What kind of game trail camera do you have?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I got my start in game trail cameras when my Dad bought a Camtrakker back in 1994. After that I built some home made ones with a car door lock solenoid to push the camera button. We still have that old Camtrakker and Dad even has a new 2000 model, even after I showed him the new improved homebrew cameras I use now.

The new Camtrakker has good battery life and the Yashica camera takes excellent pics. The price is a bit high for us working stiffs, $445.00 delivered. The camo is good and the top access lid makes it easy to get inside.

The two big problems I found while helping my Dad set it up for tjhe first time was the on/off switch is a small pushbutton that is hard to tell if you pushed it, you don't feel a click or anything. The other pain was getting the camera out of the tight fitting foam, the camera cord is the only way to pull it out which is not good for  the cord.

The other problem I had with Camtrakker was their repair service. The older Camtrakker started acting up and after sending it back for repairs it took 3 and 1/2 months to get it back. I've worked in the service industry for many years and taking over 3 months to fix something is totally unacceptable, unless it's for a part on order, which was not the case in this repair.

Here's a pic of the older Camtrakker for you nostalgia buffs.

Taking a quick count, I'd say I have made about 8 of the homebrew cameras this past year using the Radio Shack 49-425 and Regent MS20 PIR sensors and Owl cameras. Most of them are out in thefield here in souhtern California but I do keep 2 or 3 at home for trips and testing.

How about everyone else, what kind of game trail camera do you own and what are your likes and dislikes of the camera. Also, what state, province or country are you from?

gizz

Reaction score
Here is my complete collection made in order from top left to bottom right. 4 of these are for brothers, brother in law, the other 5 are mine

wvhunter

Reaction score
Here is my one and only trail cam (so far )  It was made with a RS 425 pir and PF camera, with no timer.

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Gizz,

I'm using the same PVC junction box that you have made your cameras from.  My first camera I made it with the sensor attatched to the removable face.  I'm finding that I don't like this because of the wires attatched to the face then also.  I think my next one I'm going to make with the camera and sensor looking out of the back of the box.  Have you tried this, thought about it??  An thoughts on it?  

I notice you don't drill a hole for the daylight sensor.  I'm guessing the flash always goes off?

Last,  are you taking the fresnal lens off the RS housing and attatching it to the case?  How are you doing this?  

Are those one inch diameter holes??

Thanks from down in H-burg.

ToddP

(Edited by ToddP at 10:44 am on Mar. 20, 2001)

gizz

Reaction score
Todd - I did think about it AFTER making all the holes in the "lids". It sure would make it easier to access the back of the camera when changing film. The way I'm doing it now I remove the lense from the MS20 housing and heat in warm/hot water and work it so it is flat. I then silicone to the inside of the lid against a 1 1/4" hole using enough(not alot) silicone to form a very small bead for a seal between the hole and the lense.  I then hot glue the remaining MS20 sensor directly centered over the lense/hole.
Since my cameras are used mostly in the woods I like the flash going off all the time. Although I haven't tested this, I believe this will help reduce dark pictures.
I'm using the MS20 sensor on all my cams. I'm not sure how the RS unit is set up so it may be different.
I'm sure there are better ways to do all this but I've found this setup to work really good for me. There is always room for improvement - just not for this "batch".
With this setup I'm not sure the camera and sensor would fit in the back of the box since the box is slightly tapered and I have NO room left mounting all this to the lid. I'll try and get a pic of the inside and post it here.
Almost Forgot... GO PENN STATE!
gizz

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Nice cam wvhunter. I have a old first aid kit box just like that but I can't find it anymore to use. I like them because they have a hinge for opening, waterproof seal and nice handle to lug it around.

gizz, I think your cams are mating while your not home.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
 I have owned a Camtrakker for almost a year now and have had great success with it. Below is my favorite and best pic so far. Sorry so big....but look good to the far right to see who is bringing up the rear.

I have built one homebrew cam with the help of Jesse and other "cammies". I call it my CGCritter Cam and have had great success with it also.

I checked it 2 weeks ago and got my best roll yet.
All 25 pics were taken up in 4 days. I had several Hen Turkeys, a Jake,several Whitetail Does, a big Whitetail Buck w/o headgear, a very big Wild Hog, and a big ole Gobbler. All in the same place on the same roll of film! The only bait was a simple
rye, wheat, clover & oats food plot. Below is a pic of the Gobbler.

Welby

Reaction score
cedar N sandy, those are great photos!  Man, three goooddddd bucks!!  And, I'd take that gobbler any day.

I saw your camera first on the picture contest and wanted to also comment on it.  First, it is a great looking unit.  That camo is First Rate!  The housing I really like.  I also wanted to point out that your housing looks to be nearly identical to the fiberglass housing I built and described on the TNDeer forum.  I mean, it looks just like it, save for the camo!

I ended up destroying that housing by modifying it, and remodifying it, and finally just deciding to build another, which I haven't done yet.

I'll post a picture of my first unit as soon as I get one developed.  It's ugggly!  But it works fine....

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
ceder-n-sandy,

Man I love that pic, first time I saw it a year ago when you posted it on HIS I about fell out of the chair.

I hope you don't mind, I took your pic and applied some magic from my Adobe Photoshop to bring out that buck on the right better. If you like it keep the pic if you want.

cedar N sandy

Reaction score
spectr17,
 Looks good man. This brings to mind an idea I had about setting up your camera. Many of us cammies have more than one cam in the field. Always keep one set up in a place that will take a beautiful picture. In other words do not be concerned with finding critter sign. Just set it up in a place that looks good and the game will come. Animals roam all over the place so sooner than later you will have a great picture of a critter in a beautiful place.

Welby,
 Thanks for the comments. You have made several contributions to making my critter cam dreams come true. Keep up the good work. I have been on the sidelines at TNDeer for quite a while. I am glad Jesse decided to venture out further.... man, he is on to something big here I think.    

Welby

Reaction score
Here's Welbycam 1.  I built this first unit to be first and foremost very theft proof.  It is also serving as a handy test mule for my timers and other ideas.

It's not very pretty, hence the reason why it didn't make an appearance in the contest.  But, by golly, it works good!

BlackWater

Reaction score
Welby, nice to see that I'm not the only one using a roof/protector over cam and sensor.  Rain flares and frost usually do not bother any of my cams.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom