What use's do you have for empty film canisters?

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Anyone have any creative use's for the black/clear film canisters that we accumulate using our trail cams?

I have used them with cotton balls inside as scent dispencers. A friend of mine went so far as to
glue a clothes pin on the side to clip to a branch.

I also use them to store a couple extra black powder (90 gr) charges. Remove cap, pinch opening together and pour down the muzzle.

Let's hear them.

shufigo

Reaction score
perfect to carry the spare screw-in choke tubes for my shotgun. (won't work for the new long tubes).

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I bought some Salt and Pepper caps for $1 at Gander Mountian, works good for hunting, fishing and camping. They seal up nice, and if you use the clear (fuji) cans you can always see how much is left. I also use them for back powder, and sometimes throw a couple spinners in them when I go streamside fishing.

Archilochus

Reaction score
I use the things as suet mix holders in my bird feeders.  You take a nice looking hunk of wood, drill the right size holes in it, and fit the film cans filled with suet mix into the holes.  Makes refilling easy.
The rodents chew the things up faster than I use film - so I'm always looking for more from friends & neighbors.

They also make great 'salvaged' parts & hardware holders.

Archilochus

gtk

Reaction score
Mine just seem to accumulate in the floor of my truck, glove box, console, side pockets.....  Makes driving interesting when one of these things roll's under the heel of your foot and you can't hit the brakes, or you hit the gas too hard  :surprised-purple:

jayber

Reaction score
I use them to hold the dissicant inside my cameras, putting holes in them for air circulation.  Also, they're used, unaltered, to store fresh/recharged dissicant.  Some are made into scent canisters and others are tossed.

gizz

Reaction score
I use them to store measured blackpowder charges for muzzleloader season. Also to hold small electronic parts that I've stripped from different boards as well as small tools(tips, screws, etc).

Swampman

Reaction score
I use them for scent with cotton balls also, but the main thing I use them for is an ashtray. I know your not supposed to smoke on your stand, but there are times when I can't go 4 to 5 hours without one. I put a little water in the canister and flick my ashes and butt in it, seal it up and put it in my pocket.

kmitch

Reaction score
I drill a bunch of holes in them, fill them with mothballs and put them in my toolboxes. Keeps my tools from rusting.

Keith

bat

Reaction score
Arch, check with Walmart the next time you are in there.  They allways have extra cannisters being tossed.  I use mine for screws from the camera when taking them apart, scent applications during hunting, tried 1/2 of one for a shield over the lens on one camera, pills, etc.  bat

passgas55

Reaction score
Drill a hole in the back of canister,trim it a little longer than your toggle on your toggle switch, use a nut driver to screw the nut on your switch threw the canister and replace your cap and you have a weather proof switch cover. Also use a little silicon when placing the canister and the switch.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom