Whats wrong with my MS20?

Trevor Saxon

Reaction score
I took my camera out in the woods yesterday to set it up. When I got it powered up to use the test light, the sensor was constantly triggering the test light. It was like I was constantly waving my hand in front of the sensor. So I took it home to try to fix it. First I charged up the battery, that did not work. Then I took the sensor out of its housing to see if I could see anything wrong, there is nothing wrong that I can tell. I thought it might be the temperature (85 - 90 where cameras are at) so I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes to see if it would work and guess what? It worked. How do I fix this so it will work when its hot outside? Here are the specs of my cam Bf Owl camera, Ms20 sensor,9v Makita battery.  Thanks A Bunch.    Trevor

BlackWater

Reaction score
Not sure that the heat is the problem  did  you mount sensor in case or outside?  I expect some of those that are having heat related problems have mounted the sensor inside.  

gizz

Reaction score
Here in PA the temps run in the 80's,with a few occasional 90's, and lots of humidity. I have yet to have a heat related problem and I have a mixture of MS20's inside and outside of the PVC box. The only thing different is I use a 12v battery although I don't know if that would have any affect. Is your cam in metal enclosure? That would certainly heat things up a bit.

Trevor Saxon

Reaction score
I mounted the sensor inside the camera housing.but I took it out to test it and it still was constantly going on and off.By the way I have 2 cameras and both do the same thing.I dont really mind a whole lot that it cant be used in hot weather, I just want to know if the heat is whats wrong.

gizz

Reaction score
Trevor - I think the only thing you can do at this point is some more testing. Try putting the thing back together and setting it up outside after the sun goes down and the temps drop a bit. If it works maybe you could leave it out all night then check in the next day to see if it is still working. Of course you may lose a roll of film over it if the thing stays tripped and fires off your entire roll. I'd sure be interested in finding out what temp is the trigger point for the problems. Your just gonna have to do some sperimentin to find out what's causing it, especially if it's happening with your other cam as well. This kinda rules out a bad component or solder joint. Report back with anything else you find.

Welby

Reaction score
I had this same problem with my MS20.  It would start triggering constantly until finally it just locked up.  A few hours of nonuse and it started working fine again, but only for a short time.

I discussed the problem at length with Tinhorn, but he'd never had it happen to one of his.  So, finally, I resorted to just replacing the thing.  I sure wish I knew why it went crazy though.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Trevor,

It doesn't sound like you have a bad sensor since both units do the same thing. Double and triple check all your connections,it may be the way it's hooked up. Make sure you have a good power source too measure the voltage while the unit is tripping to make sure there isn't a voltage drop somewhere from bad soldering or a loose connection.

SWAMPFOOT

Reaction score
TREVOR
I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME TWICE WHILE CHANGING BATTERIES IN TWO DIFF UNITS THE ONE THING CONSTANT IN BOTH OF MY SITUATIONS WAS THAT IT HAD JUST FINISHED A HARD RAIN AND THE AIR WAS VERY HUMID AND I THINK THAT MAYBE THERE WAS TOO MUCH MOISTURE INSIDE MY UNITS  MAYBE.   I DONT KNOW. TOOK THEM HOME LEFT ALONE SEVERAL DAYS AND NOW THEY WORK FINE. MAYBE THEY DRIED OUT ENOUGH. IF YOU FIGURE OUT WAY TO SOLVE LET ME KNOW.

gizz

Reaction score
OK, this is a true story. I made a couple cam's for my brother in law and he JUST called saying that he went to put one out and the LED won't go out. He's used this before so it did work at least one time. He's gonna bring them to my house and I'll take a look. I have a feeling though that the 12V batt is low since he said he hasn't charged it. It's been about 3 mos since i gave them to him. DUH!

wfontjr

Reaction score
my first deercam did the same repeat triggering, never did find anything wrong, replaced it, no problems since

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Some Notes:

If the battery is low, the MS20 (and probably all others) will "Toggle" between on and off, taking up a whole roll of film in a short time (like 3 or 4 mins)

Heat is hard on anything electronic, whether the heat comes from an outside source or internally.  Sometimes a hot component will work when it cools off and sometimes it's destroyed

Electronic things are like a light bulb, you never know when it will burn out

I have built 8 with the MS20 and 2 with House Burglar Alarm PIRs and only had one malfuntion.  One of the Home Burlar Alarm PIRs went bad after 3 years of use, it would draw too much current and run the 6v battery down in a day or so, it still worked otherwise. (this is an intermittant problem)

Tinhorn

(Edited by Tinhorn at 9:21 am on July 23, 2001)

Trevor Saxon

Reaction score
Well I have done some testing and I am leaning toward the humidity in the air. See in the mornings it does that on off on off thing, but in the evenings and some of the afternoon it works great. but I still don’t understand why they don’t do that if you use the MS20 like the stores sell them, I know a lady that has a MS20 on her driveway and it works fine. Is it when we cut the R3? Well that’s all I have now I will try some more testing later.

P.S. Both cameras do this, and I had the MS20's completely out of there housings.

Thanks yalls help        Trevor

(Edited by Trevor Saxon at 9:27 am on July 23, 2001)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom