what rod should i get, if any?

dazco

Reaction score
Heres the deal..........i really enjoyed fishing for bass today with plastic texas rigged worms. I want to get a rod thats right for this purpose. BUT, only if i need one.
At the moment i have a Diawa graphite "Triforce-Z". I believe it's a 5 footer, assuming the length is measured from tip to where the rod meets the handle. It's about 3 or 4 years old, so i don't know if they still make them.

I'm only going to be fishing from shore in lakes and reservours in So. Cal. My one and only concern is plastic worms.

So what i'd like to know is if my rod is good enough or not. Will i get much better sensitivity with a new rod, and if so, what is good? I wouldn't want to spend more than about $50, but i could be persueded possibly.  

So consider my Diawa and tell me if you think spending money on a new rod is going to make a considerable difference for a beginner like me, and if so what would you recommend? I really don't want to spend any money if i don't need to, so i won't be disappointed to hear the Diawa is fine. But i'm willing to spend $50 or so if you think it'll be a worthwhile improvment 4 me.

Thanks,-Dale

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Dazco,
I think poles are measured from end to end. It sounds like you have a 5 1/2 pole. The pole should be fine. You didn't mention the weight of your pole. ( ultra light, light etc...)
light/medium would be perfect. One thing I will say is make sure you have a good reel, and good line. Most people will say you need a baitcasting rod and reel. While there is nothing wrong with baitcasters, I personally don't think there is much difference between the two. Personal prefence I guess. Well I hope this helps, and good luck.

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
Actually, i read the print on it and it's a 6'/light rod.

EVAN III

Reaction score

Your rod should be fine. 6ft light will do very well. What kind of reel do you have? And what knid of line do you use?

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
It's a Daiwa Emblem S reel, and i use stren easycast for it's low memory qualities.....Dale

EVAN III

Reaction score
  Sounds like your combo will work just fine. If you get a chance you should come out to the silverwood campout. I'm sure you will see all different types of lures/rods/and reels, not to mention you can pick everyones brains as to what to use and how to use it.
Well hope you can make it.

EVAN III

dazco

Reaction score
Thanks........as to the campout, possibly.....Dale

rusman66

Reaction score
Hey Dazco aren't you the guy that was live bait only!!  LOL
You better be careful the next thing you know youll be throwing crankbaits.

dazco

Reaction score
Yea, that WAS me. See, i just got back into fishing after a year off, and i had been out a couple times and caught nothing, as was so often the case before. So i wanted to find new ways that might be more productive, and thats why i asked

Then i decided to try plastics one day WHILE i was fishing with crawlers with my main pole. After catching nothing with the live bait, and catching a bass with plastic in waters where till now i could only catch trout got me real excited about using plastic. I'd used it in the past VERY unsuccesfully cuz i never knew the right way to retrieve, and with some help i learned that day and it worked.

To sum it up in one sentance, i was not "live bait only" because i didn't want to use lures, but because my attempts in the past had always been totaly unproductive. Otherwise i'd have been using them all along. And at $2 plus a pop, who the hell would want to waste thier money on crawlers when a 20 cent plastic will last all day?

-Dale......   the "plastics only guy"........:smile-big-blue:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom