• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Where Are You From & What Kind of Handgun?

hankpac

I live in Oregon and Texas. I learned from my dad, and later from the Army. Ive got too many HG to list here, but use the contender a lot on everything from ground Squirrels in Oregon, to Deer in Texas. would love to drop an Elk with a 444 or some such barrel from the Contender. Shot a Javelina with a 55 Gr soft point .223 Hit it in the shoulder, and it dropped like a toilet seat. The cool part was I shot it from the passenger seat of my wifes Crown Vic (I am disabled, so have a permit to shoot from the vehicle). I rested on the mirror, and shot from about 50 yards. We where on the dirt road to my friend's ranch. Weighed about 55 lbs, ticks and all. We feed them to the hunting dogs at the ranch.
I sometimes use my wifes Ruger MKII on closer Ground Squirrels. These rats are everywhere. Ranchers will buy your ammo!
Best recent memory was hitting two Prairie Dogs, with one .223 from the contender, using a VMax 55 gr. Blew up one, and a piece of shrapnel killed the one laying right next to it. Walked on water all that day.

Howdy all. I live up in the extreme northeastern corner of South Dakota (5 miles from the North Dakota border and 8 miles from the Minnesota border).

My first ever handgun was an old Liberty Mustang Single Action Revolver when I was old enough to own a Handgun. I am 51 years old and grew up watching westerns on TV. I have always been fascinated with Handguns.

In 1982 I sold every rifle I owned and took up Hunting with Handguns. It has not been easy at times, but it has sure been entertaining. In the years since there have been a few Rifles that have graced my door, but I always return to my first love (other than my wife and family), Handguns.

I mostly hunt Varmints, Coyotes and Whitetail Deer. Hopefully next year I will get drawn for a Minnesota Black Bear License and get to try my hand at Handgunning a Bruin.

As for my favorite Handguns, there are a couple.

5 1/2" Bull Barrel Ruger Stainless-Steel MKII. It has had some aftermarket accessories added to it, and my feeling is those accessories just made a good handgun better.

5" Smith & Wesson Second Generation Model 645 in .45 ACP. I carry this Handgun daily, and to be quite honest about it I feel undressed without it. In addition it is always with me while hunting also, and most of the time while hunting it carries Remington +P JHP Ammo.

Then there are the Contenders. I have 2 Stainless Steel Frames with 2 barrels currently (and another one on the way, hopefully next week).

Barrel #1 is a Stainless Steel Match Grade Super 14 .22 LR. This one wears a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Fine Plex - PA Handgun Scope with Target Turrets.

Barrel #2 is a Super 14 .30-30 Ackley Improved. This one started out life as a Blued Super 14 .30 Herrett with the old style rifling (6 Land & Groove, 1 in 14" Twist) that I had rechambered by SSK Industries. In addition it has since been Metaloy Plated with their Satin Finish Hard Chrome to match the Stainless Steel Contender Frame. This barrel wears a 2x7x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope.

Barrel #3 (on the way) is a Custom On Target Technologies Stainless Steel 14" 6mm T/CU. I have a 3x12x32mm Burris LER Handgun Scope sitting here waiting for the barrel to arrive.

In addition I also have a 4" Smith & Wesson Model 19. This is an old Pinned & Recessed version that is Nickel Plated (from the Factory). Unfortunately I do not shoot this Handgun nearly as much as I should, and hopefully will remedy this in the future.

Who taught me to shoot Handguns ? Well other than my older brother, probably the best instruction came from the South Dakota Law Enforcement Training Center.

I have also been involved in Target Shooting with Handguns at a local indoor shooting range since 1990. Mainly this has been Bullseye Shooting, but in recent years has evolved into Falling Plate Shooting, Combat Style Shooting and Rimfire Bench Rest Shooting (of which I use a Contender Handgun instead of a Rifle).

Currently I do not own a long gun and really have no current plans to purchase one either. The exception to this may be a Shotgun as since our Pheasant population is on the increase I have been getting the urge to hunt them again.

SD Handgunner

Drayton

I live in South Florida but am atransplant from Indiana. Unfortunatly, I was too stupid a kid to hunt when I lived in the land of corn-fed whitetails. But I love to hunt down in Florida.

Love to hunt whitetail deer and wild hogs.

I only shoot for fun and to sharpen up for hunting season at outdoor and indoor ranges. Started shooting when my dad bought me a Ted Williams 22 rifle when I was 12 yrs old but learned about guns mostly from my grandfather. He was the only outdoorsmen in the family.

Just got my 1st hunting handgun!!!
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter 44mag!!!

I've had a few handguns- Taurus PT-99 9mm (sure wish I still had that one)
Interarms FireStar 9mm that was stolen...good riddens to that jam-prown little gun.
Cheap but reliable Rosi 38 spl.

My new 44mag is now my favorite...cause I plan on filling the freezer with plenty of deer and hog.

My dream hunt would have to take a monster deer home from Canada but I'm happy to hunt the swamps of Florida.

almtnman

Originally posted by spectr17@May 26 2003, 03:09 PM
How about some short introductions?

Where are you from?

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most or are you a target shooter?
I'm from St. Clair county, Alabama.

I have been a deer hunter for something in the range of 40 years or more.

I have a good number of handguns and I can't decide which one I like the most. I usually carry a Ruger single six as my woods walking pistol and a Sig P-220 45acp as my concelaed carry pistol. My hunting pistol is a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag that carries a Burris 1X4 scope, action trigger and hammer springs, ported and trigger pull adjusted to about 1 lb pull and Pachmayr grips.

My favorite hunting rifle is an old Sako Finnbear Hunter 30-06 with Leopold 3.5X10Ao vari x III scope. I relaod everything that I shoot except the .22's.

almtnman

My name is Jason Im from Michigan,
I have been hunting for around 4-5 years now.
I am in the hiring process of a local police department
I own a Sig, P229 in S&W .40, and also a kimber .22
the .22 was my first handgun.
Don't have any memories of hunting with a handgun cuz iv never done
it.
look forword to the day i do hunt with a handgun.

deerhunter1

my name is brandon i am from alabama. i have been hunting for around 15 years i am in the process of trying a new twist on the deer around here. my first handgun was a ruger p90 45acp. really hating that i sold it
but just got my favorite handgun so far it is a ruger super redhawk chambered in 454 casull with a 9 1/2 in barrel. i am really anticipating gun season !

HpRifleWI

hello my name is Brian, im 17 and i am from wisconsin.

first handgun- SA 1911 GI WWII spec
no one has taught me to shoot pistols so I am just winging it right now and am not very good Im more of a long gun person.

I have the 1911 and a SA XD-40 tactical 5"(looking for a holster any suggestion)
I carried the 1911 while I was hunting this year but since it can't be concealed here I have to wear a belt over all my blaze orange. The guns are under my dads name cause I as you can tell am not old enough but I put up the money.

xphunter

My name is Ernie and I'm 44 years old. I don't own any centerfire rifles, so it is handguns all the way for me. As far as traditional handguns I shoot a 6' 586 Smith a couple of Glocks and a USP. Also used to hunt and shoot with FA 454 Casul. My favorite handguns are specialty handguns, especially XP-100's (hence xphunter as my user name). I hunt and compete with my SP's. Have done the international tactical rifleman's championship near Gillette WY with my xp in 6.5-284 and also shoot IBS 1000 matches in Pella, IA with my SP's. They have just started a handgun class this past year. I use my SP's to take everything from PD's to elk.
Ernie Bishop

15point

My name is Mike and I live in New London Ohio

I have been hunting for 35 years and I am self taught.

My favororite gun is a Smith and Wesson Compact 40.

I deer hunt with a Smith and Wesson 500.

I own 40 guns of all makes and sizes.

My Son and I hunt, deer (bow, shotgun and muzzleloader), rabbit, pheasent, yote and pop a few groud hogs.

I don't target shoot unless you consider cighting in target shooting.

My first pistol was a Smith and Wesson Model 19, nickle palted and I bought it at Reb's Gun Shop in CLovis New Mexico when I was in the Air Force.

I own 44's, 9's, 357's, 38's, shotguns, 243's, 22-250's sks, muzzleloaders, bows, 22's,

king.460

My name is Steve and I live in Alabama.

My primary handgun for hunting is an S&W .460, which I have killed several whitetails with.

My largest handgun kill was with a T/C Encore 7mm.08-- a 135" 9 pt. whitetail.

My dream handgun hunt, which will take place next, is in Pike County, Ill. (where I have bowhunted
for some time) for whitetails.

I also have an S&W 357 Mag 4" for personal protection, coyotes and up-close doe deer.

I do not own a rifle--I'm a hand-cannoneer all the way.

I do love to bowhunt, but handgunning is now #1.

LKN4HOG

I have put this introduction on several of the JHO pages, but here goes this one...

My name is Randy and I am in southern California in the town of San Bernardino.

My favorite game to hunt is either deer or pigs..it is a toss up. Actually do both at the same time. Just like bears, if opportunity knocks, let the hammer fall. I do not shoot competition, not good enough.

I taught myself to shoot handguns. My father was only a rifle or shotgun shooter.

My first pistol was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. Man was that a sweet gun. But, it was a backup gun. Now I only have a Contender. Do I love this gun...let me tell you how!

My favorite memory with my Contender was a one shot drop on a mule deer at 75 +/- yards with a .35 Rem barrel on at the time.java script:emoticon(':smiley_git_r_done:', 'smid_46')

My dream hunt would be in Alaska for bear with my Contender with a .44 Mag barrel pointed at them and let it BARK.

Thanks,
R

LKN4HOG

I have put this introduction on several of the JHO pages, but here goes this one...

My favorite game to hunt is either deer or pigs..it is a toss up. Actually do both at the same time. Just like bears, if opportunity knocks, let the hammer fall. I do not shoot competition, not good enough.

I taught myself to shoot handguns. My father was only a rifle or shotgun shooter.

My first pistol was a Ruger Blackhawk in .357. Man was that a sweet gun. But, it was a backup gun. Now I only have a Contender. Do I love this gun...let me tell you how!

My favorite memory with my Contender was a one shot drop on a mule deer at 75 +/- yards with a .35 Rem barrel on at the time.java script:emoticon(':smiley_git_r_done:', 'smid_46')

My dream hunt would be in Alaska for bear with my Contender with a .44 Mag barrel pointed at them and let it BARK.

Thanks,
R

LKN4HOG

My favorite memory with my Contender was a one shot drop on a mule deer at 75 +/- yards with a .35 Rem barrel on at the time. java script:emoticon.

Thanks,
R

scr83jp

I've had some handguns I wish I'd kept for example: a 1976 4" 357 Ruger SS Security Six,Gov't 45acp,S&W SS 4" Mod 66 and a PPK S 380 .

Valley Hunter

My name is Chris and I'm from Tulare, CA (Cow town).

I own a Glock .40 and .45
Ruger .40
S&W .38 Hammerless revolver

Mostly target practice and for personal protection

Would love to go on a pig hunt using my Glock .45

maxter

My name is Greg from Arizona. Use a Contender for hunting, Ruger old army for target and a S&W 14 for trail. First was a S&W .22 kit gun. Had a few magnums and never did get used to the blast. Want to buy a 45 colt mountain gun. Mostly hunt bunnys. WW2 vets taught me how to shoot. Mostly I plink the old army at targets for dollar reasons. Make sure I practice at least every two weeks. My dream hunt would be hunting the Sierra hare, blue grouse and desert mule deer.

Rex.

My name is Rex.
I live in Rialto CA.
I have a Ruger Mark III.

As of today I'm on my 4th cool down day for my Ruger SR9.

My favorite gun is my 12" custom 1958 B&C reproduction that I've converted to .45ACP and fit with a Weaver rail and dot optics.

It's some kind of crazy accurate.

I used to shoot competitively in The Cowboy Fast Draw Association. But found my self developing some really bad habits and dropped it and sold my gear after an injury to my hand.

I shoot target for now but am getting the hunting bug again and expect to find my self in the field with my 58 and MKIII soon. Where i hope to be taking varmint, pig and maybe even deer if i can get really close to humanely deploy a JHP from the 58. But a < 15 yard shot on a deer takes some serious creep'n skills.

My Dream gun?

Smith & Wesson 460 XVR. The new 500s are pretty cool too.

Last edited:

fossilman

Where are you from? I'm living in North Dakota,raised in Montana(best state in the Union)....

What kind of game do you like to hunt the most or are you a target shooter? I hunt whitetail,mule deer,pronghorn,coyote,rabbit,pheasant and turkeys ...........

do you shoot competition and if you do, where do you shoot? No..........

Who taught you how to shoot? myself and the US Army.........

What kind of handguns do you have? 357 Mag. 9mm buying a .22 in two days........

What was your 1st handgun? Its been long ago,but it was either a .22 or a 38 special.....

What is your favorite handgun? 357 mag..............

What is your favorite handgunning memory? don't have one........

What is your dream handgun trip or moment? my first whitetail buck with my 357 Mag.....Soon I hope.

Top Bottom