What size shot for ducks?.. for Geese?

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Years ago, I used to use lead shot for ducks and I used size #4 and used size #2 for geese. I had to buy a new barrel for my old Rem 1100 that will shoot steel shot. I got some steel shot size #4 but no ducks are down yet. What size steel shot do you like? Also, I have been reading about shotshells with gold shot... No, it is priced like gold, but it is Hevi-Shot and made of Tungsten-Nickel-iron and is more dense than lead. Anyone using this type shot? Did you have to take out a loan to buy a few boxes of shells? If you tried this Hevi-Shot, how did it work? Please let me know what shot sizes you like.. Thanks.

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I shoot BB for both ducks and geese with a modified choke in my Beretta Pintail.  If you hit the bird you hammer it pretty good and have less cripples.  A friend wants me to try some of the Kent Fast Steel as he says it is fantastic.

Brian

songdog

Reaction score
I've been shooting #5 Bismuth at ducks this year and have had good results so far.  It's the least expensive of the non steel variety.  You can get 3" shells from Cabela's for about $13.99/box of 10 if you order 6 boxes.  I bought a little each month during the off season with the intent to shoot it the whole duck season and compare it to last (all steel) and see if the results justify the price.

So far so good...

bloodsports

Reaction score
I second that remark about Kent Fasteel.  I have been using it all season long and it is great.  

Duck Fan

Reaction score
I have always shot a 2 3/4 inch gun (for 35+ years).  When we went to steel, I moved to number 2's for all duck hunting and I always use a modified barrel

For Geese, I move to BB's...that it.

My son has used the hevi shot this year and done very well..but moving to the faster steel (Kent) he has found them to be terrific...and a lot less expensive.  Getting up to 1400 - 1500 fps has made a difference for him.

O

outdoorsman

I've used #2 KENT shells last two seasons . They work very well for all my ducks. Hits hard and burns clean.

Eric Mayer

Reaction score
Hey Al.

Well, because I shot only 4's and 5's in lead, I now shoot 2's and 3's in steel (2 shot size difference when making the switch to steel).  For goose I use triple BB (BBB).  In my gun, improved cylinder works best (SBE).

Shoot 'em close and you shouldn't have a problem.

See ya,

Eric

Fubar

Reaction score
I shoot 2 for ducks BB for geese in steel.            Fubar

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on shot sizes. I had already ordered a couple boxes of Kent's 3" 1-1/4 Faststeel in #4's. I sure hope they are not too small. I will get some #2's on the next order. Checking the catalogs, Natchez has the Faststeel 12 Ga 3" 1390 fps 1-1/4 oz shells for $11/box or $10/box if you get 5 or more boxes.

I think I will also order a couple of boxes of the Kent Impact Tungesten - Matrix in 20 Ga. 3" 1360 fps 1-1/8 oz of 5's so I can take my old 20 Ga Win 101 O/U out for a duck hunt like old times. The Matrix shot won't hurt my old barrels they say. I didn't know there was any legal shot that I could shoot in my old 20 Ga without ruining the barrels. Of course, I can hunt pheasants it the exact same field with lead shot! Was the switch to steel shot political or did lead shot really kill ducks like they said?

d trees

Reaction score
I shoot 2's for ducks and bbb's for geese IC choke , thnx for the tip on fast steel ive been thinking about giving it a try, d

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Al,

I was shooting the fast steel and went over to Bismouth and the Tungsten the last 2 years. When you figure the cost per RECOVERED bird it works out about the same as fast steel. #2s and #3s for ducks and BBBs for geese. I gave up duck hunting the first couple years of the new steel regs, it was just crap and after losing birds on 35 yard shots I hung up the duck gun in disgust.

Hevi-shot is another story. It patterns tight and packs a heavier wallop than even lead believe it or not. Just be sitting down when you see the price per box of 10 shells, about $20.00 last time I checked. The turkey loads in 2 3/4" are all I have patterned and shot but I hear the waterfowl loads are about the same. Awesome stuff if they can just bring down the price a bit to around Tungston levels.

Now about the banning of lead, boy you can start one heck of a verbal joust on that topic. Many people at the SHOT Shot and gun writers claim lead is on th eway out all across the hunting spectrum. Gun ranges and federal hunting areas have been forced to clean it up and many companies are now offering non lead hunting bullets. I've even heard 5 years and there will be no lead available off the store shells.

Lead is bad ju-ju as we all know, but how much lead in the environment is the hotly debated topic.

Bodie

Reaction score
I use Remington Nitro Steels, 3", 1&3/8oz, #2's for duck hunting.  This is the first year I have shot them and so far I have liked them.  I also, use these for pheasant hunting when I am at a place that requires steel for all hunting.  If I am using lead for pheasants, I use #6's

I have a couple of buddies that are using the Kent Fast Steel this year and they really like it.  I am looking forward to trying it out sometime soon.  

Also, I noticed that Cabelas is selling their own brand of steel shot this year.  The specs for FPS seem impressive, but I have not used it or know anyone who has tried it out.  

Drake Slayer

Reaction score
Kent fasteel 3 " # 3's for decoy ducks. BB for geese and pass shooting ducks.

bubba

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I use 2 for ducks and BB for Geese.  Pattern your gun with any new loads.  I was thinking of switching to Kent from Federal.  But Fedearal Patterned better than the Kent Load out of my firearm(modified, SBE).  If you reload, I believe you can save a lot more buying the Hevi-Shot shot.

hntndux

Reaction score
1's work great for both ducks and geese.  I don't know if it's my imagination or what, but I seem to kill geese much more cleanly with the 1's than I do with BBB's...

Megadeth

Reaction score
I must agree with hntndux. That recipe has worked for quite some time now.

Jay

Reaction score
Yerp, 1's with a full pattern crunch 'em but for close in work I've been really happy with Estates high speed 3's (Thanks Mike!) in a modified pattern.

For geese or ducks in a heavy wind it's BB's.

Mike Riley

Banned
Reaction score
As Jay stated 3"#3 Estates for ducks and Kent 3"#1 for geese.  I also shoot tungsten and Hevi-shot #2 at geese for longer pass shots.  Speed is the key.  

Hey Jesse Hevi-shot is cheaper than Tungsten up here. 3" are $15.99 versus 19.99 for tungsten.  Hevi also gives you about 20 yards more range if you can figure out the leads. AND that is a big IF, not worth trying for the 95+% of shooters.    

Top Bottom