Where Are You From & What Kind Of Dog Do You Have?

bearboy

Reaction score
Originally posted by birdhunter88@Feb 17 2004, 03:50 PM
Hey Shawn,

Glad to see you here on the site...

Everyone,

I have had the pleasure to hunt with Black Labs and will tell you that his dog Jasper is the best damn Lab that I have ever hunted with when it comes to upland birds.... I have hunted with many other people and all kinds of dogs and have always been skeptical of labs and pheasants cuz I just have never seen a lab that really would want to leave their handlers side in the field when it comes to pheasants. But I will tell you what this girl knows her stuff and is all business when it comes to hunting birds. Welcome aboard Shawn.

Al

Here is Jasper and Shawn on a Early Season Goose Hunt in Iowa...
She looks very similar to my lab. She looks like she must be Chocolate factored black. Is there choc background in her lineage. Her eyes sure look yellow.

Brent

bearboy

Reaction score
I too am new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading everyones posts and hope to gain a lot of insight from you guys/gals.

I have a 4 year old "I wanna be a Chocolate" All of her blood lines have been chocolate however she is black with yellow eyes and pink inside of her mouth( a true black has dark eyes and dark gums) In the summer she gets strong reddish highlites along her back and head.

She comes from excellent feild trial and hunting stock at Bower Lake Kennels in Southern Manitoba. I have done most of the training myself with tips from freinds who are in our retreiver club. She is my first bird dog and has really done me proud. A good dog can make any handler look good. We gained our Junior Hunt title at only 14 months, but havn"t got any legs in senior yet- not b/c of the dog, b/c we run a summer concession business and don't have the opportuntiy to attend the events. She handles well out to 150 yards, is an excellent marker out to 300 yards and she is very confident on multiple marks, quarters well and the other day locked up on point, I thought it was a dummy my son had planted for an upland test so I told her to "fetch it up" after a bit of russling around she came back with a live Hungarion Partrige. I held the bird for a couple of minutes then released it unharmed.

She has sure made hunting a lot more enjoyable I now hunt around water. You learn quickly that walking into a slough in Saskatchewan in October wearing your gotch is not a fun thing and that you don't want to do that again!!!!

She is a great natured dog and will retreive until you can't throw anymore. In the winter she will pull the kids on the sled for hours as long as she can retreive. how ironic is that a dog sled in Sask Canada .

looch

Reaction score
Hi.

I live in the St-Lawrence Valley just south of Montreal with my 2 GSP's Willy and Rook. Willy just turned 10 and Rook is 4. Both are solid liver except for small patches on the chest and paws.

I guess I was about 16. Hunting ol' ruff up in the Laurentian hills. The leaves hadn't fallen and the forest was absolutely glowing with the amber and red of the foilage. It was almost too bright. I'd been in the woods for about an hour when I hear shots being fired behind me - on ground that I had just covered. I sat down on a log and waited for the party to catch up. 4 hunters and what I now know was a Brittany walked by with 3 birds in the bag. Me - none. That's when I decided that I would have a dog. It wasn't until much later, though, that I could follow through on that decision.

I didn't really decide on the GSP as much as I decided on a breeder. I am very lucky to live close to who was once one of the top breeders in North America. I visited his kennel a few times and researched the breed and had him pick me out a "soft-dominant" puppy. The rest, as they say, is history.

Unfortunately, the only consistent source of game in the area is the annual woodcock migration which only lasts about 3 weeks. I therefore supplement their avian intake with raised/planted bobwhite.

MexHunter

Reaction score
Originally posted by dwales22+Aug 9 2004, 06:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dwales22 @ Aug 9 2004, 06:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-spectr17
@May 25 2003, 09:48 PM
How about some introductions? 

Where are you from & what kind of dog do you have?

What is your dog's name and how old is he/she?

How long have you had your dog and what kind of training if any has your dog had?
My name is Dustin and I am from Lemoore, California. I have a eight month golden labrador. I have done the basic training with me so far and I looking to start him on water training for duck hunting. I am trying to find a good place in the San Janquin Valley to take him and start training him. Like lakes or rivers. I just moved to this area about two years ago and I just got buddy my dog and I would like to get some information if you or some other guys could help me out. [/b]
Dustin,

I would recommend joining the San Joaquin Retriever Club. They are hosting a NAHRA hunt test on 8/28 & 8/29 at the Los Banos Wildlife Refuge. For more information, contact Larry Brown at 209-204-1830.

Russ

Crockett

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum. My name is David. I don't have any experience -- to speak of -- in training hunting dogs. However, I owned a German Shorthaired Pointer about 35 years ago and hunted with her.

But I may be able to be of some help on this part of the forum because I'm a retired Professional Dog Handler and now judge dogs for the American Kennel Club.

As a Professional Dog Handler -- I showed dogs for clients in conformation shows most of my adult life. I'm now 58 years old. I've shown many breeds of dogs including Pointers, Retrievers, Setters and scent and sight Hounds. Towards the end of my carrier I specialized in Shetland Sheepdogs. I've finished (made them a AKC Champion) hundreds of dogs and have also had multiple Best in Shows on several breeds. Over the past 15 years my wife and myself have been either the top breeder of Shelties (in the USA) each year or among the top. We currently breed and raise Shelties.

I don't know training of hunting dogs but because of my profession I do know dog behavior and genetics. So, I may be able to help with questions along those lines.

On most forums I use the screen name of Crockett (my brother used to call me that when I was young.

Crockett

APRock

Reaction score
From N.W. Iowa. Have a 15 month old Small Munsterlander named Tucker that just scored a 107 Prize II in the NAVHDA Natural Abiltiy Test. Looking forward to more intense training and fun this pheasant/partridge season. Couple more weeks and we will be out there for those. Already a good rabbit dog, rivals a beagle almost in that arena, as well as retrieving downed tree rats. Oh, I can't take him fishing. He swims around, off the shore or around the boat, fouling your lines and goes nuts trying to catch and eat any fish you get hooked!

Here he is taking a breather after some retrieving drills out in the field.

Attachments

RCNDRT

Reaction score
My wife and I have 3 V's. Oakley a 4 year old wedding present and our home officer. Lucas, 2 year old, 9th in the nation in field trial points an avid runner and compainion. Tia, 6 months and the same breeding as Lucas. Hope to have her running in the December field trial in Millwaukee. Winnie, my wifes dog, a 7 month old black and white Great Dane. Robert Tomzack runs my dogs in field trials and I hunt them along with the guys I work with at the Fire Department. They seem to have the best disposition in the field and at home of any sporting dogs I have been around. Most of my hunting partners run labs and I can't adapt to them telling their dogs to stay in close when my V's run big and will hold point until I release them. Pheasant opener is this weekend in WI so my bowhunting will suffer.

GaDeerGuy

Reaction score
I am from Georgia and have a Chocalate Lab. Sasha by name and 5 mos. old. I am currently in the process of training her myself to find and retreive upland game. This is my first time doing this and it is coming along great. She is performing good for a first time trainer.

BKS

Reaction score
I am from Sacramento Ca. I have a 2yr old GSP named spice that I recently bought from Carl Porter looking forward to hunting her this season......

alanmac

Reaction score
I have a 5 month old Weimaraner. His name is Alex, and we live in Colorado Springs. Right now I'm teaching him to retrieve, but hopefully soon I'll find a nice farm with bush to take him to and put him on some birds!

< < < That's him in the picture.

deemteam

Reaction score
My current gun dog is a yellow lab named Bear.....Bear because he weighs in at 95lbs......with no body fat, just a huge lab......in fact too large when trying to squeeze into a small blind. He's well suited for waterfowl and pheasant but quail and chukar sometimes require longer, harder hunting than his large frame is meant for....he won't ever quit but he sure does slow down......fortunately I'm getting older and slower is my preferred speed.

Bear is 2 years old and out of the Four Paws Kennel http://www.fourpawskennel.com/ Great dogs and a great breeder, if you want a top-of-the-line lab give Chuck a call.

APRock

Reaction score
This is my bird hunting buddy, 1 1/2 year old Small Munsterlander Pointer, "Gosch's Foggy Morning Hunt", otherwise know as Tucker.

Takin' a breather during training

On the hunt

Got one pinned

Nice mornings results

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
Those are two beautiful yeller dogs guys! Here's a shot of the mother of Jager! "Sadie"
wrong photo, this is Rio" the sire of "Jager"

Attachments

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
I've been owning and hunting Vizslas now for twenty-five years, they've done all I could ever want out of a hunting dog. Needless to say, they're my favorite, but I've also hunted with GSP's and Britts owned by some friends, and they're mighty fine dogs too!
I am a dog lover to begin with, so it doesn't take much to satisfy my likings! I wish I had the wherewithall to own and experience every hunting breed there is, bird dog hunting is the GREATEST!
Here's a shot of my current Vizsla, "Sadie" the mother of Jager, Scooby, Moose and Rusty, pups that four hunters from Jesse's now own and I'm proud to say, are hunting!

Attachments

pbrdog

Reaction score

Luke last month at Inyo Kern/ Lone Pine, can't remember which one the pic was taken at now.

BigDaddyB

Reaction score
the photo of Sadie didn't post, so here goes again, I just love my computer, if I didn't like this hunting site so much, I swear I'd chuck this thing!

Attachments

Raully

Reaction score
This is Cody a five month old GSP. This picture is his first real quail hunt at carrizo plains. If everything goes as planned he will start his training at Rajun Kennels in a week or two.

Attachments

HRKPLABS

Suspended Account
Reaction score
This is my pointing Lab Tig. He was the first Pl I bought. I've owned a total of 4 and currently have three.
Amazing dogs!

Dampland

Reaction score
He's not a hunting dog, but "Fury" is my favorite greyhound. He won me my first ever Stakes trophy, back in December of 2003. He is currently racing in Florida.

Attachments

Top Bottom