• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Where are you from in Hawaii?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
How about some short introductions?

Where are you from in Hawaii?

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most?

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip?

Do you use a rifle shotgun, or bow? What kind?

What is your favorite hunting memory?

What is your dream hunt?

dkking1

I am from san diego just moved to maui I am a bird hunter and bowhunter. Can't wait to learn the seasons and locations

dkking1

I am from san diego just moved to maui I am a bird hunter and bowhunter. Can't wait to learn the seasons and locations

my frien in college taught me to hunt
my first hunt was for dove in arizona back in 2000

my favorite hunting memory was a duck hunt in san diego where all three of us limited out on quality ducks although an oregon duck trip may tie for second when my gun dog did it's first retrieve after i called my first duck almost simultaniously.

my dream hunt would be a combo hunt pig, deer and birds all in one hunt not sure if any seasons overlap like that buta week long hunt in which you get some of each.

Mommyof5

Aloha! I'm live in Waimea on the Big Island of Hawaii. My family & I hunt wild goats, sheep, upland birds, turkeys & wild bulls, also my husband hunts deer on Mau'i & Lana'i. Favorite game to hunt is wild pigs!

My dad took me hunting when I was between the ages of 6-9 (had to stay in/close to the truck mostly) :(, shot my first pig at 10 yrs old with a 22 long rifle.

I remember my my dad telling me to get in the truck that day. I didn't ask where we were going because I had seen the dogs in back the truck, so I had a feeling I was going hunting. Took them on a run trough some old sugar cane fields in Kukuihaele above Waipi'o Valley, 10 min later...steady bark! Dad had the rifle, I had the knife. We both ran a few minutes not very far from the road. Dogs stopped a 70+ lb fat sow, dad wasn't sure if we should take her cause she might be hapai (pregnant). So he called off the dogs & let her go. 20 minutes later we hit again, this time a big rusty boar. I remember him telling me to get up on the tree cause this guy had some nihos (tusks). He let the dogs work the boar until they cornered it against some fallen trees. Gave me the 22 and said, "when I call the dogs off, take the shot". Oh man was I nervous! Ready & waiting, dad called the dogs off & the boar watched dad as he said "head shot girl", I pulled- BOOM! 15 yard head shot right between his eyes! He dropped but was still moving, dogs grabbed & dad knifed him. Got a nice jaw from him, 4 inch total length. Yep I still remember that hunt. That was a great feeling to have & will cherish that time hunting with dad!

I recently started hunting with my husband to teach our children about it. They love it and enjoy every moment we spend outdoors!

As for a dream hunt, I really need to think about that one!

I hunt with a 243 & a 270 for bigger game. I also use a 20 gauge for upland birds. Pretty basic, nothing fancy.

hawaiijed

How about some short introductions?
21yr auto mechanic and loves hunting for all animals.

Where are you from in Hawaii? big island kamuela

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most? goats/ sheep/ and pig/ deer

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip? my Dad and grandpa they had the pass to go goat and bird hunting all over parker ranch. my grandpa was a ranch-hand. i was probably around 7-8 when i first started hunting i would just follow my dad and he would shoot then after at about 9-10 I finally got to shoot a rifle .243 at paper targets. my first kill came a small boar that we caught with a trap in paauilo. after that my dad let me do all the shooting.

Do you use a rifle shotgun, or bow? What kind? i use all i currently have a variety of firearms. but my favorite is my .308 but i also hunt w/ .243 .270 and 30.06. i shoot mathews dxt.

What is your favorite hunting memory? i have so many im not sure but if i had to pick it would probably be when I caught 4 baby goats

What is your dream hunt? I always wanted to do a big game hunt taken with my bow.ill have to save up for it...

Huntr Pat

Born and raised in Ma' i le Beach was pronounce Maile but some idiot from the mainland decide its not politically correct pronunciation. went to Nanakuli Elementary, Waianae Mid, then Grad from Waianae High. Fished and hunted all through younger years on the west side. Now I hunt and fish in the bayarea California. I'm always willing to journey back to my islands roots to hunt & fish

elevated

Aloha all Hawaii hunters!

I was born and raised on Oahu, moved to Cali for college. Started hunting in Cali, about 2 years ago, basically taught myself since I was always interested in it. I've shot some upland game, a few rabbits here and there, no big game yet. The last 2 deer seasons my job kept me planted on my ass. I am moving home to hawaii in about a year (I got to get the papers for my Dog in order).

So far upland is my favorite, I love to hear birds flush and take a few down.

Currently hunt with a shotgun, looking forward to getting a bolt action .30-something for this deer season.

Fav hunting memory was my last birthday less than a month ago. My girl got me a day of hunting on an upland ranch and it was a lot of fun. The best part was that my girlfriend went with me and now wants to take the hunters ed course and go hunting!

A dream hunt for me would be some kind of combo hunt maybe in alaska with some epic fishing etc. Also just kicking back with some friends enjoying the meat from a hard days hunt sounds like a dream right now.

Growing up in hawaii I fished a lot but never hunted. I am looking forward to learning how to hunt pigs and hope to make it over to the outer islands a few times for deer or other big game when I move back.

Aloha,

Lucas

Top Bottom