Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No preference just as long as it catches game

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
My preferred breed of hunting dog is a Walker, but I have a Plott/Blue Lacy/Southern Blackmouth/Catahoula that I will never part with.

boarrunner

Reaction score
I think I will have to go with black mouth cur as my breed of choice, but I will hunt what ever catches the hog. In my kennel I have also have a hound/ mt.cur cross, male and female argentine dogo, a 3 1/2
month old walker pup who bays like a champ already, and I can't forget my German jagd terrier,
quite the variety, and everyone earns there kibble

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
boarrunner,

I know what you mean about hunting anything that will catch a hog.

Do you plan on breeding your Dogos anytime soon?

Wow, a 3 1/2 month old walker pup baying good already? Sounds like a keeper. What's its breeding?

---RIFLEMAN

boarrunner

Reaction score
Rifleman,
My F. dogo is a week older than the walker pup, so at least a year or so, I prefer to wait till the second heat at the earliest , and have enough time to determine that she has all the qualities I'm interested in carring on. She does allready have a good idea what she's here for. My walker pup, dogo pup, and a buddies 8 month old Blackmouth pup stopped and bayed up and caught a 50-60 sow that we came across while out running the pups the other day.
I was so proud of them my face was sore from grinning. I don't remember the breeding of the Walker I didn't get her papers. she was payment for delivering a dog. He had a litter of pups and my wife said the this little girl looks smartter than the other(7)so I took that one and she definetlly has the makens for a good dog.he had the gyp and was claiming the sire was the best bear dog in the state belonging to a guy that lived up near red bluff or there abouts, I think there are probablly alot of best in the state dogs out there ,, just ask their owners.haha..

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
boarrunner,
Where did you get your dogo? I would assume Texas or somewhere in the South.

I like your attitude. I am the same way about deciding when and if to breed. Too many people breed as soon as possible and could care less about IF they should breed; they only see the dollar signs. This does a tremendous disservice to the quality of the breed in my opinion. I cull hard and breed rarely, but stand behind the dogs that I keep in my pen. When they "make the team", they get their name retired and get to live out their days, no matter long that might be.

That is something to be proud of for certain. Did the dogo catch or was she baying?

Where did you get the Walker? Was there any left? Did you catch the Red Bluff guy's name?

---RIFLEMAN

boarrunner

Reaction score
Rifleman,
Your right, she came from college station, texas from a guy named tommy stratta.He raises hunting stock and sells them at a hunters price, if your into dogos at all you know how unafordable they can be. especially for this line of work. she ran straight in and got knocked for a loop right a way and ran back to me. I gave her a little encouragement, and she went back the other 2 were still baying hard, and she bayed a bit but could not resist and got to close and hooked again and got a little cut on her nose, that was all it took she shook it off didn't make a sound and dove on that ear and caught the hog, she got slung off a couple of times, but got right back on that ear. She did great never shook, just steady pulling!!

The walker came from a guy in Los banos, named Rob Mello, he uses the gyp for bobcats. he doesn't have any left. I think the guy who owns the sire might be named Andrews or somthing like that. He is supposedly pretty popular bear hunter up in that area . thats near your neck of the woods isn't it? I'll try and dig up Mello's number and find out who the sire is. I'd like to know for my Own records. I didn't plan on keeping her. I was strictly a cur man, just because of easy handling but the 2 hounds I have now have changed my mind. if they have a good handle and can find and stop a hog they can eat my food.

RIFLEMAN

Reaction score
boarrunner,

I'll shoot you an email; Jesse would prefer strictly two-way communication to be taken off the site so that it doesn't jam things up.

slymule

Reaction score
If I had to pick one it would be a Kemmer bred Mountain Cur, closely followed by Utchman bred Blueticks. Been running the curs for the last 8 years and that strain of blue dogs for the last 20 years or so. Tried just about every color and breed of hound and settled on the above. The Kemmer curs are the only curs I've ever had but don't know why a guy would need or want to change to something different.

boarrunner

Reaction score
welcome slymule. I agree ! Most kemmers are about as good as they come. my first dogs were double
fry's nevada striker blood top and bottom. You can bet there will allways be a kemmer in my pack.

slymule

Reaction score
Boarrunner, you said a mouthful when you mentioned Darrel Fry's Striker dog because thats exactly what my curs go back to also. They make awesome dogs!

Terrierman

Reaction score
Ok guys , I see there are just a handful of Votes so far But No Plotts or Black and Tans in the group? Those Curs seem to be working for you all...what are some of traits you really favor that make these so good?

Trailcutter

Reaction score
well guys im new to this site just found it the other day.
Ive got 3 blackmouth curs that i use for coon ans squ hunting. i live in central mississippi and we have a ball with my dogs.

Gray Fox

Reaction score
I have owned and hunted nothing but Leopard Curs for a little over 17 years. I primarily hunt bear, but run lions (out-of-state) and gray foxes and bobcats when bear season is closed.
When it comes to the breed of dogs..it is definitely "different strokes for different folks'!

HoundDawg

Reaction score
My favorite breed of dog is whatever my current lead dog happens to be!!

In my kennel I have 2 blueticks, a blue/redtick cross, a redtick, and a walker dog.

My favorite is whichever one catches the game for me. And it's generally the bluetick/redtick cross.

I like 'em all until they trash!! Then I just feed and tolerate them.

VABEARHUNTER

Reaction score
my hound of choice would be a walker,but any hound witha big mouth and a big heart that does what its suposed to do can live at my house.my oldest coonhound goes back to bawling banjo in her blood,and my youngest i havent a clue,she has no papers but she is a for real meat hunter.

rjricelny

Reaction score
I have two tri-color beagles, one 5 yr old 14" and one, believe it or not, 14 year old 16".

Both very good rabbit dogs...

Tabbycat1

Reaction score
Walker hounds are my top vote even though I love em all, a mostly white lemon spotted walker is it for me.

Tabbycat Elkins

hogwild05

Reaction score
I would have to go with a blackmouth cur myself. I wouldn't hunt with anything else!

hicntry

Reaction score
I would have to say that airedales are my favorite. Hunt silent and fast on track. will tree, bay, or get right into the mix. Great companion dogs also. I have a few of them around the place.

Top Bottom