What solenoid to use

Reaction score
I need to use a solenoid but I don't know what kind to use or where to get one.  I tried a car door lock actuator but it would only push down.  I don't see how you could use a door lock acutuator because it takes two separate things to push it down and up.  A door bell solenoid would be perfect, but is it 12 volt or 120?  Any idea on how much it would cost to but a doorbell unit?  
Also, I need to make my PIR run off battery power.  It is a Dakota Driveway Alert system and runs off 120 vac.  I can send pics if needed.
Thanks

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Jake,

Make it easy on yourself, all the info you need is on my webpage here  http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/homebrew-cams.html

We have several cameras already figured out that work along with several sensors. If you're set on using different ones you first need to test them to be sure they'll work. Measure the current draw on the sensor to make sure it's not a battery hog etc.

A solenoid is a bit more work since you have to figure out how to mount it to the camera or make a jig it fits in to push the shutter button.

Reaction score
I realize that but the great thing about my sensor is that it will fire a solenoid simply by plugging up a hot and ground wire.  I just need to know what solenoid to use and where to get one.

BowDoc

Reaction score
I just mounted the camera in the case upside down. Gravity makes the solenoid reload when not activated. I used the cheap 3 or 4 dollar solenoid at jamco but you might want to use one the has 1lb of holding force. I think it is about 7 bucks. I hope this helps.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
jakthesnakeGMC (aka CritterHunter)

I don't know the specs of the driveway alert unit you have and don't have a clue what solenoid it would drive or how to adapt it for battery usage.

The door lock device you have is apparently not a solenoid but a motorized device with a pinion gear to push an actuator up and down.   The combination of turning the camea upside down and the camera push button return spring may be enough to release the actuator from the camera as BowDoc suggests, but I'm not sure.

If you don't have the ability to figure out the PIR system you have, I think you better take spectr17's advice and use what has already been figured out and posted on his web-page

Tinhorn

Fubar

Reaction score
To BE,  or Not to BE?    That is the question.            Fubar

Coal30

Reaction score
Jameco, part # is 149761 is a source for a solenoid and they are $8.95 each.

i have one if someone needs one

Top Bottom