• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Bear?

Houndsmen

I hunt Southern California Black Bears with Plott hounds. I have three Plotts. Several of my buddies have Walkers, Black and Tans and some other mixed breeds. We usually use 30'06 rifles ( short ones because of all the brush) or .44 mags. If you ever get a chance to hunt bears with hounds, no matter what breed, it is awesome!!! There is nothing like hearing the hounds treed or bayed up on a big bear.

HUNTERJOHN

WELL LETS START WITH MY NAME IS JOHN AND I HAVE NEVER HUNTED BEAR BEFORE, THIS SPRING WILL BE MY FIRST TIME HUNTING BEAR, AND I WILL BE DOING SO WITH A BOW AND ARROW. I HOPE TO GAIN SOME VALUABLE INFORMATION AND MAYBE IF I WORK HARD ENOUGH I WILL HARVEST A BEAR THIS SPRING.

deermagnet

Hey Folks,
Howdy, I hunt mostly in Northern California. Up here we are just sworming with bears. We hunt them any way you would like, hounds, spot and stock, early archery. Have a few hunts left still and we are getting snow so the big boars should be on the move. Give a shout if anyone is interested. Oh yea my dream hunt is moose and bear with a bow. Love that bow hunting.
good luck everyone,
deermagnet

shedhunternb

Hi my name is Dave.Been hunting bears [black] for quite a while now,25 years. Don,t use bait. I watch trails and old roads. I use my 270 Win in a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle.We have a spring season here in New Brunswick, so I carry my gun while shed hunting.

recurver67

Hello, I'm Jerry from southern Michigan. I put in for the draw in the eastern U.P of MI. If I get drawn it will be my 1st bear hunt. I plan on hunting with my recurve over bait and have my backup 454 casull. I'll find out June 6, got my fingers crossed.

Hello to everyone! My name is Ryan and live in the game rich province of Manitoba. My first word was "bear" (no lie) and was raised in a bowhunting family. I've had the privledge of hunting some of the best area for Blackies around and managed to harvest some really good ones. Managed to stick my third booner this spring and am looking forward to a big taxidermy bill. My booners are all different colors so I think they all deserve life size mounts! I often dream of a spot and stalk bowhunt for brown bear...maybe one day. This is my bear from this year.

Attachments

upperEA

Good luck on your draw Jerry. Hope you get the chance to come up and get your first bear. I live in central UP Schoolcraft county. We got plenty up here so you should have at chance a him

Nice Nice bear Ryan. Love the color phases

Widux

Ryan,
Those are beauts- i've hunted MB 3 times and taken 2 nice bears over bait and hunted many years in Alaska BUT have'nt yet found a nice color phase bear- maybe next year? I used to hunt MB before non res needed a guide and that was fun around Oak Lake, Hartney,and Pleasant Valley. In those days i was married to a lady from Griswold.

recurver67

Awesome bears Ryan. Upper, I got lucky and will be headed up this fall. We put in for Newberry's third period. were going to be just west of Detour. I hope there will be lots of bears. Thanks -Jerry

JEV

I'm from North West Minnesota and this will be my first year hunting bear. I've hunted pretty much everything else in my part of the state, but I've never got a chance at a bear. I've been baiting for two weeks now and my bait sites have been getting hit every night. I finally got a game camera out Sunday night. I had the camera set up at 7pm and when I checked the pics Monday evening, the bear had been there at 7:30. Must be a hungry bugger. I plan on using my .50cal Optima Pro with a 300gr Hornady XTP Mag for my first bear. If and when I get another shot at a second bear this year, I plan on using my bow. Only 2 more days till season opens!!!
JEV

upperEA

Good luck JEV hope you get a monster
Be sure and post the pics when you do or better yet let's see those game cam pics. Great to have you to the site
Surf around a bit and I think you will be hooked as so many of us are.

Hi all, new to site and want to say hi. I live in north east wisconsin and I bowhunt either spot and stalk or stand hunt in norther ontario. I use a golden eagle splitfire 32 with vapor carbon arrows tipped with unstoppable muzzy 100

bukmastr

I hunt in Wisconsin mainly, but I have interest in hunting some remote areas of Canada. I shot my 1st bear with dogs and a rifle. I now just bow hunt them.
We have to draw a tag and it takes a few years to get a tag. I have drawn 3 tags so far.

1st bear ever, (small) many, many, moons ago.

500 pounder shot with bow near Wausa Wisc.

400 pound bow bear arrowed near Ashland Wisc.

mefishme

I am in Maine, we can trap , bait and hound here, I have Called in a big sow once using a fawn in distress.. let her walk cause she had 4 cubs..I am baiting for the first time this year, There is a monster around His track is 7" wide!! will need a wheeler to get him out. I am thinking of using my rem 7600 in 3006 but may use my bow or my 44 mag revolver or my new CVA Kodiak pro.. My dream hunt for bear would be a Mt griz with moose and caribou on the side.. I have a rem 700 in 338 win mag i picked up just for that hunt!! mfm

Monsterbull

Live in CA Bay Area, now hunt mostly in N. Cal wilderness. Enjoy spot & stalk archery, but only started chasing bears last season. Hope to double up on deer/bear combo this year! Stick 'em!

Top Bottom