What your preferred time delays?

Matt in MO

Reaction score
Good morning all. What time delay between photographs do you use (or would like) for various field settings? ie: deer trail, food plot, feeder. The no timer setup with the PF and RS PIR is a little too short (get 4-5 photos of the same deer). Is 15 seconds about right for a deer trail?  I don't want to miss the big buck trailing a doe. One or two minutes on a food plot?

oops, sorry about that poor english in the title - can't edit it.

(Edited by Matt in MO at 8:36 am on Sep. 7, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Old Ponderous was fixed at 30 seconds and most of my new OWL PFs are fixed at 2 mins.  I doubt 1, 2,  or 5 mins would really make much difference.  

Rambling MODE ENGAGED:
I assume your'e using a 2 stage timer:
On some I used a DPDT toggle switch to give me 2 time delays.  I connected the Center (common) terminal to TLC555 pins 6/7 and one "ON" side to the (+) side of a 47uf cap and the other "ON" side to one end of a .1 disk cap.  The other leads of the caps goes to ground.  The timing resistor from pins 6/7 to (+) is 1meg (this is the long delay stage I'm talking about)

When the toggle is one way, I get 1 min and when the other way, I get "NO" delay for when the rut starts......
(note, there is only 1 cap connected to the 555 at a time)

I probably ought to install a Slide Switch or a rotary with more postions and have 0 delay, 30 sec, 1 min 3 min, 10 min's maybe

The reason I switch caps is because the timing resistor affects Current, the lower the resistor value, the more the stage uses, even at idle!

Rambling MODE DIS-ENGAGED:

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 9:49 am on Sep. 7, 2001)

Matt in MO

Reaction score
well... I admit I don't have ANY timer installed now - I do have two 2-stage timers in the Pile-o-electronics. The one we discussed which I never got working consistently and the second which I was starting from scratch on but got delayed on other things around the house. I did come up with a 12 position RS rotary switch, put resistors between each position, and had it mounted thru the box with a nice knob on the outside. Was planning to brag on it here but its tough to brag on a failure.

I may see what JoeD has to offer.

(Edited by Matt in MO at 10:05 am on Sep. 7, 2001)

hamiltoe

Reaction score
I have a 4-SPST DIP switch that connects one of 4 resistors to the capacitor that controls the delay time.  I have delays of 30s, 1min, 3min, and 5min.  I get these time delays by having only one switch on at a time.  One could get other delays by leaving a combination of switches on at a time leaving the resistors in parallel.

jayber

Reaction score
During non-rut times, I use a 2 min. delay for my cams.  During the rut I'll change them to continuous mode.  I also have 10 & 20 min. delays for bait piles.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom