What's the chances?

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I've been wanting to try to make one of these home brew cams for over a year now but just haven't had the cahones to start one for fear of screwing it up. I have no electrical know how and just a little soldering know how. If I bought one of the pre-wired Owl  PF cameras from Hag, how difficult would it be to finish it with the sensor and all??

Does anyone make and sell these that I could buy as a "visual" to help me for when I make one myself? If so PLEASE let me know!

I would LOVE to be able to make a couple of these myself! Is there complete step by step list of instructions, materials, and tools that I missed somewhere?

Thanks everyone!

davered1

Reaction score
Bob,

If you buy a completed unit it would be hard for you to take it apart to look at it.

I will sell you a wired sensor, ready to be put in a enclosure. When you get it you can pull it out of house and visually locate all the wires soldered on to it, where they go and what they do.Then you would just have to put it all in an enclosure.

Then you can build one off of it.

I use the ms20 ,wired with a 5v relay so you can use 4c or 4d or 4aa batteries whatever you want,it would have a LED(aiming light) and 1 switch (cam/off/led) already in place.

IF you want one EMAIL me

(Edited by davered1 at 2:38 pm on May 9, 2002)

JoelM

Reaction score
Bob,

It took me a while to jump into the pool too. I had no experience with soldering or electronics. I can tell you I was way to nervous on my first cam to solder the wires on it. I had my brother inlaw do it (computer geek).  I did the sensor without to many problems. The board is bigger and easier to work with. I have started me second camera now and am in the deep end. I burned through one of the traces on the shutter board. The guys here are a great help. They can talk you through anything with pictures and written documents. They are instructing me on how to fix my camera now.

I would suggest that you buy one of ****** prewired camera's and do the MS20 sensor yourself. Once you are comfotable with that maybe try a camera. The switches and the enclosure are not to difficult to do. just line up the camera with the holes and go get some pictures.

really try it you will be hooked. Sure there will be problems but these guys can fix anything!!!!!!!

Good luck

Joel

buckmarkhnter

Reaction score
the biggest problem I have is trying to wean off the cam habbit, My wife is always asking why I build more, but they are MINE-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAll MINE. I got to get help for this problem.

mudroller

Reaction score
dude, I was an electronics RETARD before I built mine, and I was able to build my own cam. Just follow their directions, don't drink coffee when soldering, be paitient, and follow directions(notice I said that twice). I would get a magnifying glass and have a bright working area, it makes it easier. The second cam you do will seem so easy, you will involve your kids in the building.

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Dude, I was in the same boat!

My first took me, probably, close to a month to complete.  Followed the recommendations of everyone on the board and purchased all the pieces (except the camera) from Radio Shack.  I let it all sit in my garage for a week while I "familiarized" myself with each item, what it looked like, and went over the pictures (supplied with ALL the instructions) at least a few hundred times.

The next week, when I knew all the pieces by heart, I soldered everything together except the camera.  No harm done with anything you're goofing around with at this stage, and it doesn't take toooooooo long, even if you are a rookie like I was.  I would just recommend when you start, have your kid or wife available to assist as a third/fourth set of fingers when you start soldering things.  Heck, before you know it, you'll have the sensor and all the trimmings ready to go!

I ran around the house showing the wife and kids for HOURS after the LED went off!  Hell, my wife called me a ten year old for weeks after that, but hey, I was nervous as heck and happier than ever when it all worked!

The camera, saved for last, was (IMHO) the easiest.  Yeah, I was nervous again (as anyone would be) about taking apart something and performing a task I've never, EVER, tried before (How many people do YOU know who've scraped the green surface off a circuit board and started soldering tel-cord wire all over the place?) But once things were apart, things went smoothly and without a hitch.  I will recommend you NOT use tel-cord wire...pick something a little larger and less succeptable to breaking at the point of solder.

With me the hardest (read:  time consuming) part is getting the case prepared.  Cutting the foam, holes, drilling the switch holes, etc., etc., is the biggest pain in the rear.  On my second cam it took me fifteen minutes to wire the camera (I did that first this time, with a three wire hook-up instead of two); another thirty minutes to wire the sensor with all the trimmings; and three DAYS to finish goofing around with the case.  Yes, most of this time is waiting for the sealant to cure, but hey, time IS time, right?

Go buy all the goodies, set them on your bench in the garage, and look at them (with the instructions provided by this website) for a while.  It will take you a bit on the first one, but I promise you'll enjoy every nervous moment.

:toast-yellow:

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys! I think the cahones are sprouting!! LOL  The wiring part really had me concerned and is the BIGGEST reason why I didn't get started on this project LONG ago. I've been lurking around the site reading you're posts and envying you guys that could do it. I've always wanted a Cam Trakker but couldn't afford to fork over the money for one but I'd actually enjoy a Home Brew cam more than a Cam Trakker if I could actually make it myself.

davered1 I GREATLY appreciate the offer of the wired sensor as that will take some of the pressure off of me and make the first time easier! I will certainly be in touch!

If I get one of Hag's pre-wired cameras and one of davered1's ms20 wired with a 5v relay what else do I need? At that point will there be any wiring involved or just modifying a housing and fitting the camera?

Once again, Thanks everyone.

davered1

Reaction score
Bob,

I will scan a wired one tommorow and put a pic on here foryou to look at it is probably just as good as you buying one. Then you should be able to build one of you r own just as easy(quicker to!!)

LW

Reaction score
CF Bob, here is my first attempt, just finished last friday, I too lurked and listened for months before I waded in, finally got started a month ago,  learned to solder a little bit , learned to de-solder alot, burned my fingers, dropped hot molten metal in my lap, thought I fried every component several times over but much to my amazement IT WORKED!! Left out Sunday for the deer lease to put this one out and pick up  my commercial unit and stopped off at a friends to show him my pride and joy, he dumped a load of cash on the table and yep I left it with him, I went home grinning from ear to ear, planning my next adventure.

http://community.webshots.com/album/37574308cHKdqc

This one thanks to Bat, was built with a highlander case and 46mm uv filter (Bat again)  and thanks to SimpleArkansan on how to mount the filter. Owl PF  and Steve Hamiltons completed board. This is the way to go on the first one. I ordered the card kit but  set it aside till I get better at soldering.

Getting cocky now so I ordered one of Brian's completed boards,  a new OWL from ****** and a pelican 1120 from  Msfelton (preground for the owl to fit) I need to get the cam in the woods more than I need to  spend the time learning to solder the boards right now, besides I still have my card kit from Steve to work on at my leasure. Take it slow ,don't get discouraged if you mess up, plenty of help on this board. Good luck....

(Edited by LW at 1:30 am on May 10, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Here is the pics of the front and back of the MS20 board  with a 5V relay.

The wires are as follows:

RED = POWER
BLACK = GROUND
BLUE = CAMERA #1
WHITE = CAMERA #2
YELLOW =  LED GROUND
ORANGE = LED POWER

I flip board upside down and use the "test" switch for a 4 sec delay and "auto" for 1 min.

ANY QUESTIONS ?

bat

Reaction score
Bob,
 roll up your sleeves and jump in there, it's a heck of a lot of fun.  
LW,
 good looking cams you got there.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Cabin Fever Bob,
 The cam is the first thing i modified,but i suggest that you practice soldering and unsoldering on a curcuit board of some kind like out of a junk Remote or radio.Take your time,it is easy to break the runs off the camera if you pull on the wires that you solder on, so dont pull on them once they are soldered!!,Use small flexible wire,do the 2 wire setup first,one less wire to have to solder.Then drill a hole somewhere on the cam housing or leave out the shutter button for the wires to stick out of,And VERY carefully put the camera back together,put in the batteries,turn it on and then touch the 2 wires together,it should take a pic(flash and shutter should fire)in flash mode.
 Solder the ends of the wire before soldering them to the cameras board,then place the wire where you want it soldered too, and touch it just long enough for the solder to melt,after you remove the soldering iron hold the wire still till the solder cools.Job done.
 Everything is easy as 1 2 3,before you know it you will have a working cam and wont be able to stop from building another better looking cam.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
One thing I normally do to try to lessen the potential for screwing up the runs is find some way to "fix" the wires with a clip or somethin, in a blank location, solder them, and immediately put a dab of hot glue to the wires and the board. DON"T put the glue where it was soldered. If you have to re-solder its a real mess if you glue where you solder. I think this measure has kept me from pulling any traces SO FAR.

Butch

Top Bottom