• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Where are you from in Alaska?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
How about some short introductions?

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most?

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip?

Do you use a rifle shotgun or bow? What kind?

What is your favorite hunting memory?

What is your dream hunt?

MOOSEBURGER

Originally from GA, I have lived in the Mat-Su area of AK since 1998.
Mostly I hunt moose. I hunted white tail deer some as a young one growing up in GA, but mostly in those days I hunted squirrel, rabbit, and birds. My dad taught me dove hunting by taking me along as his retriever. My first time shooting a 12-gauge was at 9 years old. My dad stood behind me and caught me when the recoil knocked me backward. When I saw how it destroyed the milk jug (from 15 feet), I was hooked.
I have used a Ruger .338 for moose until this year. I recently purchased a Savage .300 WinMag and am going to use it on my moose hunt in about 2 weeks.
My dream hunt is to be dropped off in a remote area Alaska, maybe the Lake Clark area, with my three young boys who are learning to shoot and hunt.

any other Alaskan's out there?

Widux

I ain't an Alaskan any more except in spirit but lived there for 25 yrs and left in 98-i go back to fish every year and next March will be in Fai for the Tired Iron Snomachine Classic -our team will be among the oldes with the youngest member(pit) 46-me (driver) 67,and are other driver82-rest of our pit crew is 78 and 52 BUT our Bikini Girl is about 23.
I hunted everything but polar bear and walrus during my time in AK- some unuasual things i did was to hunt Sea lion and waterfowl on St Paul Isl with local folks. favorite hunt-Sheep--worst hunt--Goats--What I'd like to do is go on one more Sheep hunt--might do as i have 2 new knees now.

Dakota

I'm in that hunting paradise SoCal now but formerly resided in Fox Alaska just north of Fairbanks. I used to absolutely love to hunt ducks and geese on the Minto Flats. The pike fishing was awsome there as well. Took moose, caribou and bear but I regret never hunting for Dall Sheep. Maybe someday.

Lost_By_Choice

Hello all! I live in the Anchorage area, I am addicted to big game hunting. I don't know if I could pick just one as my favorite because I love variety. I have always had a fascination with upland bird hunting but I am a horrible wingshot
. I grew up hunting whitetails in the midwest, but started out on squirrels and rabbits. They are all my favorite hunting memories, even the ones that turned out horrible(they make great stories). My go to rifle is my M70 .300 WSM, I have shot most my big game animals with it other then the deer when I was growing up, then it was my .243. Well anyways, enough "blah blah blah" about me.

Ryan

Anglette

Where are you from in Alaska? Houston, Alaska

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most? moose, caribou and FEESH

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip? My Grampa, YEARS & YEARS ago

Do you use a rifle shotgun or bow? What kind? Mathews Ignition

What is your favorite hunting memory? Trying not to scream for joy after I GOT HIM!!!

What is your dream hunt? Africa

waldo2382

Where are you from in Alaska? Funny question since everyone up here seems to be originally from somewhere else. I live in Homer and I am originnally from (most common question up here) Long Beach, California

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most? I'm an equal opportunity hunter, but love waterfowl hunting

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip? My dad has taken me on a few deer, antelope and pig hunts that were guided. I do a lot of DIY hunts and taught myselft with the help of close friends how to waterfowl hunt.

Do you use a rifle shotgun or bow? What kind? All the above of many different makers

What is your favorite hunting memory? Can't pin it down to just one.

What is your dream hunt? Hunting King Eiders in the Aluetians.

sbiinc

Fairbanks :)

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most?
In May-Bears August-Sheep Sept-Moose, guess about anything on 4 legs and bigger than a small dog...

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip?
My father taught me and I was solo squirrel hunting in Louisana at about 8 yr old.

Do you use a rifle shotgun or bow? What kind?
Rifle, 338, 30-06, and a 300 RUM

What is your favorite hunting memory?
Hard question, being charged by a moose (now on the wall) or watching a grizz try to take a big caribou bull.

What is your dream hunt?
Living the dream now, grizz/brown bear hunting, sheep, moose, bou... why go anywhere else? Only thing I'd like more is if my dad were healthy enough to join me...

I live about a 45 minute flight in a 206 from Anchorage. I hunt just about anything edible moose, black bear, spruce hen what ever. I hunt with with rifle and a shotgun. I guide for a living mostly bear and moose.

kirkdevlin

I used to live in Moose Pass, then Tok. I hunted both moose and 'boo. Got 2 boo, nothing worth bragging about. I live in Wyoming now, do a LOT of hunting here. My wife and I killed 10 big game animals last year. IF, big IF, we get all our tags and then another big IF we fill them all we could get 18 animals this year. We would be filling the neighbors and co-workers freezers if we get that many, but thats part of why we hunt.

Mootster

I currently don't live in Alaska, but I did throughout the '80's and am going to move back up as soon as I retire (4 years from now). I took a nice Dall Sheep ram on a solo hunt in the Talkeetna Mts. in '87 (young, dumb, and full of energy), went to Kodiak Is. and Afognak Is. (unsuccessfully for bear, but got a bunch of deer). Went on a two week hunt/fish trip in the PWS with 5 other co-workers out of our boss's converted fishing trawler (before the big oil spill). We caught halibut, salmon, and cod, shot two black bears, two brown bears and a few deer. It was very, very fun. Some of the best times were rabbit hunting on numerous occasions with my buddy Preston's beagle down in the Swanson river/lakes area and again up in the Knik river area on the other side of the old bridge. Don't know if my age/knees can handle Dall Sheep anymore, but am sure going to give it a heck of a try. If I had my choice, and all other things being equal, it's the only thing I'd ever hunt. Something about it grabs you.

bssd

Where are you from in Alaska? Grew up in Anchorage...still have a place in Clam Gulch (Near Soldotna for outsiders); live in San Diego most the year now.

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most? Whitetail

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip? A mashup from my father and grandfather who taught me so much about being outdoors. Many friends teaching me about game animals that family did not target.

Do you use a rifle shotgun or bow? What kind? Rifle. Have a few but newest is a Mossberg 4x4, 300WM in Walnut.

What is your favorite hunting memory? Laying on a ridge in Northern AZ as the first snow fell and watching Elk. It was dead quiet and you could hear the snowflakes hitting the ground.

What is your dream hunt? I want a long shot antelope. Have seen them from a long way off but never did have the skills for that kind of long shot.(need to work on my math :))

Top Bottom