What kind of camo are you using?

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
I guess my previous post didn't get much attention, so I'll try another one.

What are you using for a camo pattern this coming season and why? Any favorites? Anything you do not like?

arlow

Banned
Reaction score
Hi kingman,

I use several for a couple of different covers. My favorite for late fall with most of the leaves down is Mossy Oak Break Up. A close second is any of the realtrees including the advantage especially up in a tree. In the pines I like to use the older treebark green.

Rob

Kingman Cruncher

Reaction score
Nice. A response. I didn't know if you guys were shut down till the fall!!! It's been quiet.

I have been using the Mossy Oak Break up for a few years, but notice on my buddies that after a certain distance, like 100 yards that it blobs up and it looks very dark. I think that there are too many shadows built into it that are unnecessary because shadows occur naturally. Don't get me wrong, I have killed many deer with it as well as you guys, but I'm starting to look for a new pattern.

I don't hunt too much in the hardwoods anymore, because I usually don't sit down for too long and like to roam. I will be getting my new Hardwoods Green Jacket and see if it's the right balance for the spruce/cedar and hard woods that I hunt. I'm trying to find that balance, but if I can't I'll go back to the mossy oak or the hardwoods regular HD.

Any others out there that want to post camo patterns they like or dislike?

Smokem

Reaction score
I like Advantage Timber to me it mixes well with the north woods.

MaineBuck

Reaction score
I use realtree hardwoods green in September. Switch over to hardwoods HD and mossy oak breakup in october through december.

Lokewolf

Reaction score
I wear Break-Up almost exclusively. Its a good all around camo with good contrast so you don't blob at a distance.

LOW 8

Reaction score
Catching up to this post late - but advantage Timber seems to work well in the areas I hunt in Maine. There are enough small Oaks left that it seems to fit in. Best test I know of is to hang your Jacket on a limb and walk out about 30-35 yards and see if you can find it!

When I hunted Anticosti, it wasn't a good fit, too many Pines there compared to the Advantage Timber pattern.

gonehunting

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I will be the odd ball on this one. When It comes to camoflauge, the most important thing to do is break up your human outline. That is what animals recognize, and that is what alarms them. Chuck Adams ( the first bowhunter to get the North American Grand Slam with a bow) used to hunt in blue jeans and a flannel top. He said that as long as you didn't specifically look like a human, that the animals would pass you off as a stump or a log. And I did say used to because now I see him all the time in camo, but then again I would to with money he is getting to endorse them. No matter what camo you wear, if you move, they will spot you. And movement is almost always the visual tip off that spooks the game. Dont get me wrong, I always wear camo when hunting, Alot of the times I will wear a totally different pattern for a top then the bottom to break me up even more. but I don't believe the actual pattern is as important as the manufacturers say.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom