When animals attack

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I went out to the ranch tonight trying to nail some more yotes. Sat down at my first stand about 9:15pm. I started off with a tape of coyotes yipping then switched over to a jackrabbit in distress. Almost immediately after I started the rabbit tape, barn owls started diving at the speaker. Pretty cool I thought. Then I notice a set of eyes coming in. I shut the caller off, and waited. He slowed down, then stopped about 70 yds out and sat down. I started making squeak noises on the back of my hand and he started walking in slowly. Just about the time I'm starting to think a shot is coming, I hear PPHHHHTTT...PPHHHHTTT... then I feel something hit me in the back of the head harder than I can ever remember being hit, then immediately felt something sharp dig in. I didn't know whether to load my pants or try to see what the hell it was. I turned around with the spotlight just in time to see one of those danged owls. I don't know who was more surprised..... me or the owl that just grabbed a 200lb jackrabbit. Needless to say after all the commotion Mr. yote didn't hang around.(neither did Mr. owl) Other than a good headache and a few healthy scratches on the top of my head, I got a pretty cool story about the one that got away.
  I'm headed out for rabbits in the morning.......I hope they're a little easier on me :big-grin-aqua:                Scott

P.S.   Anyone know where I can pick up a used kevlar helmet for my next trip?:tank:

(Edited by grtwythunter at 11:24 pm on June 30, 2002)

(Edited by grtwythunter at 11:25 pm on June 30, 2002)

Hook

Reaction score
That's pretty funny, i thought owls have good night vision? You were'nt wearing your Easter Bunny outfit were you ??? :rofl

Rimrock

Reaction score
Kinda un-nerving, huh? I once had a hawk make three passes at me while bow hunting from a tree stand in full camo. The first one I didn't see. Just felt the wind from behind as it tried to take my cap. Then it went and sat on a tree limb and looked me over. The next two passes were straight on. I felt the wind each time.

Play fair

lintongb

Reaction score
That's pretty good.  I got a chuckle out of it.  The dang owls can get pretty big and those talons are really sharp too.

lintongb

Reaction score
That's pretty good.  I got a chuckle out of it.  The dang owls can get pretty big and those talons are really sharp too.  I thought I heard one time that owls do there hunting by sound.  Something like the can hear a mouse 100 yards away or something like that.  I may have been on Discovery Channel.

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Kevlar helmet?!?!?!  Better watch out, he might think your head is some strange colored turtle!  LOL!

Hogskin

Banned
Reaction score
Great story, Scott.  I was deer hunting in Oregon a couple years ago and an owl buzzed me from behind.  I nearly messed my pants.  

Hook, you made me laugh out loud at that one.

Regards,
Paul

songdog

Reaction score
I've had them come down at night but never hit me... ouch!

The one that still gets me to this day though is when you hear what sounds like something breathing behind you as you're calling only to find out it's a crow's wings 20 yards up in the air behind you.  

EVAN III

Reaction score
 Grtwhthunter,

Ouch!! maybe you should get yourself one of those tent ground blind things. Kevlar also sounds good.

EVAN III

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom