Where Are You From & Where Do You Hunt Caribou?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
How about some introductions?

Where are you from & where do you hunt caribou?

Do you use a firearm or bow?

Who taught you how to hunt caribou?

What is your dream Caribou hunt?

I live in Southern California and I've never been caribou hunting myself but dream of one day hunting in AK or Canada for bou.

bou-hunter

Reaction score
I'm from Leelenau County, Michigan (near Traverse City). Have hunted caribou in Quebec, Newfoundland and Northwest Territories. This fall we'll be going to Nunavut. My dream caribou hunt after that will be for Mountain Caribou in either British Columbia or the MacKenzie Mountains in Northwest Territories. We hunt with rifles. I got hooked on caribou hunting by going with my Father-In-Law (lot easier to sell the wife on it when I'm going with her Dad!!).

woodster

Reaction score
I am from southern B.C. and I guide for mountain caribou in northern central B.C. I'm actually leaving for six weeks in 26 days. Can't wait to be glassing bulls in a high alpine bowl laying in the sun.

Rex

Reaction score
I live in Nuuk, Greenland.

I plan to use my Steyr-Mannlicher M72 in 30-06 with soft points.

I plan to hunt in the Nuuk area, where Caribou hunting is unlimited this year, no special Caribou License needed, no limit on the number that you are allowed to get.

This year, the authorities hope that the number of Caribou's hunted will exeed 45,000 animals, which is quite a number, in a country with 56,000 inhabitants.

Terrain is Arctic Tundra, and I hope to get a couple of experienced friends as guides for the first couple of hunts. I have newer hunted Caribou before, but have been advised by friends, that here in Greenland Caribou are very easy to hunt.

Happy hunting from Greenland
Jesper Rex

master guide

Reaction score
I AM FROM NOVA SCOTIA CANADA I HAVE GUIDED FOR BARREN GROUND CARIBOU IN LABADOR. AND WOODLAND CARIBOU IN NEWFOUNDLAND. I THINK THAT NEWFOUNDLAND HAS THE ONLY HUNTABLE HERD OF WOODLAND CARIBOU LEFT IN NORTH AMERICA MG.

Kusko

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I hunt caribou here in Western Alaska where I live. In the fall, we hunt by float plane and in the winter we hunt by snowmachine.

I use a variety of guns from the .270 to .375 h&h. I have tried to get one with my bow for a number of years, but I usually resort to my rifle.

Attachments

Reaction score
Great bull ,I went last year to northern quebec i took two nice bulls
with my longbow. congrats.

Widux

Reaction score
I lived in Fai AK from 74-98 and hunted Boo from Unalakleet-to denali Highway to the pah river- since 98 i haven't hunted them.

drjrobjr

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Jesse Roberts. Live in Louisiana and have hunted caribou in the Makenzie Mountains in NWT. Will be in better shape next time. Beautiful country. Hunt with a bow. Going the Quebec in 2005 with Jack Humes Outfitters. Can't wait!

buffybr

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Bozeman, Montana. I first hunted caribou in 1980 when four friends and I went to the Alaska peninsula near King Salmon on a self guided hunt. One 180 gr Nosler Partition from my .30 Gibb took a good, but not great bull.

The next time I hunted caribou was in 1999 in the MacKenzie mountains on a Dall sheep hunt with Gana River Outfitters. After taking a very good Dall ram, we flew to a spike camp where my guide had seen some great caribou on the previous hunt. When I got there most of the caribou had left that area and I ended up shooting a bull on the 4th day that I had passed up twice previously. One 117 gr Sierra from my .257 Ackley and I had my Mountain Caribou. Again a good, but not great bull. I had him mounted in full velvet.

The last time that I hunted caribou was in 2004 on a combination Caribou/Musk Ox hunt in northern Northwest Territories with Bekere Lake Outfitters. Two 160 gr Nosler Accubonds from my 7mm Rem Mag gave me two Central Canadian Barren Ground Caribou, one of which qualified for B&C. I also shot a great Musk Ox on that trip that also qualified for B&C, and that I had mounted life size. There are pictures of these two caribou and my Musk Ox in the Caribou section of the JHO Hunting Photos.

For my next caribou hunt, I hope to go to northern Quebec. Maybe in 2008.

Top Bottom