• We will be migrating the forum to new hosting soon. When that is ready to go, the forums will be turned off to new posting until we arrive at the new server. If all goes well, we should be up and running at the new server within 24 hours, usually less. The new DNS information can take a while to propagate across the various DNS centers but you'll know when tou are accessing the new version because you'll see a new notice.

Where Are You From & Where Do Hunt Whitetails?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
How about some introductions?

Where are you from & where do you hunt whitetails?

Do you use a bow or firearm? What kind?

Who taught you to hunt whitetails and when was your 1st whitetail hunt?

Are you a still hunter or a stand hunter?

What is your dream whitetail hunt?

I grew up in Missouri chasing whitetails with my Dad. Our first year out was 1965. I carried the 12 ga. slugs for his double barrel shotgun. I live in SoCal but go back every year to bowhunt and rifle hunt deer in Missouri.

My bow right now is a PSE Coyote recurve and my rifle I like is a Win .300 Winmag.

I still hunt mostly but will set in a stand if I think it's a good setup.

My dreamhunt would be an Iowa or Saskatchewan hunt in deep snow, 20 below.
A real death march.

MIBowhunter

Reaction score
From Michigan,

I hunt whiteails in MI,SC and GA with Bow, Rifle and ML. Dream hunt would be going up to Canada and getting one of those 300 lb brutes.

I learned from my Dad and are stand hunters.

MIB

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I am from Tennessee! I grew up hunting whitetails here with my dad and 4 older brothers. I have been hunting whitetails for 27 years now (since I was 10). I hunt in TN and KY and every now and then I get lucky enough to go to IL. I hunt mainly with bows but sometimes I'll break out the old smokepole. I have a selfmade longbow and a High country ultimate extreme compound bow (which is 7 years old) and a knight 50. cal. muzzleloader. I hunt from high in the trees and very seldom still hunt. And my dream hunt would be to go to Canada and go after the big boys.

Mailman29680

Reaction score
I grew up in SW PA.
I hunted deer in PA till I was 20 then added WV and MD.
Low limits in the north made me hunt several states.

I moved to SC two years ago and hunt SC and GA now.

I use the bow,rifle and this year the blackpowder.

Father taught me to deer hunt.

Stand hunter

Dream hunt is taking a respectable buck off of public land anywhere

Jim Thompson

Reaction score
I spen my time in GA or JAWGA as we like to call it. Hunt in far western Heard County on the Alabama line on 2 tracts of land. One is 750 acres and is actually on the line (later November rut) and one is in SE Heard which gives me an earlier rut.

Bow is a Hoyt Magnatec and my preferred rifle is a Rem 700 .270.

I stand hunt about 90% of the time, although as the year goes on, I catch myself slipping through the pines more often.

Taught myself to hunt. Had no father to speak of. Have been getting out of bed before daylight since I was about 10. Would grab the BB gun and squirrel hunt back then. Have had a few folks over the years who gave me opportunity to hunt, but for the most part I have always been a loner.

Canadian Whitetails always come to mind when I think dream hunt.

#1 priority for me while in the "woods" would be honor, ethics and doing the right thing.

Jim

P. Beyer

Reaction score
I hunt in these hills & farmland of Western Kentucky, every oncein a while I scoot down to TN to chase em'....

I guess my "dream" Whitetail hunt would be to either bowhunt the big woods of Canada or the Hill country of
Texas!

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I was born and raised in Northwest Ohio. I started deer hunting with a bow as a young lad in '67. In addition to hunting in my backyard, I hunt mostly in Southeast Ohio and have hunted in Pa, Mi and MT. I use an outdated 1978 Jennings Expert Hunter when I bowhunt, with Easton 2219 and 4 blade Rocky Mountain Supremes. Maybe an update is in order here, but it still does the job. I stopped using my 870 with shotgun slugs when I discovered blackpowder in the early '80s. Other than my bow, my weapon of choice is a handmade 45 cal fullstock flintlock. I'll occasionally use a Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag in Ohio, or Rem. 700 30-06 when in Montana, but out there elk is the primary target.
Stand hunting is my main focus, but slipping through the woods with the flinter is fun, too.
Everything I've learned has been through reading and wearing out boot leather.
My dream hunt would be anywhere that has lots of quality deer. Ohio's got some big bruisers, but it would be nice to sample other areas of the country as well.

Little Rhody

Reaction score
I live in Rhode Island
I hunt in R.I. , And Maine district #23
Bow(browning) firearm, (remington 12gauge slug barrel)
Still and stand hunt
dream hunt , well I guess my first deer kill

ruphamt

Reaction score
I'm from Ma. I hunt bow, rifle and bp. My dad wasn't a hunter but he taught me safety the hunting I learned on my own. My dream hunt would be the whole season up in Maine bow to black powder.

Kahuna

Reaction score
Im down here in FL. Brother taught me to hunt 3 years ago...of course, he was new at it too, so I learn most of it all by reading, scouting, and JHP of course! I hunt with bow and my .50 ML. 95% Im up in a stand. But walking is good to keep the blood flowing on those long mornings.

goatman

Reaction score
I'm from west central IL. Started packing a 16 ga. double barrel in 1967. Was shooting a 1100 20ga. with rifled barrel but prefer the ole smokepole anymore. Shoot a Hoyt bow with 2-blade fixed broadhead. Still hunting is prefered but not an option here anymore. Dream hunt would probably be Canada with maybe some daytime movement. Good luck to all.

TomBow

Reaction score
Hey dere guys!
I'm originally from Wisconsin, spent my 10-18 age years in Iowa where I started hunting, have fished since before I was born and hunted since I was 14 (after the Hunter's safety course). I live in the Twin Cities, Minn-ee-soa-da and there's a constant battle going on in me between the deer hunting and turkey hunting! Been bowhunting for about 12 years and hunt the metro-area here alot. Almost made it to CO for elk this year (yipes, $480 for a tag) and Iowa ($300), but financials put it on the backburner. Can't get enough tasty venison.
I shoot a Darton Yukon, Cabela's 55/70 Stalker Extreme carbons and NAP Thunderheads, but may switch to G5's Montecs this year.

Best of Luck to all!

hunterteen

Reaction score
i'm from nc, i rifle and bow hunt. I got my first two deer when i was 10. i'm 13 nowand goin to va for the fist time va hunt. i have some pansy bow, not sure if it's leagle or not
, and a 7mm-08. I stand hunt.

ABE

Reaction score
I grew up in Jacksonville FL. I did most of my hunting when i was younger in Nassau management area in Florida. I killed my 1st deer with a bow in Forsyth, GA when i was 14. I also did some hunting in Gifford, SC. My rifle of choice is my winchester featherweight in 280 rem. I have used several bows over the years, but my luckiest bow was my jennings uniforce. I killed all of my archery bucks with it.
I now live in central Ohio. I will be breaking in my new hoyt havoctec on some deer this year. If i still have a tag come gun season i usually use my muzzleloader. I also sneek down to Morgantown WV during their gun season to give the ole 280 a workout. The deer down there aren't very big but god there is a ton of them. I usually take the 1st week of november off to bowhunt around here with a couple of my buddies from Florida.
I like to hunt out of a tree although i have hunted from the ground where a treestand just wasnt possible.

Oh Yeah and

boartuff

Reaction score
I'm from mid-MO and love to still hunt or from a stand.Still hunting has gotten me most of my deer lately.
I use a muzzleloader(Remington),handgun(Smith 357 or T/C Encore 7mm-08),or bow(Hoyt).
My father and Grandads taught me to hunt.Most of the time in our back yard or up in Northern MO,that's where the biggins are at.
Oh,and my dream hunt would be in S.Texas or Canada.

BT

HeavyChevy

Reaction score
Im from Michigan I hunt in michigan with rifle shotgun muzzel loader and bow.and black powder pistol

hogwild

Reaction score
I'm from North Dallas (Tx) and hunt in Buffalo, Tx. I hunt whitetail mainly and hunt with my Dad, brother and brother-in-law...and, my newest partner starting this year, my 8 year old son!!! (will be hunting with me until he is 12). I use several rifles, but mainly 30-30 savage bolt action; also, 6.5-55, 30-.06 (760 game master pump). My dream whitetail hunt would be on the Milk River. I hunt from box stands but often get out a still hunt when things are slow.

douglas_e

Reaction score
seem to go where the Army takes me... Right now I have been hunting GA, NC, OH, and TX.

As for weapon of choice I would have to say any season works. Bow (PSE), gun (Rem 870 Exp.), rifle (Win 94 30-30), smoke pole (T/C .50 cal percussion or in-line). Same with tree or ground, I really can't make up my mind...

As far as who taught me to hunt I would say Dad and both Granddads. It seemed if there was some hunting season in we were all there hunting.

Now my daughter is 4 (almost 5) and it her turn to find out, my son is only 2 months and the wife says it is still a little early for him to go...

Top Bottom