Whats the Deal?

headshot223

Reaction score
Here in Michigan we cant use Rifle to take turky.

WHY NOT???

I have a few rifles that would work better then a bow or a shotgun would.

Headshot223

Tominator

Reaction score
The area I've hunted in MI also bans rifles for Deer. I think it is more of a case of safety (flat land) than anything else. As far as hunting turkeys is concerned, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest about rifles vs. shotguns, my personal feelings are that turkeys are to be called in close and killed with a close range weapon.
tominator

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
We are allowed to use rifles in the fall turkey season, but in the spring season, we are restricted to shotguns with a three shot maximum, and shot no larger than #4 (Pennsylvania), but like Tominator said, not to start any kind of a pissing match, it is a matter of SAFETY. Even with the "no rifle" law, we still have IDIOTS that shoot guys with shotguns, I can't imagine what some guys would do with a rifle in hand in the spring turkey woods!! And as a matter of preference, I prefer to call them in close before dropping the hammer, that is what makes the hunt so fun, sure, I could sniper many many more gobblers that I couldn't quite call into range with a rifle, but I wouldn't get the thrill of hearing that old gobbler drag his wing tips in the leaves, spit-N-drumming within 20 yards, so close and exciting that the hair stands up on the back of your neck. And if I don't connect today, I still have my tag, and can come back tomorrow and try to work him from a different angle. That is what makes turkey hunting so exciting for me! (And I personally carry a Shotgun in the fall season as well, and have a pretty good track record going)not that I measure my "succesfull" season's as filling my tag. At least here in PA, with the way the cities are sprawling into the countryside, and more and more hunting land and habitat gets destroyed, I look for the total ban on rifles for deer and turkey in the future (at least in most area's of the state where it's becoming quite suburban). Just my .02, not trying to ruffle any feathers!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom