eat it. Good Luck.

Looks like an olive to me!!!

jerry d

Reaction score
Don't know the scientific name but when I was a kid(many, many years ago) growing up in Georgia we called them "ink balls" since the "juice" was sometimes the color of dark ink.

If I remember correctly, the ones I recall were some form of "fungus" that grew on oak trees. They fell off in the fall of the year and stained your skin if you cut them open and the juice came in contact with your hands.

Top Bottom