What kind of compass do you use?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Let's see what kind of compass everyone uses. I used the military issue lensatic compass for years while working for Uncle Sam's Flying Circus and switched to a Silva Ranger a few years back. I also usally have one of them little Brunton pin-on compass balls pinned underneath my shirt pocket for quick peeks. I like the Ranger for it's slick design and map scales along the edges. The luminous points help in the dark too. I bought a watchband Brunton compass a few years ago but I have never worn it much since I usually have my watch on the one arm.

I see they are coming out with compasses to be used with GPS units. Brunton has an electronic compass on their new Multi-Navigation GPS. With it's 2º accuracy and 1º resolution I wonder how useful it is. The Silva Ranger compass has a 1º accuracy.

I first learned map and compass while in the boy scouts. The military taught me tons more about mapping and navigating.

What kind of compass do you use and what do you like/dislike about it. Also, where did you learn navigating with a compass and map?

Marty

Reaction score
I picked up a Swiss Army DS-40 when our first son started in Cub Scouts.  Never really needed to use it.  I can usually navigate by terrain.  All that really says is that I need to walk further off the beaten path. Or start hunting up north away from civilization where degredation really matters. :eek:)

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Come to think of it, I hardly ever use a compass.  But, I remember using one back in Michigan, because of the flat wooded land.  Now-a-days I always carry at least one compass.  I have a Paramedic Tool Case that hangs low from the belt, and my Garmin 12XL fits snug in the main pocket with a strap over the top of it.  On each side of the main pocket there are long narrow pockets for an ink pen.  I have a pen in one side, and a metal metric 6" Scale in the other.  Behind the main pocket are two wide slots for maps & compass.  I carry a cheap Pathfinder Compass with a rotating dial.  Once I get the bearing from my GPS I turn the dial until the pointer is on the bearing.  Then I line up the red arrow with the red end of the compass needle, and walk the bearing.  This method is a variation of the land navigation that I learned in the Army.  I don't have to worry about mine fields any more, so I don't sight in the compass.  Also, now-a-days with the free computerized terrain visualizations, well, I guess we still had better carry a compass.

Richard

Gun Docc

Reaction score
hey fellers,

i mostly use one of the newer compasses by Brunton that is made to be used with a gps units now but still use several different ones too.

the Brunton Eclipse model #8096 is very user friendly with it's different map scales that can be used with topo maps to pick up your UTM locations easily. they are called UTM roamer scales that match whatever scale of map that you are using. it has too many details to mention here....lol

another compass i have is one of the electronic ones by Brunton, the Outback model
i use it a lot during turkey season to save bearings of different gobbling turkeys from my location from which i then put onto a map(from a GPS reading) then plot the bearings to find out just exactly where the bird is. this system of taking turkey bearings has  been the death of many a wary ole tommy three toes....hehehehe
i never go into the woods turkey hunting without the trusty ole compass.

i mostly learned to use the compass while in the woods in a hunting situation. it has helped out more than a time or two, especially while in the dark coon hunting in a deep southern swamp trying to find your way back out...lol

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom