What kind of solder & wire???

slickhead

Reaction score
What type of solder is best to use? I'm using a rosin base solder with 24ga. solid copper wire. No matter what I've tried, my solder will not stick. I'm refering to my Canon Owl PF shutter and common leeds. I've had no trouble with soldering the MS20. Yes, I've scratched off the green off the traces and tried wicking and tining the wire just won't stick to the shutter board.  Please help... any suggestions?

troll

Reaction score
I had the same problem and finally said screw it.  I soldered it directly to the pins.  It was very delicate work, but it worked like a charm.  Hopefully someone will have suggestions for wiring to the board.

horndog

Reaction score
Just a bit of advice on the wire. If you can, save yourself some headaches and use stranded wire. I used solid wire to begin with and ended up re-wiring my cam with stranded because the solid wire kept breaking on me with me moving the cam and putting film in it. Had to re-do it 3 times and i finally got smart.

Possum

Reaction score
I use phone cord wire.  I go to the dollar store and buy a 50ft cord of the straight phone cord.  Then I peel back the vinyl covering and use the 4 colored wires inside.  They are stranded and work pretty good.  I solder to the pins on the PF not the trace circuit.  I could not get it to stick either.  TIP  Tin the tip of the wire and then cut it off to about 1/64 of an inch.  Just a little wire showing. Then when it solders to the pins there is no chance it will shift and touch the other pins.  Go get a needle tip for your iron.  RS has them for the 25W irons.  About $2.50?  Good luck!

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
The company I work for threw away a ten foot printer cable because one of the ends was damaged. Naturally I had to cut it open to see what kind of wire was inside, I dont know what guage it is but it is very small stranded wire. This is the best I've used, and I've tried alot. About 16 strands at 10ft each, ought to wire a few cams.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 The wire I got at RS but I cannot remember the size,it is the smallest stranded wire i could find and is very easy to work with.I got 3 rolls in the pkg colored Red,Green and black.
 Also got the solder at RS it is .032 dia. light duty,Rosin core,part #64-005b  I have not had any trouble with it sticking at all.

troll

Reaction score
Passthru, I used the same exact wire and solder and mine didn't stick.  Was there anything you did to prepare the board?

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 No not really,i put a spot of solder on my iron,tin the wire,then just touch the wire to the board with the iron,remove the iron and let the solder cool a second then its done.
 I do notice that the solder will not spread to the board of the camera but just balls up(beads),but it is stuck there,be carefull about pulling on it though,i did break the trace and had to repair it.

coyote

Reaction score
I have had no problems making it stick....lots of screwed up on my part.but not the solder.
Make sure you "tin" the wire till it flows into the strands then trim it back with side cutters.  A hot iron is criticle too.  The whole procedure should take less than 2 seconds.  Cold irons send heat to far back on the traces.  Heat effect zone to large...lots of great info on Jessi's how to pages and this forum...good luck...yoteee'

troll

Reaction score
Yotee,

Actually, I did all of that.  I used a 15w iron as was suggested as well so as not to burn the traces up.  Maybe the iron wasn't enough.  Either way, I got it to work by going directly for the pins.  A little nerve racking, but I did it.

slickhead

Reaction score
Thanks to all! My wife tells me I'm hardheaded...so I'll keep trying. I started with stranded phone wire...I'll go back to that. And try going straight off the pins.

Top Bottom