What's on Your Wall?

Which game animals do you run your dogs on?

• Total voters

RIFLEMAN

I accidentally deleted the previous poll when trying to edit the title of the topic. Sorry guys!

RIFLEMAN

Though I prefer running hogs, I will run my dogs on any of the animals in the poll. That is partially what makes hunting with dogs so exciting; you never know what you are going to catch.
There have been times where I thought I had a bobcat treed and found a hog bayed, thought I had a hog bayed, but found a bear bayed, thought I had a bear treed but had a coon treed...you just never can be too sure!!!

indianahunter85

Our dogs are reained to run only coons. Anything else is considered trash. A trash runnin dog usually gets a shock collar or a good whuppin for what hes done and after a while they learn that conns are what they are supposed tree, nothin else.

RIFLEMAN

Funny how one man's treasure (or game in this case) is another man's trash; I give my dogs a jolt for deer, elk, coyote, possum, rabbitt and skunk.

boarrunner

I prefer mine to only run hogs, only had to break them of deer, they havn't shown intrest in any other trash(knock on wood)

slymule

I run my dogs on coon, lion, bear, and bobcats. We don't have any hogs in Colorado. They get shocked for anything besides the above four. Oops, I forgot.... they can tree all the squirrels they want also. I'm running Bluetick hounds and Kemmer Curs.

Kevin_A

I agree, I only want my dogs running hogs. Except one of my dogos, I use him to tree squirrels, kill armadillos, and retrieving my dove. If there is a hog around, his attention span goes to crap though.

Terrierman

haha You guys are great. I like Running Badger!!!! I run up to the hole, send my dog in, and dig like freaking crazy to save my dogs ass....

wdmoore

Suspended Account
In Canada, some provinces anyway, we use them for deer. I use my walkers for wolves as well, but they'll run anything I put them on.

RIFLEMAN

Welcome, wdmoore. You run wolves with Walkers? How does that work? I'd imagine that it can be a pretty dangerous sport, given the fact that several hounds in Montana have been killed in recent years.

I tried to vote but it only let me vote for one species. I run everything except the hogs. We don't have them here in Utahrr. I have caught a few though, but I wouldn't say I was a hog hunter by any means. It was more unintentional than anything. You also didn't include a place to vote for trash. I run that too. Nothin' like a good trash race! It's like a friend told me once, "If you just turn your head, it all sounds the same." Sometimes it even sounds better.

RIFLEMAN

Welcome to Jesse's Hunting and Outdoors, Mackenzie. I am glad to see another houndsman on the site.

Yeah, I heart that; some of the best races are when they're running trash...no loses for the entire race!

bigworm

I see it has been a while since this thread had some activity, but I figured I would post any how. I run my dogs on hogs only. I hunt Catahoulas, Black mouth, and cur crosses. They are all straight hog dogs, or learning that way.

Frank X. Morris

Howdy All,
My Salukis run jacks. They do like to chase them coyotes if they can get them in the open. My youngest one was the last to learn "you don't go in the brush" after them. Sighthounds will run anything that runs so there is concern when there are deer, cattle and horses around. Also a non-running thing called barbed wire makes your heart skip a beat.

Top Bottom