what kind of shells 2 buy 4 duckhunt

paulc

Reaction score
sportsmans guide has a special for shells... 3.5"  12 gauge shells for 11.97 and 10.97..a box.. what should i buy... bb, 2 shot, t, and they have 20 gauge  2 shot..(just bought my kids a winchester ranger compact in a 20 gauge.
which shells should i buy and is it as good a deal as i think it is..

Wildbio

Reaction score
If all your planning on hunting is ducks, then I would buy 3 shot.  The faster the speed the better.  My favorite shell is 2 3/4  1oz 3.  That is a spanking load that kicks it out there at about 1500fps and with steel speed kills.  It sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Arkhunter

Reaction score
I like to use BB's or #2's personally.

It sounds like a good deal to me, especailly since they are 3.5's.

But if your shooting em through a pump gun I pity your shoulder!  :)

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Paulc,

I personally use 4 shot for ducks and BB or T shot for geese.

If you are "pass shooting", perhaps the BB shot would be a better choice. Knowing the kind of hunter you are, i'm sure you will be calling them into the blind and therefore the 4 shot is best.

Just my opinion.

Steve.

mrdux

Reaction score
It might not be a good deal if your gun doesn't pattern the shells well. A lot of the cheaper shells don't cycle thru some autoloaders very well.A few things to consider. I use 3 inch and 3 1/2 inch BB and 1s but we hunt over fields and big water.

paulc

Reaction score
these are remington shells, so i assume they are decent.. maybe i will by a few different sizes.. does anyone put like a 4 shot and then follow it up with a 2 or a bb?

steve, hows it going.. i may have fell into a buffalo hunt next weekend.. i am beyond stoked.. you and rick been out shooting lately?

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Federal make a 4 on 2 load but they are expensive. You pay for ten what you would pay for 25.

For me I think taking shots that I am confident in is more important than the type of load I'm using. Many times I've been asked in the blind, "Why didn't you take that one?" Usually it's because I don't feel good with my ability to take the shot and take the bird. I may not go home with a full strap, but I go home knowing I didn't cripple/lose a bunch of birds that day.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents' worth, since I'm avoiding work again already this morning...

I've been really happy shooting steel 2s.  That gives a lot of versatility on all kinds of ducks and situations.  I prefer to shoot decoying birds, but sometimes all you get is pass shots.  I tried 4s, but had a lot of hit birds keep stroking.  1s don't pattern worth a flip in my gun.  BBs are cool, and it's nice not to have to switch when the geese are coming, but boy they totally demolish close range birds like teal.  

Anyway, for the price you're talking about, you can't go wrong either way.  

Good luck and good shooting!

Arkhunter

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>
I tried 4s, but had a lot of hit birds keep stroking.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

I have that happen sometimes even with #2's and I usually hunt green timber and shoot decoying birds.

Back in the old days when lead was legal, the 4's were considered big and most people used 6's. But since steel came along, the 4's are just too small a pellet for me.

A matter of preference I guess.

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
Paulc,

I e-mailed you with our next hunting / fishing trip. I hope you can make it. I wouldn't miss the Buff hunt for it (you lucky dog!) but we seem to have the best time up there. Rick told me to say hello.  He is having a heck of a time trying to join this page (his computer doesn't have an "any" key).

I have to agree with mrdux. Some shots will pattern better than others. At that price, I would take my chances. Iv'e been using Bismuth lately and I usually use 3' 4shot for ducks and 3 1/2 BB for geese. Iv'e wasted too many ducks w/ BB and 2's.

Steve

Top Bottom