What's a guzzler look like?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
For those who have never seen one or the folks back east who have never heard of a guzzler.

Here is a  concrete guzzler apron in the Kaibab NF  Arizona. The aprons can be 20 feet across to catch the rain that then runs into a catch tank which is usually underground. The water tank is buried to the left of where you see the water where the apron drains to.

There is a float which keeps the level in the drink basin at the right level. The steps are to help the animal crawl out if they go for a baptism.

This is a huge above ground fiberglass rain catch instead of the concrete apron rain catch. The water tank is underneath and the water basin is on the left out of view.

Sky Buster

Reaction score
thanks for the pics jesse, that really helps me out alot.  i always thought a guzzler was just a bucket with a funnel out in the middle of nowhere...

Greenhead

Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen guzzlers as elaborate as those. What I've seen are typically asphalt, laying on a hill. At the bottom of the asphalt, the bury half a barrel as a catch basin. Then, they prop the other half of the barrel over the top, stake it in, and cover it with brush. They also install bars to keep out anything bigger than a rabbit. Pretty simple compared to those in the pictures.

By the way, whenever we were ready to leave after a weekend, we would always go up to the guzzlers and empty our water tanks. Usually only 5-7 gallons, but that's a lot of water in those parts. Thanks for the photos, Jesse.

jackrabbit

Reaction score
We even have guzzlers on BLM land here in the south central valley foothills (D7) for small and big game.  But instead of having aprons, they run collector pipes higher up to the springs just below rimrock level, and pipe it down to the canyon floor, otherwise, it just flows underground to aquifers and eventually to the river way downstream.  The watering holes look pretty much like the first picture up above.

Mojave

Reaction score
Several guzzlers I've seen have the concrete apron (sometimes oiled) draining down a ramp into the underground tank, with no top access, or top exposure of water, except for maintenance. This type provides water for birds and small animals only. The covered top limits evaporation in low-rainfall areas. While you're out hunting, give some credit to Ben Glading and Fred Ross, who invented "Glading's Gallinaceous Guzzler" in 1943.

mjohns2

Reaction score
Don't laugh but I did try to find out what a guzzler was before I posted this but everywhere I looked defined a guzzler as one who drinks greedily or habitually. Can someone help me out? What's a guzzler.

(Edited by mjohns2 at 6:17 am on Dec. 21, 2001)

Mojave

Reaction score
Howdy, mjohns2: A guzzler is a water collection device, with a relatively large surface of concrete, asphalt, fiberglass, plastic or metal, that drains into a tank. The tank provides access to wildlife or livestock, to the collected rainwater for drinking. In many areas, where food and cover may be adequate, water availability may be the limiting factor to wildlife survival and breeding success. In these areas, a guzzler will help to increase wildlife populations. I think its always a good idea to try to carry extra water to dump into dry desert guzzlers, when you find them.

Haary

Reaction score
I have seen two kinds of guzzlers in northern California.  I have seen the kind Jesse showed in the first pictures where the tank is underground.  And also a type where there is flat metal roof about 6" to 12" above the ground covering the holding tank with a watering area similar to the one in Jesse's first picture.

Top Bottom