What kind of camcorder do you own?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome everyone to the forum. I just started getting serious into video a few years ago. I bought a Sony TRV-10 camcorder last year and I'm still figuring it all out. So far I love the cam. Most of my video is hunts, animals, and landscapes in southern California.

I still haven't done any editing yet, I don't even have a firewire card. I'm getting a lot of video tape so hopefully here in the near future I'll get some editing hardware and try it out.

How about the rest of you, what kind of cam do you have and what are your favorite subjects? Also, how long have you been a videobug?

gizz

Reaction score
I haven't gone digital yet. I have 2 PV-IQ series Panasonics that I also use mainly for hunting. Both VHS-C's. I have adopted one for use in my videocam but it can still be used independently. My favorite time is coming up with Spring Gobbler season here in PA. Usually a group of 4 or 5 go out several times and "set up". I don't usually carry a gun but rather the palmcorder and a homemade tree-attached camera mount. Nothing better than filming a strutting Tom coming in to the decoys.
I ordered some "dazzle" hardware/software couple days ago and may have ordered the wrong stuff based on Blackwater's reply to another post. The hardware is a USB device and now I'm hearing talk about a "Firewire".
Could someone give a short tutorial on "Digital Video Creation"? Either Analog or Digital input?

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Sony TRV-103.  Records in digital on 8mm tape.  Got it two years ago for my trip to Miane.  Got video of bear, moose and fisher.  Later I shot some video of deer during archery season.  

I've taken most of my video and create mpeg files using Dazzle here at work.  I've got them all burned onto CDROM.  Don't know if I have anything small enough to post.
Gizz,
We'll have to get together sometime.  I work done here in Harrisburg and occasionally get up your way.

ToddP

(Edited by ToddP at 12:44 pm on Mar. 16, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
Todd - Sounds like a good idea. I'm in the Jersey Shore/Pine Creek area. What are you using for "Dazzle" hardware and software? I ordered the DVC 80 setup but know very little about it. It retails from their site for $70 but I got it from egghead for $56. Seems a little "cheap" but if it works as advertised it should do what I want.
Where are you working in Harrisburg? I did some work for Dauphin County Drug & Alchohol a while back. I was going their about once every other month or so but things have kinda slowed down with them.

JohnnyP

Reaction score
I've got a Canon ZR-10, purchased recently and I'm am very impressed with it so far.  It's small, lightweight and handy, perfect for the outdoorsman.  I'm still learning it's functions but believe I made the right choice for what I was looking for.

wvhunter

Reaction score
Recently got a Sharp VL-AH30U Viewcam which uses HI-8 and so far love it.  Haven't played with it enough to learn all the features.  Hope to tape some turkey hunts this spring.

Would like to hear more about the Dazzle hardware/software.  I would like to be able to capture video as well as stills from my tapes.  

ChrisP

Reaction score
I bought a Sony TRV-87 Hi8 and a Pinnacle DC10+ capture package.  I like it a lot, there were some setup problems with the card but I got it sorted out.  

I didn't really want digital because of the expense and shorter tape/battery duration because I would be carrying it on long mtn. bike rides, but one thing I do wish I had is the still picture feature on many of the digital camcorders.  I bought a "Snappy" for extracting photos from my tapes but to get one as clear as those digital cameras take you need to point the camera at a stationary subject for 30 seconds.  It's great for taking close up shots of tiny things but more often than not I just grab my cheap little 640x480 digital still camera for pictures.

In the future I will probably get a MiniDV setup but not for a long time.  I just recently bought a folding tripod, I never thought I would need one but now I use it all the time.

JD

Reaction score
I just found this site and like it already. I bought the Canon GL 1 last year before hunting season. I used the camera to tape my hunts and got great results with it. I do wish I could of spent the extra money on the Canon XL1 but I'm happy with what I got. I ended up getting the Dazzle Digital Video Creator to edit my video but found it takes up alot of space on the computer. I hope to learn alot from the people here.

JD

M

Michael

I've got the TVR 103 and like it a lot.  I like the newer model Sony's better because they have Memory Stick capability for stills.  If I were getting one today, I'd probably go with the 520.

I have a Sony Laptop with i-link that I do most of my capturing with.  I mostly use Ulead Video Studio, which came with the firewire card I bought for my desktop, to do web video.   I've also been playing around with Adobe Premiere for some home editing purposes.

Here are a few recent clips I've taken:

Twin Turkeys (2.2megs)

Last Year's Turkey

This one is from two camera angles

Michael

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
ohh mannn,  I have a TRV 103 also but my computer is win 95.  Need USB & 98 to do video capture & edit for this quality.  IwantaIwantaIwantaIwantaIwantaIwanta
to be able to make videos like these.
Todd

(Edited by ToddP at 1:27 pm on April 27, 2001)

ctwny1

Reaction score
I just bought a Sony TRV120. Really nice pictures on Hi8 video tape.

Elk Bowhunter

Reaction score
I've been video taping mine and my friend’s bow hunts since 1987 when I purchased my first VHS camera. Then, in 1991, I wanted to make a living bow hunting and selling videotapes so I purchased a Super-VHS camera. I soon found out I could not afford the professional video editing, so that dream went out the window. In 1998 I purchased my first Sony Hi-8 camera, a TRV-95. (It was stolen in November while being used in my homemade video trail camera). I purchased a Sony TRV-520 in July of 2000 and a Sony TRV-58 last summer. I am just now getting into editing on the computer using a Dazzle firewire card and ULead software. I just got Adobe Premiere, but can't get it to recognize my camera, so I capture using ULead and edit with Adobe. I sure wish they had computer editing in 1991 when I first wanted to hunt and video for a living. Things might be very different for me now!

foulshot

Reaction score
I just not to long ago got a TRV-330 from Sony.  I too am new to trying to do the video editing stuff, but look forward to putting together my own montages together.  I think I spelled that right.  The thing that I liked about this cam was that you can take stills with it, not the quality of a digital camera, but good enough for impromptu shots.

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Sony TRV-140.  Just got a Firewire Card and have done some importing and editing.  I can't wait to take it in the field.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
I currently own a Sony TRV-320. It works great.

I had another Sony Hi 8 but it broke. I was able to use a Studio 400 to transfer a couple video's.

Why did the turkey cross the raod

Piebald Hen

I forot I had these. THe Studio 400 unit I got doesn't work with my Digital 8 Camera.

saltwaterslick

Reaction score
Spectr... I too have a TRV10 and I love mine as well.  I got a Vaio laptop PIII with the sony DV software and it works great.  I've been video hunting since 1990.  Started with old VHS then went to a full featured SVHS then to the Sony MiniDV.  Have many kills (and lots of misses) from friends and my son.  Editing is a breeze with the all sony set up.  I would highly recommend it.  I am about to spring for the new Sony PC115 camera all the same features as the TRV10, but half the size and higher resolution.  I got a Walkman VCR with the built in screen and editing equipment from Santa (wife) this year, and this has allowed me to step up in editing/duplicating MiniDV tapes and converting to MPEG is a snap.  The Vaio laptop has a RW-DVD-ROM drive.  I've about reached the point that I'm more excited about the video hunts than I am the rifle and almost the bow stuff.  With camera and Ghillie suit from D2Stalker and my recurve, I'm deadly!!

willeveret

Reaction score
I have a Sony TRV 520. I have just recently started experimenting with digital editing on the computer and sure am amazed with the quality of it. excellent camera so far and it keeps getting better the more I use it and learn to use the features more. Just moved up to Alaska this past year and am planning on getting some footage on tape this fall. I some cool footage of ice fishing for Artic Char up here. I would put some clips on this website but I don't know how to post stuff like that.

Craig Steele

Reaction score
I have been filming for about five years now but I am only 22years old.  I live in North west arizona.  I just got my first digital camera back in April.  I saved a whole year to get a Sony VX-2000.  I contiplated get the XL-1 but my final decision was made because of the 12x optical zoom offered by Sony and the fact that alot of reveiws seem to lean towards the Sony.  I also like the reliability of Sony, although I have nothing bad to say about Canon.
I have a Dell 8200 which I do my editing on, in conjuction to usind Pinnacle Studio Dv 7.  So, far it seems to be working great.  My only complant is I purchased a lens for the Sony in which I do not care for at all!  
Right, now I am waiting the seasons to start so I can film some hunts, thats if we even get to go hunting here in Arizona.  I'm going to produce some of my own videos and I hope to get my first video out by next summer but thats if I get the shots that I need.
Right, now I have a killer scene of me taking a P&Y antelope at twenty yards & my brother-n-law taking a 330 class bull and 24 yards with his bow along with a lot of great other on film.  But thoughs shots were on VHS and I wish I had them on dv.  Godd luck to you all!!

Thanks
Craig Steele

Alasken

Reaction score
I got hooked on digital video a couple of years ago. I have a Canon Optura, which has worked fine, but my next camera will be the Canon GL.

I do my editing on a Mac G4. I have two 30G hard drives for my video storage, and run Apple's Final Cut Pro from a 10G hard drive. I also use Cleaner 5 for compression and can turn the video into QuickTime, Real Player, or Windows Media Player. Man I love this stuff, and love talking about it.

Willeveret, regarding your question about posting, you have to have the video clip on a server somewhere and post a link to it. I have taken advantage of free storage space throught Apple.

Advertisement

Top Bottom