When There Were PINS

huntducks

Reaction score
I came across a couple of pictures of more then ONE pintail in hand, just thought I would show you guys that never got to hunt them when you could shoot 7 brown heads a day.

Just maybe someday they will be back in the numbers they once were in the 60's & 70's
but it will take money, and water.

Join CWA, Delta Waterfowl, or DU money can make a differance.

Picture to fellow as soon as the leader posts them thanks Jesse.

Sorry about the B&W picture or the HENS.
http://community.webshots.com/user/pedrola...7"pintails

http://community.webshots.com/user/pedrola...ctures/pinlimit

(Edited by huntducks at 6:48 pm on April 16, 2002)

(Edited by huntducks at 6:50 pm on April 16, 2002)

(Edited by huntducks at 6:51 pm on April 16, 2002)

(Edited by huntducks at 6:54 pm on April 16, 2002)

(Edited by huntducks at 6:56 pm on April 16, 2002)

(Edited by huntducks at 7:00 pm on April 16, 2002)

jerry d

Reaction score
I remember those good ol' days of the 7 chocolate heads. Some days they were thick as flies and you couldn't beat them off with a stick. Limits in an hour.

Maybe, with luck, our great grandchildren will have the pleasure but with the current conditions on their breeding grounds, I'm afraid you and I will never see it again.

It's a shame........... Be nice to see your pictures and re-live some great memories, though.

THBailey

Reaction score
I am 50 years old and have several photos of my hunting pal and me with 14 drake pins.  One day I recall there was a stiff north wind and I downwinded a huge stool of ducks on that property just off southeast corner of Deleven.  That piece on the north side of Maxwell-Colusa road just east of the 2047 drain bordering the south end of Ash Ranch.  It was a Golden Ram property at that time and the canal was flooded over its banks.  Sitting on a rice check just above the flood water with 12 decoys out  I got seven drakes in about 30 minutes.  Another time, way, way back when I had just graduated from Sacramento State, I went out on a delta cornfield on Bacon Island.  It was an American Sprtsmans Club property and flooded up to the waist with ditches running here and there just to make things interesting.  A thick foggy morning, I got there at about 10 am.  I waded out towards a big stool I could hear making lots of noise out there through the fog.  The birds jumped, circled in the fog and went straight over the top at 20 yards, pulling up in a hard climb when they saw me through the fog.  I pulled seven bull sprig with only one miss with the old 97 Winchester, reloading two at a time after the first three.  Those that are old enough probably have similar stories.  One year, I don't presently recall when but back in the seventies, the limit was 5 ducks but thry gave us a bonus of two sprig, that is 7 ducks as long as two were sprig.  At the time Fish and Game said there was 10 sprig in the valley for every one of all other ducks combined.  Times have changed.

huntducks

Reaction score
THBailey

Boy they sure have changed, I was a ASC member for 12 yrs they had some great property, my favorite was Klamath Honker, 3000 acres and most of the time you were the only one there during the week, if you did not shoot a limit of ducks & geese it was because you could not hit water if you fell out of a boat.

I also hunted a club down by Los Banos called Decker club, and another up Colusa way Butte creek farms, the pins were just thick at both of them.

I can not imaigne what it would cost to join a club like what the ASC was in the 70's and early 80's, WU is not a 1/4 of what the ASC was back then.

I guess you have to be our age i'm (54) yikes to know what the good old days of pintail hunting was like.

Hope Jesse get the pictures up.

huntducks

Reaction score
I will try to get the pictures on webshot tonight or should I say my wife, we have tried before , but with the hi speed server we have they don't seem to work.

d trees

Reaction score
Greg cant wait for those pics, I hope that pins will rebound like that so I will get to see it
first hand .d

jerry d

Reaction score
You got that right, CREOLE.

I haven't shot a hen Pin since the limit went to one a day. Makes it difficult at first light but I've been lucky in identifying them, so far.

Spec

Reaction score
I have only shot 3 hen pintail in 3 years and those were just to use for mounting pairs of them together when you have 10 drakes and 1 hen in a flock it is hard to even think about shooting a hen!!

huntducks

Reaction score
My wife did not get a chance at the picture she promised me today.

Man the disaperity (sp) of hens to drakes is really something and that seem's to me to be the problem, when you see 40 pins and only 5-6 are hens that aint right.

Man that could make for some horney drakes this time of the year.

I have not shot a hen pin in 4-5 years, I useuly don't even shoot hens of anything except teal.

Another Mike

Reaction score
I started waterfowl hunting at the very tail end of the glory days for sprig in the early 1980's.  I remember the skies over Volta W.A. "white" with sprig during a north wind.

Huntducks.... your photo entitled "7" sprig you have at least 3 wigeon (with the white wing patches) in your hands there. Nice photos though!

huntducks

Reaction score

huntducks

Reaction score
Derek

You liked that buck, I shot a few more like him just a few inches less, I had a bunch of pictures, but do to a fire 11-12 years ago I lost several albums, and only had a few of the pictures that never made it into them or one's my dad took.

d trees

Reaction score
Greg Very nice pics cant wait to be standing in my own pics like that , now if I could just get drawn,d

twoducks

Reaction score
I can remember hunting out of Willows in the late 50's and early 60's, ducks and geese used to light in town during heavy storms and thick fog.  Remember seeing snow geese light on top of the high school one foggy night because of the thick fog, school had white rock on the roof and the damn birds thought it was water or snow not sure.  But the hunting was nothing short of incredible, could hunt any where just for the asking, times have changed to say the least, some for the better some worse.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom