• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Bear?

worldclasssniper

Name's Marc, from Santa Clarita CA (by Magic Mountain, North of LA by about 40 miles. This is my first year hunting animals of any sort. I was in the Marine Corps and am lookng for something fun and plentiful. My uncles are all hunters so I am learning from them. I have a deer and a bear tag. I wasnt initially planning on trying to exclusively hunt bear, more of a hunt the deer and see if I find a bear type scenario, but now I think I will go for the deer, and if/when I get it, I will definitely plan another trip exlusively for bear. I will be either using a 30-06 or a 7mm mag.

grotezk

My name is Edgar im from Compton,CA. I would use my weatherby vanguard s2 30-06 with my Remington 12g super mag as a backup.
id like to try to spot and stalk seeing as in 2015 alot of changes have been made..no hounds, baiting or scent baiting ect. Allowed...any veterans with invaluable info tips and techniques for a newby please share the wealth.im looking into d14...d11 areas. I like to go out by myself but ive heard its not recommended.

OPAH

Rialto, Ca, ANF and SBNF, got my twosome at Clarks Ranch, 2X2 buck first of the Morning and about an hour later a bear sniffing the blood of the deer I popped. used my Browning BOSS 30/06 Super year for me.

JustGuy

Banned
MHP is not interested in bear hunting, and i do not want to go alone remembering my last 4 bear hunts. So i'm stuck pretty much with deer hunt.

OPAH

Where were you and what happened on those last 4 Bear hunts?
OK is this wrong, do I need to go some where else to ask?
Don't want to step on it again

Last edited:

JustGuy

Banned
They were very successful hunts, but 3 of them were very difficult and the 4th one even i harvested the bear 100 yards from the road, due to the terrain and me being only with my wife and my daughter took some significant afford.
So, i know the value of a hunting partner, that's it.
While i often hunt alone, for bear i will not do it.

Brnsvllyjohn

I agree with JustGuy. One of the toughest game retrieves I was ever involved in was a big bear my buddy shot. Never again. Now we still shoot bears occasionally but not where we cannot get them out easily. I saw one really big bear last year in D-3 that was too tough for me to retrieve so I ignored it. I saw a couple of others also but anymore for me they need to be around 150-200 pounds and not impossible to retrieve. I like bear meat but it needs to be in the right location for me to take one now. I do hunt by myself a lot since I hunt weekdays as much as possible.
As far as where I hunt bears it is mostly in D 3-5 because that is the area I know.

OPAH

OK thought maybe you got one of those Bears from Hell that wanted to even the score. totally understand dragging them out alone, wore the adrenaline off really quick.

Top Bottom