Where Are You From & What Kind Of Dog Do You Have?

pugsley

Reaction score
My name is pugsley and I am the new guy on the block here. I don't currently own a bird dog but am shopping. (See post down the page)

I live in NW IA. We have pheasants up to our ears here. I have had several bird dogs in the past and am looking forward to my next dog!

MexHunter

Reaction score
I grew up in San Diego and have hunted in SoCal for over 40 years. I have hunted in Baja California for over 25 years, not counting sneaking in with my single shot 20 Ga. as a young teenager. In Mexico, we hunt quail, pheasant, dove & waterfowl. I hunt in Mexico with a Browning Citori and a Remington 1170.

We have five Labs: Abe, Pete, Tucker, Mac & Ollie. Four are black and Mac is yellow. All of them are sired by Field Champions. Tucker and Ollie are sired by National Amateur Field Champions. We run hunt tests and minor stakes field trials with my retrievers as well as hunting them. We hope to run major stakes trials with our 15 month old in the future. He will start running Derby with a professional trainer next month. My wife also works with the dogs and has earned many ribbons. I am president of the San Diego Hunting Retriever Club and serve on the board of the San Diego Retriever & Field Trial Club. I judge both NAHRA and AKC hunt tests.

My wife, Florence Sloane, has the time and is very active on sporting dog and hunting issues. She is a San Diego County Fish & Wildlife Commissioner, a member of the Calif. Taucher Commission, vice president of the San Diego County Wildlife Commission, head of the San Diego Sporting Dog Council and was very active the recent Pittman-Robertson controversy. We are currently actively working on getting access for training & hunting on properties owned by the city, county, state and federal governments within the county. Rancho Jamul is one of our partial victories and we are working on the new San Diego National Wildlife Refuge in spite of Peta protests at a nearby Sheryl Crow concert last year.

Russ

fishingsetx

Reaction score
Im a Texan born and raised. I have two labs, the male is chocolate, and the female is Yellow. My wife named them Dakota and Carolina. The male weighs about 125 lbs. and the female weighs about 70lbs. I cant seem to get any weight on her (she is a HANDFULL). Dakota is not very fond of water, but I think Carolina is part fish and drinks through her nose. She is the first dog I've ever had that would retrieve a ball that was under 3 ft. of water!!!

raven

Reaction score
Hi,
I am from the Green moutains of Vermont I have a ! year old Brittanny Name Raven he's the first Hunting dog I've owned and seems to be a natural making it easy on me to train

bbarnett51

Reaction score
I am from Jonesboro, Arkansas and I have a Boykin Spaniel named Remy. He is just a pup so hopefully he will follow in his dads footsteps and become an amazing duck dog!!!!!!!!!

birdhunter88

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this site and I am from Iowa. I have 2 GSP Grif and Jeter that I have trained myself. They both have been hunting since they were 6 months old. Grif is now 7 years old and Jeter is 4. Grif is a solid liver short hair and Jeter is a white with liver spots. Both dogs have been trained to hunt the field. They both live in the house and I pity the fool that would ever try to come in the house without anyone here. I don't think they would make it out in one piece. Grif absolutely hates cats, racoons and lap dogs. I think it must run in his family tree. I hunted behind his grandpa and Bud once grabbed a cat in a field and wouldn't let go of the cat until we got back to the truck. Bud also grabbed a skunk right in front of me and decided he was going to share the wealth of his find with everyone around. He shook the skunk so hard and high in the air that I think he broke the skunks neck but not before he sprayed the entire area. Grif and Jeter are absolute hunting machines. Jeter tends to leave other creatures alone in the field but Grif has alittle bit of his grandpa in him. If there is a raccoon around and can consider it dead. I hunt primarely pheasants here in Iowa and I am able to hunt alot. I work 4 days on and 3 days off and always take vacation during pheasant season. Last year I shot 50 pheasants myself with well over 100 birds taken over the dogs. Alot of the time I don't even bother shooting the birds as I am taking pictures with the digital camera and usually let someone else do the shooting. I like to play clean up as I perfer to take a longer shot than most. Never have I had a problem with the dogs and water or retreiving. They are water nuts and retreiving fools. I once was able to go to Texas on a quail hunt when Grif was 2 years old and I had the time of my life. We have a "few" quail here in Iowa but not a whole lot. Hunting pheasants is ok but I would much rather hunt quail. More action and alot more beautiful dog work to admire. Cuz you know its more than the shooting when it comes down to it. It really is all about watching the beauty of the dogs in motion. I like to refer to watching hunting dogs as "Artistic Motion".
The older I get the colder the winters seem to feel here in Iowa. Even though the last couple of years our winters actually have been pretty mild to say the least. I am just getting to the point of I hate the cold air. I don't mind the snow but you can keep the cold ! I have been trying to talk the wife into moving some where south and giving up the pheasant grounds of Iowa to the younger generation. But told her I have to be around where I can quail and turkey hunt. She is considering moving and likes the idea too. Right now we are considering Northern Arizona and New Mexico. I like the idea of Western Oklahoma and Northern Texas too. But alot of things have to be taken into consideration before we can move. The availability of hunting ground, jobs, living conditions, hunting regulations, ect ect ect.... well hopefully I haven't bored you all with my ramblings but I hope to visit this site more often as it seems that there is a great group of people here.

bird

Attachments

Idaho Ron

Reaction score
Hi guys! I am Idaho Ron, I live is southern Idaho. I have a Springer spaniel named Buzz that is a AKC master hunter. I also have a Shorthair that is 15 months old. She is a very good pointing dog. I hunt around 70 days per year mostly for upland birds, mule deer and elk. I shoot around 150 birds per year. This year I got 168 which was my best year. I am looking forward to hanging around here. Ron

Black Labs

Reaction score
Hey all, I live in Iowa and hunt pheasants, quail, and ducks with my black lab. Her name is Jasper and she is gonna be six in April....she started hunting at 6 months old and has never looked back. Her parents weren't of known pointing stock, but Jasper is a pointer and quarters an upland field with the best of shorthairs....she starting doing water retrieves at 14 weeks and I now have a heck of a time keeping out of the water...like that is a bad thing....except when I am breaking ice to put out the deeks....she still hasn't learned that the longer she stays in the boat, the warmer she will stay...lol....here is a pic of her during an early season duck hunt in Iowa...

Labs

Attachments

birdhunter88

Reaction score
Hey Shawn,

Glad to see you here on the site...

Everyone,

I have had the pleasure to hunt with Black Labs and will tell you that his dog Jasper is the best damn Lab that I have ever hunted with when it comes to upland birds.... I have hunted with many other people and all kinds of dogs and have always been skeptical of labs and pheasants cuz I just have never seen a lab that really would want to leave their handlers side in the field when it comes to pheasants. But I will tell you what this girl knows her stuff and is all business when it comes to hunting birds. Welcome aboard Shawn.

Al

Here is Jasper and Shawn on a Early Season Goose Hunt in Iowa...

Attachments

mstrcamo

Reaction score
My name is Matt and I am from Louisiana.
I have two dogs. Casey is my 8yr old golden ret. (pic below) and Boudreaux (Pic as icon) is my 1yr old Brittany. I trained them both myself through word of mouth, reading, and trial & error in the field. Casey is a great duck dog. Boudreaux is progressively learning to quail hunt. He's not a seasoned vet yet but he's getting there. I enjoy both of my dogs.
[email protected]

Attachments

dwales22

Reaction score
My name is Dustin and I own a golden retriever. He is seven weeks old. He is almost pure white with a little gold tent running down his back. I have been training him around the house just simple things like, retrieving balls, teaching him to sit and other commands for hunting. I live in Lemoore, CA. That is the central part of the Sequoia Valley just thirty minutes south from Fresno, CA. I have not been around this area that long. I am looking for a good place that is close to train my dog myself like a river or a lake so I can train him to retrieve in the water. If anybody has any ideas on this question please tell me. Thanks

Hmebuildr

Reaction score
My name is Gary from Southern NH and I have a 6 month old Wirehaired Pointing Griffon male named Gizmo.

grantc

Reaction score
I'm Grant, and I have two GSP's, Bell and Carl.

We hunt mostly in GA for quail. Last year was my first year quail hunting. I've started several hunting sites like This Site

Take care everyone!

krazij9

Reaction score
I live in the Antelope Valley area of Southern California and handle a wonderful 14 month old English Springer Spaniel. She's 1 leg away from her JH title and I'm really looking forward to field trialing her next year.

She's my hunting partner and best friend ;)

If anyone who lives in Southern California is interested in hunting with us drop me an email.

pbrdog

Reaction score
I have a 5-1/2 month old Weimaraner named Luke. This will be his first year out looking for quail and chukar. He's green, but shows very good potential.

Attachments

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
That's a very fine looking "Gray Ghost" I sure hope he works out in the field for you. You don't see many folks working these dogs in the field, as well as vizslas, that's a sort of a distinction, in my opinion. The fields are saturated with GSP's, Britts, Labs which are all fine breeds, but its nice to drive something other than Ford, Chevy and Chrysler, if you get my drift! I do believe in driving American, but none of these breeds originated in America so patriotism can only run so deep!
I know your intentions are not to bother with breeding, but that boy is handsome enough that someone will approach you one day regarding it, he's a fine looking boy!

sstec

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my Deutsch Drahthaar,in his favorite pose, Whiskers he is now 8 years and loves pheasant, chukar and quail hunting as well as retrieving ducks.
Stec

Attachments

Ringneck

Reaction score
My name is John and I live in Northern California. I hunt pheasants, quail, doves, chukars and occasionally waterfowl with Zeke, my 3-year-old yellow lab.
Zeke is very lean and fast for a Lab and does not like to sit in one place when I have a gun in my hands, so he much prefers upland to waterfowl. I'm a novice retriever trainer and I'm continually trying to develop new skills in him because I've been told by experienced lab people that, due to his physique and attitude, he has unlimited potential. However, the main thing for us is the enjoyment we get out of each other's company while we're in the field.

26lb_Tom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first day at this forum, looks like a good one so far. I don't currently have a dog but I am investigating my options right now. I am probably 6 months to a year out for getting a dog. I always thought I was a lab man, but having moved to AZ and getting the bug for quail hunting I think I am going to go with a Drahthaar. I would like to get a versatile breed because I have two girls that I would like to take quail hunting and I think hunting behind a pointing dog would present better shots for the girls. Also I am a very avid waterfowler, so a retrieving dog is a must.

Sstec,

I do have a few questions about the DD though, so would you mind if I pm'ed you and maybe even get together with you to see your dog work? I put out some feelers on another forum for some help finding info but nobody there knew anyone from the Gand Canyon NAVHDA chapter or anyone with a DD or GSP.

I look forward to reading and learning here, even if I don't post much.

26lb_Tom

dwales22

Reaction score
Originally posted by spectr17@May 25 2003, 09:48 PM
How about some introductions?

Where are you from & what kind of dog do you have?

What is your dog's name and how old is he/she?

How long have you had your dog and what kind of training if any has your dog had?
My name is Dustin and I am from Lemoore, California. I have a eight month golden labrador. I have done the basic training with me so far and I looking to start him on water training for duck hunting. I am trying to find a good place in the San Janquin Valley to take him and start training him. Like lakes or rivers. I just moved to this area about two years ago and I just got buddy my dog and I would like to get some information if you or some other guys could help me out.

Top Bottom