• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

What to do with the antler collection?

husky44

Seems like a strange question to ask here but what the heck..

After 50+ years of hunting I probably have at least 50 sets of antlers hanging up in the garage (no mounts).
I was never a trophy hunter, only meat hunter. I have mainly blacktails 2-5 pointers and a few whitetails from our place in Idaho.
Getting ready to move back to Idaho and don't want take them with me, the horns have no sentimental value and my son doesn't seem interested in them.
Anyway wondering what to do with them. Maybe dump them in the forest? Cut them up and trash them?
When my father passed away on the ranch in Idaho people just grabbed a few of his until they were gone, I don't have that option.
Anyway thanks for looking at my strange thread..

Domenic

Last edited:

dthome

You could offer them up on Craigslist free of charge. It’s legal to use the antlers for a handmade item, and then sell it. I’ll bet you’d be able to unload them for someone else’s good use.

Bankrunner

/\ Seems like a good idea. If you don't like craigslist maybe you could find a craftsman to give them to, maybe look for a knife maker near you?
Anyway, hope you enjoy your time back in Idaho and your able to still enjoy fresh venison. It's to bad CA is losing another hunter, and I hope you can give us a report or two from up there.

TheGDog

I'll take a few off your hands! How much does it cost to get them shipped from you down to OC?

Brnsvllyjohn

Husky I called a local taxidermist today and asked his opinion on getting rid of unwanted antlers. He told me to just drop them off at his house he knows people who would want them for craft projects. Of coarse he reminded me that there can be no money involved. I really don't care. Maybe a taxidermist in your area would be interested in your excess antlers.

I suspect I will be doing that sometime this year because the two people asking about antlers live too far away from Sacramento for me to help you out.

husky44

Thank you for the suggestions, have at least 8-months to find a home for the antlers.
I'll make a few calls to taxidermists in the area.

husky44

Confused as usual. Friend in Idaho wants them now, may drop them off on a visit later this month or?

Now I also got drawn for an X-zone prior to committing to moving out of state, may be tag soup as I don't need anymore horns or meat.

Anyway thank you for the suggestions and have a great summer and fall.

Domenic

Top Bottom