What kind of saltwater fishing do you like?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
I live in SoCal so the local marinas like Marina Del Ray and Dana Point are where I usually go out on 1/2  or 3/4 day boats. Sand bass, barracuda and halibut are most of what I catch on these trips. I still haven't taken a long range trip to Mexico yet for tuna.

I'm also SCUBA qualified and and get out once in a great while to spearfish. When the abalone was in much better condition we would get a bag full and fry abolone burgers that afternoon. Fave dive spots are off San Clemete, the kelp off Port Hueneme and Catalina.

This pic is from my first kelp dive off Port Hueneme while in the military (USAF) to about 80 feet with spearguns. We cut open sea urchins for bait along the reef and layed back to spear sheephead fish . The first one I shot was huge and drug me around forever, I thought I was a goner.  My dive partner just laughed.

How about everybody else, what kind of gear do you have and where do you enjoy saltwater fishing?

Fubar

Reaction score
I like to fish for everything in Salt Water. My favorites are Albacore, Yellowtail, and Bass. I usually go on Sportfishing boats and with friends on private boats. I like the boats at LA Harbor Sportfishing. I can recommend their boats. Where do you other fisherman go? Can anybody else recommend any boats?   Dave

MQ

Reaction score
While waiting for hunting season to start, I love going for salmon, stripers, halibut, lings and especially ALBACORE. I fish mostly off party boats anywhere from Monterey to Bodega Bay, depending on where the bite is

Megadeth

Reaction score
My real fishing passion is halibut in Tomales Bay. Hopefully catch a few and dig for clams afterward, of course if its possible. We use a jig/herring type of rig. The drifts are very relaxing, we both love it. Last year my wife was reeling in a halibut and when I lookede over the side the fish was being followed by 4 more keepers. They hung out and watched their buddy get whooped before they dove. Needless to say, It's a tradition.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Sometimes if you're quick enough with the followers, drop over a swimbait and you can nab one of the buddies following up the hooked fish

Swampy

Reaction score
  I also love to fish for halibut in Tomales Bay. We do the ab, crab, clam, butt fishing every year, it's a blast. I also like to fish San Francisco for Halibut. (Love Seal Rock when the tides right.) Little bit of sturgeon, and stripers. Mostly fish salt water out of those two bays. Hey Megadeath, I liked the story about your wife and the "Witnesses". I will start looking closer for the trailers.

Fubar

Reaction score
What is your favorite Saltwater fish to catch? What saltwater fish is your favorite to eat?          Fubar

d trees

Reaction score
Well for me its Gotta be WSB I have been chasing them locally and the Islands since the early 80's .

when I was 13 I went down to sd and got on the queen to the coronados and that day this guy fishing in the bow gets bit on a 12 ft surf rod in the middle of the kelp and gets a 60 plus pounder and after that I was hooked still trying for one that big , it was just like yesterday looking at that monster,d

waldo2382

Reaction score
Hmmmm, I like fishing for just about anything depending on the mood I'm in and what's available. If everything was biting and I could choose, it would be a toss up with wahoo, dorado, or yellow tail. Luckily I'm not picky and fish for anything that swims. As for favorite eating, nothing beats grilled sculpin or BBQ'd white sea bass.

rusman66

Reaction score
I enjoy fishing for anything. My favorite trip was on the Producer out of SD. We really hammered the yellowtail.
I think my favorite fishing has been with my brother in law on his boat fishing for calicos and sandies out of Dana point and surrounding areas.
My favorite fish to eat is halibut.
I just purchased a 20ft  ski and fish boat. I know its not the perfect ocean boat but I think I am gonna give it a try this summer.

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
I like backing my boat down into the boiler rocks and sheer cliffs at the channel islands and throwing swimbaits for those Calico's. Second is shallow water jig fishing for Reds and lings at San Miguel.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Hey Jesse,

Drop me a note about spearfishing!  I haven't been since I moved west, but it was one of my favorite things to do back in the warm waters.

rlwright

Reaction score
I like surf fishing at Sunset or the jettty near seal beach. I also like barracuda fishing on the 1/2 day boats

Thonzberry

Reaction score
I have to say fishing all types of fish works for me, but WSB and Threasher sharks are top of the list for me. I also am a Divemaster, and love to dive and spear fish.

foulshot

Reaction score
I would agree all fish in the ocean are fun, but my favorite would have to be Yellowtail.  I've caught yellows, albies, blue fin, yellowfin, barries, bass, rockfish, dodo's, and the throwbacks-skipjack, bonito, and makeral.  I was fortunate enough to be on an overnight that got into the bigeye, but all I had was thirty lb test, snap goes the line.  It was amazing to see a 90lb big eye hit the deck.
My best day out on the water was a 6 hour trip to the 302spot.  30 yellowfin, 2 dodos and a couple bonito.  All in a 17 ft. proline.  I have the pics to prove it if I could just figure out how to link the pics to the thread.  I'll keep working on that!

THBailey

Reaction score
Salmon out of Santa Cruz or Bodega and albacore in the year.

Socal hunter

Reaction score
I float tube all the local socal bays for bass and halibut.  Thinking of getting a kayak to go out beyond the bay.  The biggist halibut has been 29 inches last year out of newport

One Track

Reaction score
Albacore!  And then, we hope for Bluefin, Yellowfin, and Dorado to show up in the mix. Need that water to warm up this summer. I fish out of the San Diego landings  (love the Tracer,) a few trips on friends' boats, and I also make a few East Cape trips each year (the best.)

OC hunter

Reaction score
Hey Foulshot!  I agree 100%
Pound for Pound, Yellowtail is one of the best fish to catch.  There is nothing like fighting a "Homeguard" Yellowtail that takes you around the boat three times!  Little "firecraker" Yellows don't count.  All tuna species don't compare to your local Yellowtail.  
My favorite boat is the Prowler out of SD.  Buzz can really find the fish!

One Track

Reaction score
OC:

Yep, I forgot the yellowtail.  That's one of my faves too.  I got a 32lb. homeboy off L.J. that rocked my world.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom