When is enough, enough?

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this, and I'm going to qualify my statement beforehand by saying that out of towners and new pig hunters can be excused for this. Locals that should know better are just being slobs and reduce the hunting opportunity for the rest of us more, shall I say, conscientious hunters.

Here's the deal: A local who I won't name, went out and shot three, THREE wet sows! So, how many piglets did he kill with those three sows? Sure it's legal, but there is such a thing as thinking ahead to next year's pigs and being an ethical hunter. Everyone that has heard of this incident just shook their heads, including the fish and game people. I've got no problem with a dry sow getting shot and yeah, wet sows have accidentally been killed, but this guy KNEW he was shooting sows and saw the piglets and did it anyway! My hunting partner and I spent all winter watching those hogs and enjoyed seeing them with their brood. Very annoying! He didn't make any friends with us!

Now I know I'm going to catch a lot of grief about this. You can denounce me and my position on shooting wet sows, but it won't change how I and my hunting buddies feel about it.

bigworm

Reaction score
When ever possible we let them go. My friends and I pass on wet sows, as well as piglets. Three wet sows may be around 18 to 24 piglets, plus the three sows? He must figure on just getting his, and not planning for tomorrow. Not too smart!

hronk

Reaction score
Same as fishing Bass on the beds and releasing them 2 miles away. Same as calling and killing Coyotes in the spring. Same as wading the Owens in Oct.-Dec when the Browns are spawning. I could go on and on. Some people are all about themselves. There are a lot more here that agree with you than don't. I saw a report of a guy killing a sow at 500yds lately. Think he could be sure that there were no babies in the high grass. I hope so.....hronk

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Personally, I'm with you 410. I can't see intentionally and repeatedly taking wet sows. It smacks of poor sportsmanship and selfishness. Plus, it just hurts my poor little soft heart to think of orphaning the babies (even though in a herd, other wet sows will "adopt" the orphans, the likelihood of becoming coyote food is very high).

But, as devil's advocate, I have to remind everyone that even though most of us in CA have come to think of hogs as game animals, there are many who believe in the eradication policy and consider any pig to be fair game... so a wet sow is a bonus, killing six to eight piglets with a single bullet. If that's where this guy is coming from, then it's hard to argue on "ethical" grounds.

wingbone_2003

Reaction score
MF410 you are not gonna get any flack from me either i would not do something like that and Hronk makes a good point,and as far as dfg look at the decisions they make to kill off pig by hired gun's instead of letting (ethical) hunter's go in to harvest them you can
all you want cuz i agree with you!

myfriendis410

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lurediver @ May 5 2008, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did someone see piglets?[/b]
We make the time to be sure there ARE NO piglets! I haven't seen or killed a hog that taking a moment to scope things out made any differance. We've also made some pretty cool stalks on what turned out to be a momma and had a good time getting within ten feet or so. You have to be careful this time of year on two counts: the grass is high and there are a lot of youngsters. Mistakes happen but we try to minimize the errors. I'd hate to be called "sow boy".

troutndeer

Reaction score
Im still waiting for my first pig, and I would still pass on a wet sow. It just shows pour judgement.

Wild1

Reaction score
No excuse for killing three wet sows. Just not the right thing to do.

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
I commend you for your concern, but if you're asking dfg cares or not. The answer is not. Most rancher with crop will say who cares. I have taken sow obn private ranches when the rancher decides to thin out the herd. But if it were my choice it which I have past on wet sows. I would let them walk and have before. If you spent $700 on a hunt and its the last day with no refunds if no kill. What would you do?

Flatbroke

Reaction score
I tend to pass on them also. I must say though that the litte ones are goood eating and fit nicely whole on the BBQ

myfriendis410

Reaction score
If I was out of town or paid a pile of money or was on someones land with instructions to shoot them, that's different. VAFB is managed for it's pig hunting and a lot of people participate in it, so none of the above applies.

I would rather see someone shoot a piglet than momma. I have shot a couple over the years and so has one of my hunting buddies. They are outstanding on the barbecue. Nothing better, kinda like turkey dark meat. But if I shoot a piglet, it's going to be one of several and I certainly didn't jeopardize the rest of the family by killing one, unlike shooting the momma.

Lurediver

Banned
Reaction score
[/quote]
We make the time to be sure there ARE NO piglets! I haven't seen or killed a hog that taking a moment to scope things out made any differance. We've also made some pretty cool stalks on what turned out to be a momma and had a good time getting within ten feet or so. You have to be careful this time of year on two counts: the grass is high and there are a lot of youngsters. Mistakes happen but we try to minimize the errors. I'd hate to be called "sow boy".
[/quote]

No, did someone see piglets with sows?

I've killed a fat sow fulll of babies, should we not hunt those either? Whats the difference?

DanV

Reaction score
Come on Phil ( devils advocate ) no excuse not to let them little ones grow up other than an accidental shooting , 3X is no accident . If somebody has a valid reason to eradicate them they should be hunting them not with a game tag but with a depredation permit and the carcass turned over to fish and game !

In my opinion that and the shooting of the striped little ones is SLOB hunting . Somebody's got too many pigs and problems , there are plenty ethical hunters out here willing to help out .

easymoney

Reaction score
Most people who use their heads and want to continue the resource for future harvest, pass on the wet sows. But then again, like ethics some have em and some never will...
DFG cares only about getting money from tag sales, period.

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
What can you do??? Not much as it is legal. But most of us here share your concern and would pass on a wet sow, not to mention three of them. Hopefully all three wet sows did not come out of the same heard and the little ones can be brought up by one of the other sows in the heard.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
They all came from the same group.

I too have been involved in killing a pregnant sow. However, it looked good, it was all alone, it had "shoulders" and was in a place we could expect to see a boar. It was just before dark and the evaluation was at close range after spotting it a mile away. My partner shot it and felt bad after; if it had been my shot I would have too. All the indicators looked good.

That is not the same as targeting three sows and shooting them and leaving the piglets. One was killed on Saturday morning and he went back and shot two more in the same place on Sunday morning! He knew, just didn't give a s&%t.

superduty

Reaction score
I couldn't do it on a regular hunt in Cali. I know Phil knows and remebers a particular hunt where the guy with the gun shot the wet sow and while skinning her the pigglets kept running up to them. They proceeded to kick the pigglets. This scene just tore my heart out. Nope, not for me. Now I will also play the devils advocate and say if I was in Tex. and the ranch owner said we have a reall problem here running this ranch due to the wild pigs and if you get a beed on a smaller pig to not hesitate and I will show you how we cook them around here and they are excellent eating then yes I would take em. I grew up hunting rabbits and love them. A small pig is bigger than that and should make a good meal from my understanding. I think what I'm getting at is it deppends on the circumstances but at VAFB I don't think it is warranted.

Rampage1

Reaction score
There is no reason to shoot a wet sow on vandenberg. There are a lot of pigs but not enough to jack up the ecosystem. I am not terribly picky when it comes to my pigs, but I'll pass on wet sows all day long. Would you mind saying what area it was in?

BrysonHesperiaResort

Reaction score
Bummer on the wet sows.
Not killing the mothers is called "Game Management". You might mention it to him?

Another big myth is that the other sows will raise the orphaned piglets. Simply not true. They are coyote bait plain and simple. So when he takes 1 wet sow, he automatically kills the piglets. It's like taking 5 instead of one, not to mention the fact that he kills the baby factory. Which will take 16 months to replace. In fact, he might as well kill them too while he's at it, because that just makes the coyotes follow the pigs more, once they start in on them.

Can you print this thread and mail it to him? Maybe he is just clueless.
Good luck with this, I'll bet you guys are so bummed.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom