whats in season right now?

dazco

Reaction score
there didn't seem to be a general forum for this question, so i picked this one because it's so busy.

i just got a hunting licence because even tho the main seasons are over and i'll have to buy one again soon, i was buying a pistol and was told i wouldn't need to take the test ($20) if i had a hunting licence.($30) it's only $10 more, so what the hell.

So my question is, besides crows, are there any other birds or small game i can hunt between now and when it expires in July? (i think it's July, correct?)

Thanks,-Dale

ps--i gotta say it again.....this forum is AWESOME for California hunters !!!! I think i found a home !! *S*

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
The hunting seasons for ducks and upland game birds are currently closed.

Dove opens Sept 1
Duck around October 10th
Quail around end of October
Pheasants around Novemeber 10

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Dazco,

The only things open right now are varmints (coyotes, ground squirrels, etc.) and wild pigs.  Turkey is coming in season next month, but I don't think you want to be hunting them with a pistol.

dazco

Reaction score
I'm sorry if i gave you the wrong impression...........no, i don't hunt with a pistol. I use a shotgun. I only mentioned the pistol in the context of why i got a hunting licence so late in the season. To those who don't live in Ca,. there is a law that says you have to take a test in order to buy a pistol now. But if you have a hunting licence you don't need to take the test. I had no licence when i went to buy a pistol, so instead of paying $20 and taking the test, i opted to buy a licence for $30 and not have to take the test, plus be able to hunt if theres any seasons open now, which was the initial question. And thanks for the answer. I may have to go look for some of them ground squirrels, tho i'd much rather find some crows. They are in season for about another month i believe. I'm itching to go because  i also just bought a new over/under, which is what i intend to hunt with. the pistol is just for plinking.

Thanks,-Dale

(Edited by dazco at 4:27 pm on Feb. 15, 2002)

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Daz,

I'm not real big on shooting ground squirrels, but they might be a perfect opportunity for some "plinking" with your pistol.  I know most guys like to use the long range guns and pop them across the field, but the one time I went, most of my shooting was within 50 yards with a 10/22 and iron sights.  My friend was having fun with a .357.  

That new O/U might be a good deal for turkeys next month.  I don't know anything about turkey hunting, but you can poke around that forum and learn a ton from some of the guys there.  

Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

Litch

Reaction score
I am curious how you got a hunting license without taking a test. Last time I checked, you still needed to take a hunter safety course to recieve a license.

redneckfowler1

Reaction score
If you do become interested in turkey hunting I started a little thing in the turkey hunting forum called first hunt or something to that nature.  this is going to be my first season and I have recieved many helpful hints so take a gander.  but as far as other things to hunt you can always go shoot pigs.  There is no daily or season limit on pigs and the season is year round.  

Top Bottom