When is a "customer" not a customer?

Marty

Reaction score
Cash
Coin
U.S. Dollars

Get away from me kid, can't you see I'm trying to sell a phone here???
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Paying Cash? That'll cost you EXTRA - MSNBC Article
It’s no joke. Beginning earlier this year, AT&T Wireless began to charge customers who pay their bills in their stores.

"It is a way of saving money ... it helps us keep our costs lower," said AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel. "We want our associates to spend their time helping customers as they are thinking about their wireless plans or looking at phones."

There are multiple ways for consumers to pay their bills for free, he added -- in the mail, by electronic payment and on the Web. There are even kiosks in stores where bill payments can be dropped off for free. But having a sales clerk take the payment costs extra.

"If someone really wants to pay using the service of a representative, we think it's appropriate to assess this fee," Siegel said.[/b]

Rodney Hood

Reaction score
I would say it's time to change carriers!

Paperless society?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
And how often do I see an extra charge for using a credit card? What ever happened to the 3% cash discount?

Gunslingergirl

Reaction score
The customers who they should be worrying about are the ones who aren't paying their bills.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Several cities in CA will not accept cash for their water bills. Much easier audit trail and harder for employees to get sticky fingers.

OC hunter

Reaction score
If I "OPT Out" and just have a bill emailed to me or check my account online with no paper bill mailed to me. How come I don't get $1 off each month? I pay almost all my bills online but still get mailed a bill each month. Some utilities have asked if I would like to receive electronic bill only. As soon as they offer a discount, I will.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Common Sense @ Apr 28 2008, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Several cities in CA will not accept cash for their water bills. Much easier audit trail and harder for employees to get sticky fingers.[/b]

I believe that it might be illeagal to not accept cash as a form of payment. I say this because last time I checked my cash had the following statement printed on it:

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"

I understand why they don't want to take it, but they have to!

el_vaquero

Reaction score
I'm sure "sticky fingers" is a big part of the reason. The added charge will deter people from making cash transactions in the store and cut down on employee theft as a result. I'm not even in the retail business, but as a consumer I see the quality of employees out there in the work pool and wonder how businesses survive.

Common Sense

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cold1nhand @ Apr 29 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Common Sense @ Apr 28 2008, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Several cities in CA will not accept cash for their water bills. Much easier audit trail and harder for employees to get sticky fingers.[/b]

I believe that it might be illeagal to not accept cash as a form of payment. I say this because last time I checked my cash had the following statement printed on it:

[/b][/quote]

Cold1, you are right; but the government does what it wants. How many people you figure pay the $7.50 elk tag application in cash. How about Fed or State income taxes? A few years ago there was a sign at the Sherrif's office saying that CCW permit fees had to be paid with check or Money order. When I went to college, my tuition had to be check, MO, or credit card.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cold1nhand @ Apr 29 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I understand why they don't want to take it, but they have to![/b]

not true at all. The statement just means that it is a LEGAL form of payment. There is absolutely no federal law that states a business (private or public) MUST accept cash as payment. Try going to a fast food place and pay with a $100 bill. Most won't take them, although a lot more are. Just because it's legal, doesn't mean it has to be accepted.

Here's another example. Discover, AMEX, Visa, MC, Diners Club, Carte Blanche are all examples of credit cards. All are forms of payment, they just aren't all accepted everywhere.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Yupp... legal tender simply means it CAN be used, not that it MUST be accepted.

I do think the ATT Wireless policy (and others like it) are bad business practices, but it's up to the consumers to speak with their wallets if they don't like it.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EL CAZADOR @ Apr 29 2008, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here's another example. Discover, AMEX, Visa, MC, Diners Club, Carte Blanche are all examples of credit cards. All are forms of payment, they just aren't all accepted everywhere.[/b]
The difference between cash and plastic, is one is issued by the government. And as for fast food places not accepting $100, I am starting to see it more often. Actually many places are not accepting bills over a twenty! So what if I order $100 worth of food? Then what? I could go on and on about this topic but I will leave you with one last thought. If you are worried about your employee ripping you off, then you shouldn't have hired them!

Top Bottom