Whats it like on the Delta?

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
First of all Has anybody hunted it this year yet? how was it. I really want to try to duck hunt the Delta, I have done some scouting/ fishing but have not hunted it yet. Do you need alot of cover? or can I cover the boat and sit still?, is it like the refuge where someone will set up on top of you, do birds fly throughout the day? I plan on hunting potato slough or around franks tract which I have not been to yet. Thanks in advance.  Bryan

jerry d

Reaction score
Be careful around Franks Tract. Some of the area is a state recreaction area. The people in green will ask for your autograph if they catch you shooting in the wrong place.

hntndux

Reaction score
My buddy has a blind in Franks Tract and the hunting right now is poor at best.  Too many fisherman and blinds in the area.  The flooded islands around such as Mandeville don't help either.  Weather will really help or some think fog...

Varmint Al

Reaction score
I am on Bethel Island and there are not many ducks flying yet. We are in an extended Indian Summer and the weather is just too good for duck hunting. Every day seems to be a blue-bird day. Still no fog either. However, pheasant season opens Saturday and that should really be good.

Varmint Al

Reaction score
Here it is Thursday Nov 15 and still no ducks in the air on Bethel Island. At least I didn’t see any at 8:00 am when I went out pheasant hunting. I hunted the goat ranch this morning. Doing much better on pheasants. Bart sniffed one out of the south ditch bank and it flew a south into the next field, but the load of #6's out of the 20 Ga caught up with it and it was dead when it hit the ground. Bart did a perfect across the ditch fetch and brought the bird to a perfect heel and delivered it to hand. He has passed the third leg of the Junior Hunter Test so I was letting him do the fancy finish on the retrieve. But while he was fetching he flushed a second rooster that flew my direction across the ditch and it took me two shots to nail him. (Need more practice I guess. ;-)  I sent him on a blind retrieve for the second bird and he did a nice fetch on it too with a fancy finish. We got the two roosters in 33 minutes. Not too bad.

While pheasant hunting the fog was fairly thick and a number (4 or 5 different flocks) of geese went over that I couldn’t see. So at least, some geese are down. They sounded like specks. Good hunting from Varmint Al & Bart

Latest Posts

Top Bottom