Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Antelope?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
How about some introductions?

Where are you from & where do you hunt antelope or oryx?

When did you start hunting antelope and who taught you to hunt?

Do you use a firearm or bow? What kind?

What is your dream antelope hunt?

I've been putting in for CA, AZ and UT tags but no luck so far. I'm going to break down and get an easier to get WY tag here soon I think.

I would use my PSE Coyote recurve or .300 Winmag.

My dreamhunt would be in AZ or WY for a big buck.

Grail

I'm from Peoria, AZ and I apply for tags in AZ, NM, UT, CO, OR, and WY. Soon to be more.

I killed my first antelope when I was 13 and my dad taught me how to hunt.

I use a rifle, muzzleloader, or bow. Anything I can get a tag for.

My dream antelope hunt would be an AZ rifle tag, hands down.

COHunter

I live in Colorado, and will be hunting antelope in GMU 86 here in CO this year.
Someday I would like to go up to Wyoming and give the speed goat hunting up there a try

Rangerlab

I live in central MN. This is my first year applying for an antelope tag(I will be hunting mule deer in central Montana this year, and thought I would try to get an antelope tag as well). I have wanted to hunt goats for along time, but this is the first year that I have had the chance to. I really hope I draw a tag.

As far as a dream hunt is concerned, since I have never hunted antelope before, I just want to go somewhere where I can see alot of animals, and hopefully get a chance at a good buck.

The rifle I will be using is a Rem 700 LSS in 7mm Rem Mag. The 160 gr Noslers should get the job done.

Kelcher

I am from Eastern Iowa and will be trying to tag a decent antelope in Wyoming with my bow. I went out there last year and saw a lot of smaller bucks, but didn't connect. Hopefully we will be more succesful this year.

az4life

Well, I just got my first antelope in Wyoming last week! I live in Metro Phx, AZ and combined a family reunion with the hunt. My lope was not a trophy, but he was the only buck in a heard of 25. 3 other relatives from Michigan met us there and we all got our lopes. I shot a 300 win mag with a 3-9x50 Leupold VXII. My brother in law who hosted us, got his also, so we got 5 altogether.

I have read a lot about the lopes and they are pretty spooky after thye get shot at. Their vision is really as good as I have heard. Something like an 8 power binocular built in to their eyes. Like binos, they do seem to be less clear when the light is low.!

I Usually hunt Coues whitetail in AZ but have had lots of problems over the last 4-5 years. The problems all seem to boil down to a lousy Tasco Scope. Gotta say a good scope makes ALL the Difference in the world. My scope was soooo bright that my Brother in law used it AFTER he could not see some antelope in his Binoculars at dusk!

Fun hunt, but them lopes really smell bad!

Would do it again!

Crockett

I live in Oregon and hunt Antelope (when I draw) in south-eastern Oregon where I hunt Mule Deer.

I hunt with a custom rifle. It's a .257 Ackley Improved - Pac-nor 22' barrel - Remington Model 7 action - Shielen trigger - Brown Precision" Poundr" stock and Leupold 2.5x8 Compact scope with S & K mounts. I had it built with light weight in mind. It weighs about 6.5 pounds.

I'm 58 years old and I find that the older I get -- the lighter my rifles get -- and the more patience I have as a hunter.

Crockett

smhuntley

Howdy all, new guy here. I just relocated back to SoCal after living in CO the last 8 years or so. I'm living in San Diego, but I split my time between SD and a place we have in Silverthorne, CO. Growing up in SoCal with nobody I knew that hunted didn't provide for much of an opportunity for doing any kind of hunting during my first stint here. I started when I moved to CO and have been doing it religiously since, with the exception of this last season's hunt which was cancelled due to my move. I guess a late start at hunting is better than none at all.

I've hunted elk, mule deer, antelope, and upland birds in CO and WY when I was in CO full-time. Wyoming is where I hunt speedgoats and I've been hunting there since '98. We always hunt public land at our favorite spot and we never fail to fill our tags on opening day. We've even managed to shoot some decent ones in the process.

My favorite big-game rifle right now is a Savage 111FC in 7mm Rem Mag. I've been thinking about getting geared up for bow-hunting but haven't gotten around to it yet. For a change I wouldn't mind hunting mulies in SoCal this year, even if they are pretty small and scarce. If there are any other SD area hunters around that ever need an extra meat-hauler, look me up.

Cheers,
Scott

SWAG

I spent most of my adult life in San Diego. Most of my childhood in and around South Dakota. I left Sioux Falls in 1977. I moved back to South Dakota 2 1/2 years ago. Now I have an acreage where I bowhunt for Whitetail. I have always wanted to hunt Pronghorn but just never did it. Here in South Dakota, the pronghorn populations are getting better each year. There are quite a few public places to hunt pronghorn in South Dakota as well. Private land is usually available (so I found out this season). There is a tremendous oppurtunity for Pronghorn in Eastern Montana as well and not the pressure I hear about in Wyoming. I was lucky enough to draw my preference this year in South Dakota where residents can draw two tags: one "any antelope" and one "doe/kidd" tag where you can take a doe or kidd male with horns less than 3 inches.

I have found that ranchers usually like to have hunters take animals here as they compete with the cattle and the sheep for "slim pickens" prairie grass. A rancher told me that he needs about 40 acres per cow for graze. Couple the sparse graze with drought conditions and then some ranchers could possibly lose cattle to competing antelope. I have found that in this area, quite a few ranchers actually enjoy hunting themselves and they take pride in having others hunt their land for pronghorn.

As far as gear is concerned I learned this year that if you want a good buck you have to have a good spotting scope. For me (since this was my first hunt) a laser rangefinder was a must. Beyond 180 yards I just can't tell how far they are away; It takes a great deal of hunting experience to be able to guess range on antelope I think. I also learned that Pronghorn hunting is long range. They can see too well and their nose, ears are as good as a deer so it seems. I used a 3 x 9 VXII scope and I never took it off of 9 and I wish I had a 12! Some experienced "old timers" told me that I will want to have a quality bi-pod that will extend long enough for a sitting shot because of the sage and tall grass. I was glad that I listened to their advise because they were right on the money! I use a Tikka .270. It has an adjustable trigger which came out of the box at 3 1/4 lbs. After hunting I realized that I need to take the trigger down to about 2 1/2 lbs. I don't handload yet, my rifle likes Hornady 130 gr. interbond in "light magnum". I am hooked on Pronghorn hunting and as Arnold would say "I'll be back"!

Bottom line is that herds here are quite healthy and the opportunity for hunting pronghorn abounds!

Penn kid

I am from Pennsylvania and I have taken two antelope in So. Dakota, a buck and a doe with a .270. I love pronghorn hunting and the meat is terrific.

hunt.with.hoyt

im from nv, i got my first antelope about 6 years ago with a browning a-bolt 270. this year i drew a tag for archery! from what everyone tells me its gonna be one hard hunt!

buffybr

I currently live in SW Montana. I shot my first Pronghorn antelope in the early 70's when I lived in NW Colorado. It was a 12" buck that I shot with my .30-06.

In 1975 I moved from Colorado to Montana and I have hunted pronghorns almost every year since taking at least one buck and maybe a doe every hunt. My first few antelope were shot with my .30-06 and 150 gr handloads. In the late 70's I built a .257 Ackley and I have used that with 117 gr Sierra GK or 120 gr Hornady HP bullets for all my deer/antelope/ and sheep hunting. I have also hunted pronghorns in SW Wyoming.

Pronghorn antelope make beautiful mounts, and I have 7 of them mounted varying in size from my first buck with 12" horns to my best with 16" horns. I don't need any more pronghorn mounts, so I just shoot small bucks and does now.

As for Oryx, or Gemsbok, I shot three of them in South Africa, and I'll describe their hunts in the African section.

Top Bottom