what size shot for yotes?

Sky Buster

Reaction score
i was thinking about doing some coyote hunting with my shotgun.  my question is, what size shot should i use?  i dont want to mess it up too much, especially if its a close shot.  thanks for the help.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I always use 3" magnum 00 or 000 buck and a full choke. Out to 40 or 50 yds it kills them as dead as they need to be. Alot of guys go as small as 4buck or BB, but I have not had good luck with it on coyotes.Good luck!    Scott

Sky Buster

Reaction score
i guess that brings up another question, do you need to use a full choke?  and this may sound like a dumb question, but are the 00 and 000 buck only one slug, or are there a couple.  i havent shot anything over 2's, and never shot anything that didnt fly with my shotgun.  so im kinda in the dark on this.  thanks again for all the info.  

with the choke question, i pretty much want to know if im gonna jack up my gun with a mod.  thanks again.

songdog

Reaction score
I started with 00 and 000 buck for a while but switched to BBs and #4 buck after a few problem shots.  I had some shots at about 40 yards where the pellets had plenty of energy but I was only sending 12 of them on their way to the coyote.  I ended up with a few that I hit solid (or so I thought) on the first shot only to see a broken leg or some other superficial wound that required a second shot.

Now that I've gone to copper BBs or #4 buck I get a lot more pellets, still with plenty of energy, in the kill zone.  Maybe a couple more holes to sew up but cleaner kills for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, if all I've got is 000 buck, I'm still taking that coyote but when I go to the store to stock up, I make sure I look for the #4 buck when I have a choice.

I normally use a full choke when I'm in a "shotgun only" area and when I'm trying to stretch the range as far as I can I'll shoot a PatternMaster extra full choke.  

If I'm in an area that I'm shooting a shotgun because of the cover (real thick and low visibility), I go to the other end of the spectrum and shoot an improved or skeet choke.  

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I am not a coyote hunter but I went three consecutive pheasant seasons with killing a coyote with 2 3/4" 6's.  Probably just luck but a dead coyote is a dead coyote.

Brian

yotegetter

Reaction score
I have been using Federal 3" BB copper-plated. They're a little hard to find, but they work great. Gotta make sure they're copper-plated though.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
thanks for all the tips, im going out sometime next week, all your info will help me out alot.  thanks again.

Hook

Reaction score
Are you restriced to 3 rounds only in the shotgun for coyotes? like for upland birds and waterfowl? there is nothing listed under "method of take" in the regs for nongame mammals.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
you know, i never really thought about that....but the real question is, do you think you'll have enough time to even get three shots off?  but im not sure what the regs say....

joatmon

Reaction score
I'm from Mass. and we can't use any buckshot or bb shot it's no.2 and smaller.

Top Bottom