When another hunter finds you honey hole

imperial valley hunter

Reaction score
So check this out...

The spot I've been hunting for the past 3 years has been found by a "sponsored" hunter. He already posted pics online about "his" new spot he found and can't wait to hunt it. My cam is set up probably 10-15 yards from his i'm guessing by the looks of his pics. So it looks like I will have a hunting neighbor when the season opens up this year. It's kinda funny but I guess I can now check his post' and see if my cam missed any bucks, it's like having 2 cams out now ;-). It's a first for me but has this ever happened to any of you? It's BLM land so I am cool with it and understand nothing can be done, I will just have to be at the spot a little earlier this year.

cjack

Reaction score
I stumbled across someones spot last year in the forest, the guy had 4 cameras covering all angles and 2 tree stands set up for different wind conditions. There was a lot of sign in the area and although I did hunt the spot for a couple of days I never saw a buck. The owner of the equipment was a trusting sort, no locks on the cameras or climbing tree stands. Couldn't resist the photo opportunity and left the guy a few pictures of an antler shed that I brought with me one day just to mess with him.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
I’ve had that happen during dove season. 2015 season we camped a mile or so away from our dove spot, and when we got to the spot at 4:45-5 AM there were 3 guys already set up with a mojo. My 2 hunting pals and I were like “what the heck? The whole reason we camped nearby was to be the first ones there”. I asked my older pal what we should do, he said “screw it, its California” so we just elbowed our way in. I’m sure those guys weren’t too happy to have us hunting pretty much right there with them, but oh well, its public land.

Rodburner

Reaction score
I’ve had that happen during dove season. 2015 season we camped a mile or so away from our dove spot, and when we got to the spot at 4:45-5 AM there were 3 guys already set up with a mojo. My 2 hunting pals and I were like “what the heck? The whole reason we camped nearby was to be the first ones there”. I asked my older pal what we should do, he said “screw it, its California” so we just elbowed our way in. I’m sure those guys weren’t too happy to have us hunting pretty much right there with them, but oh well, its public land.
like they say first come first served! Who the hell are THEY anyway?

TheGDog

Reaction score
This one time out for coyotes... I was there since before sun-up. Hit up several places.. eventually made a loop and came back toward an area closer to where I'd parked the truck.

This @#[email protected]#$ GrandPa and kid drive in. I kill the caller and wait to see what happens.

They decide to park nearby my dang truck. They first walk past the draw I'm in over to this flatter knoll.

So I'm like FACK! So I go back down and pickup the decoy and caller. Figure I'll just head higher-up in... much deeper into this particular draw to be away from them. And I went quite a ways back into that draw. Crossed over a saddle and into the continuing draw.

It's more like mid-monring now... So I'm just waiting to see WTF they are gonna do before I decide to start the caller again. Figure I'm not missing out much on activity since its later part of morning.

Then... they come back to their truck. I figure sweet, ok, they'll leave. Freakin WRONG! They start coming right up the ridge that is beside the draw that I went deeper into to be AWAY from them! At a certain point they are where they can have a visual on me. So I let out a loud whistle while waving my hand... when they look my direction... then I motion with my hand like "Hey, go back! Go back that way!".

But nope. This @#[email protected]#$ a**hole decides he's gonna push up that ridge... just for a hike... in the middle of nowhere in the freaking desert hills... with his grandson. So I shout out "Thanks a f*ckin' lot A**hole! I moved up in here when I saw you guys to be AWAY from you guys... on purpose! Thanks a f*ckin LOT!". So then figured I'd just have to wait until they eventually climbed up that ridge and were gone.

So then.... when this ba*tard and his grandson get up on the top of that ridge near to me... they see to it to come on over to the edge of that ridge where they can peer over and see me down in that draw patiently waiting for their stupid a**es to go by... and they come over to the edge and are all like "AHHH!!!! RAWRRRR!!!!!" Purposefully making screams and yells to make sure to attempt to spook away and and every living creature that might have been in the area.

Lesson learned?

Gotta put boots to ground and do the work, to climb up and make sure you're away from the riff-raff.

Also, learned that poppin' Squeeks does a lot to calm your anger afterward! ;)

jackrabbit

Reaction score
Yep. I've had plenty of the same experiences hunting and fishing. Once fishing the river shore seven miles from home my friend and I were set in chairs and cathing planted trout -- we were 3 feet apart. Another regular on the river set up his chair right in between us!!! We could not believe it and had a few words with him and popped open a couple beers and kept on fishing. We caught more fish and he caught nothing -- he did not have "the right stuff."

Another time at Lake Mamie in the eastern sierras, 4 of us were fishing from shore and I had a 12 foot ultralight rod with 2 pound test and I was casting way out into the main creek channel. The only other person fishing the lake was a float tuber going all over the lake dragging an artificial with his fly rod. He saw me cathing fish and decided to just keep trolling over my hole. I yelled that I had the spot first, but he did not care. So I just kept casting without regard to where his fly line was. Of course we got totally crossed up many times, and we had words, but I could reset my spinning outfit a lot faster than he could re-rig. It actually became entertainment for my group -- they nicknamed him "The float tuber from hell." We opened some beers.

Top Bottom