What makes a good picture?

clutchkiller

Reaction score
In your opinion, what makes a picture good? The reason I ask is because I've been hanging out on a few photography boards and some of the 'horrible' pictures I see there get great reviews... it makes me wonder if people are just being kind to the poster, or if there is a 'click' of members (a group of friends).

I have to say that since I've been hanging out on those sites, I'm starting to look at pictures in a different way. A good picture to me was one that is clear, and had a good subject matter, now I pay attention to lighting, subject matter, if a picture is too sharp or blurry, the colors in the pic.... and ext.

So, what makes a picture good? Please give me your personal opinion and not a standard text book formula for a good picture.

foulshot

Reaction score
Paul, I think a lot of it is in the eye of beholder. I get the feeling, like you do, that on the photo forums people are just being nice. Trying to give encourage ment, so on. I'm on seveal photo forums and just shake my head sometimes when someone says "Great Shot" when the pic is clearly out of focus. Myself, I'd rather hear someone say, the composition is good but your shot is not in focus.

I think my eye falls along the same lines yours does. I want to see a crisp shot, composed and lit properly. Not to many distractions. There are shots I've seen that are not along my taste lines, but that are done very well. I don't like the whole "goth" type but I know when the photographer is good and when it's someone just snapping shots. The same goes for every catagory of photography. These days with the digital revolution, it seems that everyone is getting a DSLR. If you have a good eye the equipment is just a tool and the brand won't matter.

I'll often put "comments and critiques welcome" in my photo posts. I'd rather hear that I should crop a little off here or there, the shots looks to dark or that highlight is blownout than "great shot". I'm getting to be my worst critic lately. I"ll go out and shoot, comeback and look at the shots and only use 1 or 2 pics. To me it's a means to an end. I want to take the best picture possible. Something that makes people think, makes them smile,laugh,cry or speechless. So far I've yet to be able to do this IMO. Someday though.

Just curious, what forums? I'm always on the lookout for new forums.

Some of the ones I've found to be more of a higher standard

Fred Miranda
Naturescapes
Nature Photographers
The Luminous Landscape

clutchkiller

Reaction score

Hideandwatch

Reaction score
I enjoy seing a photo that pretty much takes me to the place where the shot was taken. If I get that feeling from the shot I perceive it as a great shot. Of course, color, crispness, focus, dof all will play in taking me there. Sometimes a shot I have taken may not look all that great when first downloaded, but doing a bit of adjustments (mainly in "Levels" in the PP..it can make a world of difference and possibly save a shot that I thought was blown. I tend to steer away from cropping (over cropping) much any more, I like getting as close as possible and "filling the frame" with the subject as much as possible anymore. I have only been into this since last christmas, and I have grown a bit in my techniques but have a long ways to go. Maybe someday I will outgrow my Z740 digital and move up to a dslr, but not quite yet. So, its focus, filling the frame, dof and the composition, text book? Possibly, yet there is a lot to play with there in having an end result of a photograph rather than a snapshot. I too agree with the forums and the comments that seem to be just being nice, when the shot is actually a disgrace.

Lan-Lord

Reaction score
Well, the basics of sharp capture and accurate exposure are the prerequisites for a good photo. Next on the list would be good light. (not harsh highlights and deep shadows).
Once those basics are in the equation, then I think a few guidelines are to get close-in, balance the scene with various components, and just capture something that is interesting and gives the viewer something to chew on in the photo.

Top Bottom