What size Filter?

Rooter

Reaction score
What mm uv filter is everyone using for their cams?  I am going to stay with Lexan for the flash, but want to try a filter for the lense.  My concern is should I worry about a filter that will be wide enough to allow the sensors to peer through? What is the predominant size being used by you guys? The filters are all the same price.

jayber

Reaction score
I use a Dia. 30mm, but I don't expose the light sensor/emitter.  I want to always flash to help with shadow(s) fill-in.  I also use glass for my flash hole.

I did a test on sunday when I was out picking up my cameras.  Snapped a picture of the same backgroung using the same camera.....one box with a filter and the other without.  I did see a slight improvement in picture quality with the UV filter.  Most of the colors are drab brown around here yet from the winter.....maybe I'll see a bigger difference when things green up.

Lew

Reaction score
Rooter, I use a 43mm lens which may be smaller then some use but easily covers my opeing.  The reason for going on the small side, is to give a large gap between the glass on the flash and the lens.  Then, I use black paint in between and along the edge of the glass to prevent flash bleed.  I get good results doing it this way.  Lew

Rooter

Reaction score
Lew doesn't the metal ring that surrounds the filter stop any bleed from going through?  Does your flash glass and filter actually touch?

Lew

Reaction score
Rooter,  I cut the metal rim off and use silicon adhesive to bond the glass directly to the case.   There are other way it could be done to keep the rim on, but  I found it easier to make it water proof by just using the glass.  Lew

jayber

Reaction score
Interesting.....might have to try that one next time.  Thanks Lew!

INshedpicker

Reaction score
I've used 55mm and 49mm so far.  Just pick something that is big enough to get a good clean picture through and not soo big that it restricts the size your flash hole can be.  I don't expose out both autofocus elements, but do use the light sensor.

Top Bottom