What kind of camera(s) do you have?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome everyone to the forum. I just started getting serious into photography a few years ago. Recently I purchased an Olympus 2100UZ digital camera and I'm still figuring it all out. So far I love the camera. Most of my photography is animals, wildflowers and landscapes in southern California.

How about the rest of you, what kind of camera do you have and what are your favorite subjects? Also, how long have you been a shutterbug?

gizz

Reaction score
Did anyone ever hear of the Canon OWL/Date? I've got 10 of them.
Oh Yea and a little cheapo UMAX digital 1000 series. I'm still kickin tires on a decent digital but haven't made up my mind just yet.

(Edited by gizz at 8:24 am on Mar. 16, 2001)

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Canon Owl PF??????  You know.... I think I've got a couple of them hanging on the peg board in the garage.  Don't know what I'll ever do with them.  Oh well,  I guess they'll go to yard sale along with those RS PIR and PVC boxes I have laying around too.

ToddP

robNhood

Reaction score
Olympus C3000 digital. 3.4 megapixel. Now if I could figure out how to operate it to it's fullest, that would be great.

coyote

Reaction score
Hi Jess
Photography is a passion of mine.  I've ammassed a small fortune into gear but never regeted it.  
Over the years I've run Canon's and nikon's and been pleased with thier performance.  Wildlife is all I do.
Currently I use:
2Nikon F90s with mb10 lith-pack.
Nikon af50mm 1.4
80-200 f2.8
300 f2.8
1.4 and 2x af converts

I sold my Canon XL1 and video gear after producing a couple vids.  Still have all my pc editting gear and a ZR10 Canon minidv Cam.
love to post some images for ya if I can get caught up here..yoteee'

marmot

Reaction score
I bought the only waterproof model I could find at the time. An Olympus Infinity Twin. It has served me well for many years.

wvhunter

Reaction score
I use a Minolta 430si and a Nikon FE.

Haven't gotten a digital yet.  But I am starting to look around for one.

Saskman

Reaction score
I just ordered an Olympus 2100UZ this afternoon.  I have been considering buying this camera for the last month or so and just rounded up enough money to get it. It should be in in a week and a half or so.  Can't wait.

B

burfurd

Greetings,
Just about finished making my first trail camera setup and am giving it to my son to use.  I will try to make photo and post when finished.  The 35mm I use is a Canon A1 and the digital is a Fuji 1400 Finepix Zoom.  Have had the Fuji about 3 months and still getting used to it but its doing fine job.  Appreciate all the help this website has been in the building of the trailcam.
burfurd

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
I have a Nikon N80 with various lenses.  In about a month I will be selling all my Nikon gear and getting a Canon D30 (and lenses).  It's time to move up to a digital slr for me and Nikon is priced too high (D1H, D1X).  I love my Nikon and it was a hard decision, but having instant results is a plus.

btw, I do have an old Olympus D500L from 1997 (I believe) that I use for my digital camera right now.

Eric

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I have wired into several digital cameras for trail cams and the one with the best pictures, size, battery power, and easy of wiring and use was the Canon Elph S100.  (High resolution pictures require large memory cards. 32 M gives about 51 pictures with the next to the highest setting.) The pictures are outstanding.  I am not a photographer by no means but and avid deer hunter with and Electrical Engineering degree specializing in electronics.  After taking several models apart the two that seem to stand out are the New Sony P-50 and the Canon Elph S100.  I do not believe you can go wrong with either one.  I lean towards the S100.

I have wired into a Sony TRV-818 video camera too and it works great.  The only major problem with the video camera is the manual movement of the infrared lens inside the housing.  You must use solenoids or a servo to push the nightshot back and forth to allow the camera to see at night.  I found a glass infrared lens to put over a Q-beam which gives off enough infrared light for the camera to focus really well out to 40 or 50 yards.  The Q-beam will provide more light but the camera cannot focus consistently at really long ranges.  The best pictures seem to be at about 30 yards.  I use radio control to separate the infrared sensor from the video camera allowing me to put the camera up in a tree for theft safety.

Brian

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Hello Brian,

Would you want to share your knowledge of these digital cameras and camcorders in the Homebrew Game Camera section? I haven't taken any digital cameras apart yet, too chicken.

Gizz has been working on a camcorder set up. I'm sure he would like to share ideas with you.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I don't know how much help I can be but I have been reading your discussions on the video camera and I feel that I have overcome a lot of the problems that ya'll are having.  One thing though I solder to extremely small connectors in the camera(which is not as bad) and the video camera which is extremely small.  I have to use 30 gauge wire wrap wire and a 35 watt soldering iron to just touch the connection and allow it to stick.  This is tedious and requires some patients.

Let me know how I can help.  If I get a chance I can take pictures of the wiring i have done inside the Sony TRV-818 to show you how it looks apart.  That might give ya'll some comfort in taking it apart.

The Canon Elph S100 is easy to take apart.  The outer shell is just screwed on to the entire camera.  Once you take this shell off the buttons are exposed and you can use 22 gauge wire to solder to the surface mount connectors.  The on/off switch has a tab that can be bent out of the way with a small flathead screwdriver and then the button is just glued into position.  Use the screw driver to remove the button and then the wires can go out of the camera through the top where the on/off button was.

I have noticed where people post pictures of their stuff with the explanation of how to do it on your sight.  I am not sure how to do this so I will need some help in posting the pictures.  What kinda of resolution does the picture have to be in order to be posted.

Brian

(Edited by Brian at 9:27 am on Aug. 9, 2001)

Jimbo427

Reaction score
I have been a working photographer for the past 12 years. . I use several different systems:

Canon EOS 1 and 1N's
Hasselblad 501 CM
Mamiya RZ67

They all are great systems and I use them for different things.

For work I shoot for bodybuilding and womens fitness magazines and used to work in the music industry. For fun, I like shooting landscapes and am starting to photograph wildlife.

I've stayed away from a pro digital camera so far since the quality as compared to film is just not there yet. Also, digital requires alot of time with Photoshop working on the file before sending them to the editor.

Jim

outlaw23

Reaction score
I have a Pentax K-1000, the older made in Japan model not the later plasticy model, a Minolta SRT-101 a $25 yard sale find plus a 1992 model Magnavox CVN-610 VHS-C camcorder. Each one does the job I want it to. I've been debating digital but Im leaning toward scanning the 35mm. Better image quality from what I've heard.

gtk

Reaction score
I just bought a Sony DSC-P50 CyberShot Digital Camera.  

2.1 MegaPixel, 6x Digital Zoom.

Very pleased with quality of pics, but VERY dissatisfied with battery life.  2 AA's last about 10 minutes.  A lithium battery costs about 60 bucks, and I can't find a charger anywhere.  The chargers are listed for about 150 bucks.!!

I could have bought a heck of a lot of camera for all that.

Top Bottom