What's it mean?

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">I bailed on the in-laws on Saturday, & went for coyotes between Baldwin Lake and Lucerne Valley.  On my second series of calls, I had a coyote answer back with about 20 barks.  They were actually short "yips".  It waited about ten seconds and then gave my twenty more yips.  I waited about a minute and tried another volley, but nothing.  Anyone have any ideas?  This was my second attempt. I did see two does working the scrub on the way out - pretty neat.</font>

lintongb

Reaction score
I've heard about this before from somebody else on the board.  I think the general concensous was that you were busted!  I am by no means an authority on coyote hunting as I am fairly new myself.  But I think the coyote knew you were there.  Whether he smelled you are saw you I don't know but if they start barking back at you it is pretty hard to get them to come in.  Varmint Al says he has been able to call them a few time though.  You might want to check out his page.

songdog

Reaction score
For me, it always means I'm busted.  I've only had that happen once where we got the yote.  He was on the other side of a sand berm out at Wister about 70 yards away.  We went back and forth for 30-40 minutes - calling, yipping, calling, yipping, calling...  I think he finally got fed up with us and just had to see who was stupid enough to keep calling for 45 minutes and popped his head over the top of the berm to see.  Well, my friend plugged that one but every other one has resulted in nada.

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">Thanks for the input.  It sure got my heart pumping when I first heard him.  Well, back to the drawing board.</font>

Top Bottom