Whats wrong with this deer?

flyer05

Reaction score
Sure doesn't look health at all. I don't think it's going to be here too long.

bowarr

Reaction score
Looks like the little guy needs to swallow..... could be a goiter though. The thyroid is the main growing mechanisim of any animal. He may have an over active one. Time will tell........

thehunter

Reaction score
Bad coat, goiter or tumor on the neck. I bet that this one might be going to the happy hunting ground or that big pasture in the sky.

dueber

Reaction score
You may want to show this photo to your local conservation officer and see if you can get permission to put this one down.

skeeterbait

Reaction score
Yes I have thought about that. I wanted to see if there was anyone who could tell me this was something that will go away. So far not. I am going to show it to a vet Monday and see if they can diagnose it.

Minnesota bear

Reaction score
I saw a snake on tv that ate a rabbit it looked just like that.Or it could be the camera

RutnNStrutn

Reaction score
I was thinking goiter. Either that, or it is a cross between a hamster and a deer, and ate a bunch of acorns but hasn't swallowed!!
Seriously though, keep us posted on what you find out.

toothwrecker

Reaction score
Low iodine levels resulting in hypothyroidism causing the goiter seen in the thyroid.

dueber

Reaction score
Toothwrecker is right on. We don't see much goiter in civilized human society, because of the iodine present in our diets, mostly through table salt. I don't know if this nutritional principle applies to deer, but if it does, maybe you can supply mineral blocks to counter a potential mineral deficiency in your deer population. I think you should do as recommend earlier and consult a veterinarian or wildlife biologist first, to see what the problem is. Goiter would not be my first guess.

pocomoke

Reaction score
I think he is just trying to get a headstart on the rut by swelling his neck up..Let us know if you find a bunch of scrapes there also...

jrichv

Reaction score
So I guess Toothwrecker is suggesting that the doe should increase the amount of fish in her diet???

But I think it could be a goiter, or a snake bite too... too bad either way.

jrichv

toothwrecker

Reaction score
"So I guess Toothwrecker is suggesting that the doe should increase the amount of fish in her diet???"==How in the world did someone come up w/ that?

I do not think people understand what the word goiter actually means. It refers to a localized swelling in the thyroid /neck area. It does not refer to the etiology that caused it. The etilogy would be something like hypothroidism, thyroid tumor, snakebite etc.
Did anyone else notice the patchiness of hair located on his sides, this is another symptom of hypothroidism.

arkansasbowhunter

Reaction score
how in the world did you get doe? its a button head unless its a she/he deer or something like that.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom