Where are you from in Oklahoma?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
How about some short introductions?

Where are you from in Oklahoma?

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most?

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip?

Do you use a rifle shotgun, or bow? What kind?

What is your favorite hunting memory?

What is your dream hunt?

Sooner Cooner

Reaction score
Hey Spectr17,

My name is Michael Gardner. I am a student at SOSU and 19 years old. I have been hunting for about 5 years.

I have lived in or around Durant for most of my life and do most of my hunting in the Mead and Bennington areas.

I hunt deer, squirrel, and recently bought my first coon dog. A Walker. I also do various other small game and varmint hunting and am getting very interested in trapping.

I guess you could say I taught myself to hunt. My dad and grandpa took me a little before I got my driver's license. But now I have learned new kinds of hunting by self trial and error and learning resources. The first time i went hunting was the day after i got my hunter safety course card. i was 14 and my dad took me the next day (a sunday). It was the first sunday my mom let me miss church lol.

I used to hunt exclusively with a shotgun, but now use a 30-30 for deer and my .22 for most everything else. I have a few shotguns, a bow, Blackpowder, and plan on buying a strictly coyote gun.

All my memorys are wonderful, but the first deer i shot was with my 30-30 and i remember it like yesterday. it was at about 40 yds and after i shot it came straight towards me. i shot it again and it dropped right in front of me.

Exotic Hunts are a fantasy, but i would also like to go bear hunting or hog hunting (I saw on a advertisement for a lodge in texas that you could do night hunts with dogs, but you would have to use a knife. that would be kinda thrilling)

Anyways talk to ya later,
Michael

RtWill78

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Where are you from in Oklahoma?[/b]
I live in Pauls Valley now, but I grew up in Weatherford, and went to school in Norman at the University of Oklahoma.

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most?[/b]
I hunt about anything that gets me into the woods and out into nature. If I had to pick one it would definantly be Whitetail Deer the most.

Who taught you how to hunt and when was your first hunting trip?[/b]
My dad and older brothers taught me to hunt and my first "offical" hunting trip was at seven when my big brothers invited me to grow hunting with my BB gun with them.

Do you use a rifle shotgun, or bow? What kind?[/b]
I really, really like bowhunting and I have both a Buckmasters G2 and a Custom Longbow. I hunt with guns and I have a Winchester Model 70 30-06, A CVA MagBolt .45 Cal Muzzleloader, A Charles Daily 12 Gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun, a New England Single Shot 12 Gauge, and a Marlin .22.

What is your favorite hunting memory?[/b]
My favorite hunting memory would have to be taking my first Buck, I was 14 and shaking like crazy, shooting and missing, shooting again and making a clean shot, then yelling and being really excited, talking to myself... glad no one else was around. What a day!

What is your dream hunt?[/b]
My dream hunt would have to be bowhunting in either Saskatchewan or Alaska, deer in Saskatchewan and Bear in Alaska!

RT

okiefirefighter

Reaction score
My name is Kevin Putney. I live in Cache, Ok. and have lived in this part of Ok. all of my 44 years. I am a professional firefighter and have worked for the Lawton Fire Dep't for 20 years. My work schedule allows me to be off 20 days a month and I have to have a hobby and so that gives me ample time to hunt.

I like to hunt turkey, deer, and hogs. Also Prarie dog hunting.

My Dad got me into hunting when I was about eleven. We would go dove hunting together and he gave me a .410 to use. I fired hundreds of rounds at those stupid dove and never killed a single one. When I was 12, my Dad got me a mossberg 20 ga. and that is when I finally started to kill birds.

I hunt with a 30-06, a 50 cal in-line CVA, a Mossberg 835, but mostly I like to use my Jennings Rackmaster Bow for turkey, deer, hogs, and the ocassional bothersome armadillo!!!

My favorite memory is when I got drawn for a buck Antelope in '97. My Dad went with me and we belly crawled for about 500 yards to get close enough for a shot. It was a hunt that we both will never forget!

I would like to go on a hunt for elk, moose, and caribou somewhere in the world.

baseinba

Reaction score
Hello everyone I live in Broken Arrow, I mostly hunt deer nowdays. I grew up hunting just about everything. My dad was my mentor. I hunt with a Bear compound bow a Rem 700 inline muzzleloader and a Rem 30-06 woodsmaster. I hunt mostly public land now with friends and sometimes alone. Favorite hunting trip? I was deer hunting up by wyandotte on some lease land. I was on a steep hillside a little ways from the truck. It was pouring rain and had been for four hours. Suddenly the rain stopped and snow started. BIG FLAKES. It went from real noisy on my raincoat to very quiet. I was looking behind me and heard something right in front of me. I turned around and there was a real heavy tined 8 point. I raised my 30-30 marlin and shot. The deer ran like I missed I shot again as he ran pass my tree. He ran on to the top of the hill about 75yds and stopped to look at me. I fired again and he dropped. All three shots hit and were killing shots. I gutted him and he drug me down the snowy hillside. We went through the knee deep creek. I guess it was cold but I didnt notice. 165lbs field dressed. This was my biggest deer but most memorable is the fact that my dad, grandpa and uncle shot deer the same morning. My brother was left out. HaHa A little brotherly competition and I won. Dream hunt? Any and all but probably the once in a lifetime elk hunt. Ive put in for it every year since 1984.

RtWill78

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (baseinba @ Aug 3 2006, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello everyone I live in Broken Arrow, I mostly hunt deer nowdays. I grew up hunting just about everything. My dad was my mentor. I hunt with a Bear compound bow a Rem 700 inline muzzleloader and a Rem 30-06 woodsmaster. I hunt mostly public land now with friends and sometimes alone. Favorite hunting trip? I was deer hunting up by wyandotte on some lease land. I was on a steep hillside a little ways from the truck. It was pouring rain and had been for four hours. Suddenly the rain stopped and snow started. BIG FLAKES. It went from real noisy on my raincoat to very quiet. I was looking behind me and heard something right in front of me. I turned around and there was a real heavy tined 8 point. I raised my 30-30 marlin and shot. The deer ran like I missed I shot again as he ran pass my tree. He ran on to the top of the hill about 75yds and stopped to look at me. I fired again and he dropped. All three shots hit and were killing shots. I gutted him and he drug me down the snowy hillside. We went through the knee deep creek. I guess it was cold but I didnt notice. 165lbs field dressed. This was my biggest deer but most memorable is the fact that my dad, grandpa and uncle shot deer the same morning. My brother was left out. HaHa A little brotherly competition and I won. Dream hunt? Any and all but probably the once in a lifetime elk hunt. Ive put in for it every year since 1984.[/b]

Welcome to the forum, and great story thanks!

Top Bottom