What sensor is better

Kodiak1976

Reaction score
which sensor is better or are they about the same,,,,i bought the MS20 sensor from wal-mart and i am using it for my first cam, which one would be the better of the two to use on a first cam the MS20 or the one from radio shack. will the MS20 give me false pictures or will they both do that is there any way i can modify the MS20 sensor so the sensor is not so senistive, also will the battery pack from a radio shack race car work to power the MS20 or will it burn out the relay the voltage of the battery pack is a 9.6 volt 100mAh also can i hook up the race car battery and 3 9 volt batterys with out burning the relay

robNhood

Reaction score
I use a 12 volt gell cell battery with my MS20. I replaced the 120 volt ac relay with a 9 volt dc relay. The relay can handle the battery without a problem.

If it it were the other way around, using a 9 volt battery to power a 12 volt relay, you would have a problem.

I'm not telling you what to do, but I would invest in a better battery. You put a 12 volt gell cell in that camera box and you don't have to worry about it losing power. They last a long time.

As far a makng the MS20 not as sensitive, the only thing you can do is place a strip of tape on either side of the lense to narrow down the field of vision some.

I have never used the RS pir so can't help you with that one.

(Edited by robNhood at 6:56 am on Sep. 1, 2001)

corey

Reaction score
I have one cam wiyh the ms20 and had problems with it being too sensitive. I did as robnhood sugested, I put tape across bottom, top, and both sides of the sensor. It helped alot, but I'm still getting a lot of false trips. I think its due to the heat & the sun reflecting off of the leaves. I just finished two more cams with the 49-425 radio shack sensor. It's battery consumption is alot less but it's detection range is probably half of the ms20's. That did'nt impress me at all. I put it out the other day and there were two trails about 10yds apart. I put the cam right on the first trail and it could'nt pick me up on the other trail. I think your better off with the ms20 and the 12v gel cell. Good luck!!    

migenaus

Reaction score
I have only used the Rs-425 sensor and on one of my "TimberCams" I only get about a 30' range, but on the others  I am getting about a 40'-45' range...The difference is the amount of space that you place the fresnal lense in front of the actual sensor. I have found out that a 1/16 of an inch can make a difference in the range of detection. Also the size of the hole that is used for the sensor makes a difference. My preference at the present time is a 5/8" hole. I personally have not used the MS20 sensor.

Possum

Reaction score
They are both good units depending on what you want to use them for.  The RS PIR will usually not have as many false pics, but it will miss some events during the day.  The MS20  will probably catch all activity but you will get some falsing.  Each are easy to modify.  It comes down to availability and choice.  The RS is definately a battery saver.  However, I have both and like them both.  
A big THANKS to all that paid for and developed the schematics to allow us novices to build these cameras.  I love them.

The racecar battery should work fine, I believe.  i don't think it will burn up the relay.  The 3 9 volt batterries will work also.  See Jesse's page for how to wire batteries in parallel and series.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom